550xp or 562xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesmith

tree hugger/cutter
Reaction score
Hi all, going to push the boss to buy me a new small saw for my truck. I'm in Oz so want a 50cc or 60cc for a 16" 3/8 bar. Currently using my saws which is either 346, 261xb or 357xp but bored of them getting bashed up. We have ms362s and to be honest I'm not a fan, I like the idea of a light weight limbing saw and thinking husky so that means 550 or 562. My preference is probably 550

So, my question, is the 550/562 tough?
Will they take being thrown in a toolbox with a 461 thrown in on top or do bits start falling off. Im not always in this truck so whichever saw we get needs to put up with the occasional moron who doesn't treat things nicely.

Cheers all

Andy

It will be a company owned saw so will need its own bar. I've got a cannon bar 3/8 .063 on the 357 and a gb pro .325 .050 for the 346 which I'd rather was 3/8 .063 too All the roll chain the company and I have in 3/8 is 36RM/RS(.063) and nothing in .325 of any gauge. I'd rather not donate my cannon to the company plus my saws need it. I'm guessing husky don't do a 16" 3/8 .063 bar so the other option is running 16" picco on the 550, we've got loads of that. I'm not faffing around buying loops, pretty sure the boss would not be impressed either

Do husky make a bar that runs stihl picco?

I'll ask but I think he'll prefer buying in Au

I love Jonsereds, dunno how I haven't got one any more

Do husky make a bar that runs stihl picco?

The bar is the easy part (at least in the mount for the 550) the sprocket is the complicating factor. Only Stihl currently offers anything besides a six tooth spur sprocket that I am aware of. The rims that fit on those saw's splined drums are not ideal, they seem to work well enough for me on less powerful stuff. Why 1/4 inch rim sprockets to fit on small spline drums are offered but not picco ones is kind of odd to my thinking.

Can't go wrong with either - but if you want to run 3/8 063 I'd go a 562.
Tsumura sell husky mount solid bars - mcw will sort you out - for sensible money in 3/8 063 large mount husky, or you can run a stihl bar with an adapter.
Small mount on the 550 makes finding a suitable bar for sensible money a bit harder.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, trouble is a 562 isn't much smaller than the 461, ideally need something between a 200t and a 461

My 346 was perfect, that's why I'm thinking 550

550 and 562 are great saws, well built. Yes they will take being thrown in tool boxes. I've been running them for several years in my tree service. Very pleased... crushed a 550 it was 16 inches in the mud from a tree all it did was bend the bar and break the chain tensioner... we just threw it in the bed thinking it was trashed I looked it over and found it was good... I still love my 346 though...

I would make sure the 461 isn't set on top of a 550 if possible. They are not as durable as Stihl, especially that gray cover that will look terrible in no time in a tool box.

The 550xp is one saw I never leave behind when heading out to the landing....they are a great big saw hiding out in a small body :)

Is a 562 pretty similar to the 357? I've got it in my head that the 562 is bigger, 357 seems pretty small to me

Back