550XP Muffler Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we get a few more pics? Like to understand better where to add a second hole. A lot of old photos seem to be missing :(

There have been enough posts that I am guessing it doesn't just sound louder/faster, but actually is?

I like the idea of prying it open, working inside, and TIG welding the deflector seam back closed.

What kind of paint holds up to the heat?

I don't have a TIG welder, nor the skill to use one. If I get by the saw again I can post a pic.
IMHO, if this is a working saw, there is no weld time required. I removed the 4 muff bolts, removed the screen from the muff and pryed open the deflector enough to get a drill bit under it. There is only room to the right of the existing port to drill a 3/8" hole. You could use a dremel also with the right grinding burr. I had to use a smaller diameter bit first to center the hole, and drilled it out. Once the hole was drilled, I smoothed out the edges of the new hole, reinstalled the screen, and reinstalled the muffler. I did end up with bend marks on the deflector, but I really don't mind the way the exhaust system looks on any saw. It was not as pretty as some of the gurus on this site like it, but it worked and I got a saw with seemingly more speed and torque.

I did not tach the saw before and after, nor did I measure torque, but it sure seemed to cut faster and rev a little higher, faster.

I welded a larger deflector on mine with the whole area under it cut open. Also removed near all of the baffle with a long shank bur which I shouldn't have. She be real real loud. My 562 is done the same way. Spark screen intact. Hardly ever use the 550 compared to the bigger saws but I still refuse to get rid of it :).

69804aa2b261b873ff90e7bc3db102d4.jpg

It's not a muffler mod, but I cut a 016" gasket and got the squish down to 020"

Added a nice little extra gain, no 10mm compression gauge so can't say exactly.
Bit faster, and a heap more torque.

I know that there is a ton of info out here on 550xp muffler mods, but I can't seem to find any reports of quantifiable improvements like timed cut comparison before and after the muffler mod. Lots of anecdotal evidence like "really woke up", etc., which sounds good, but doesn't really help me to decide if it is really worth the cost. By cost I mean extra noise, voided warranty, risk of stripped threads, shavings in the cylinder, etc. I know that these risks aren't high, but still a factor. Anyone know of any measured results?

I also did not find anything quantitative. Only qualitative, sadly...

I remember seeing some posts about a chainsaw dyno but I'm not sure what happened to the project.

To comment on your feedback: I can't tell a difference with earmuffs on, the risk of stripped threads is very low unless you overtighten the muffler bolts or cross thread them like a tool, and blow it out well and you should be good on shavings.

I know that there is a ton of info out here on 550xp muffler mods, but I can't seem to find any reports of quantifiable improvements like timed cut comparison before and after the muffler mod. Lots of anecdotal evidence like "really woke up", etc., which sounds good, but doesn't really help me to decide if it is really worth the cost. By cost I mean extra noise, voided warranty, risk of stripped threads, shavings in the cylinder, etc. I know that these risks aren't high, but still a factor. Anyone know of any measured results?

If you're paying someone to do it, I would say it isn't worth it. Adding an additional port to the stock muffler (under the deflector) yielded 10-12%.

I never compared the one I have from Alex, but I would say it gained a little over my last one. Problem with these mufflers, is that they get loud, FAST.

That is what is so impressive about the muffler I got from Alex. I don't know that it is much louder than stock. Cant queens are one thing, but I don't like a loud saw for work- and neither does anybody else around me.

Who is Alex? I'd be interested in having him maybe mod mine. Just don't want it crazy loud. My ms290 muffler mod was super loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The link u gave sent me to a thread about a 359 and 340. Didn't see him on there. Is he fairly close to oh?

The link u gave sent me to a thread about a 359 and 340. Didn't see him on there. Is he fairly close to oh?

I dont know what you clicked on, try that link again. It worked for me. A.E. Metal Werx is his AS handle, he is somehwhere in the midwest I believe.

Latest posts

Back