550XP Updates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh good lord.... don't say THAT..... his head is already swollen enough, ..... don't EVER tell the TROLL he is right, if his head explodes , he'll get messy grey stuff all over those pretty lil 346xp's of his...... :crazy2:;)

I haven't really been negative to Zama in general, only to the models that doesn't seem to work well, or when there are better options.
That said, I have been making some jokes about the brand being owned by Stihl, when Zama carbs seem to create problems on a Husky. :D

That is a seriously good question. The dealer looked me in the eye & said, "Maybe they are going to switch to a Walbro"? This is pure speculation, but it says to me that Zama is not in their good graces right now. Saw Troll has been negative about Zama for some time. Maybe he is right!?

Doesn't the 550xp series saws have Walbro carbs, not Zama?

And my 550xp keeps on working perfect, EVERY time I start it! Like today, when I ripped these oak blocks,

standard.jpg

SR

I am sure that most of them do, and carb trouble is something that can happen to any model of saw or carb.

I believe SawTroll is correct. The 550 has the Walbro AT-1A (as well as the 545 and 455)

Looked a bit into it.

The first 550s had the AT-1, that was replaced by the AT-1A in 2013.

I don't know what happened inbetween, but the current IPL (dated 2016-03) shows the AT-7A being replaced by the AT-12 from s/n 2016 1000481 (+ a couple of other changes). More changes are listed in the 2016-02 IPL.

Attachments

• 550XP IPL_2016-03.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 550XP IPL 2016-02.pdf
    451 KB · Views: 45
There actually is a new top introduced from serial number 20154800241 onwards. So most dealers wont have seen one yet.

Do you have the 550xp IPL where that change is listed?

Btw, a similar change was made on the 560xp, by 2015 week 50.

Btw2, it is quite annoying that Husky now are replacing the new IPLs on their website when there is a new one, and not add it. This makes it difficult to keep track of the development, without saving every new IPL - which is hard to do when you don't know when they appear.

A great service to the costumers isn't as great as it was any more... :(

Ok. My saw is at the cabin but I have several pics. What angles would help?
Anything that would show the differences in the new top cover im thinkn i can "modify" mine and have a like new top cover:)

You have more trust and patience than me, I'd be telling them to keep it and find me a 346 someplace.

Too late. I sold my 346 to a friend back in 2015. I had run his 550 stock & after porting & unfortunately, I liked the 550 better. Had I known all the trouble I'd run into it never would have happened. The 550 I have now is a week 18 2015 & most likely a turd as well after reading Sawtroll's info.

image.jpeg

Just to clarify, that's the serial from my 562 which we've determined is before the updated air filter cover. It runs like a mad man!

Sorry, I missed that. I agree my 562 is the same.

Back