562 xp vs. 372 xp vs. ms 461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katera94

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im looking to start a tree trimming/cutting business, and want to invest in something that can handle atleast a 25" bar.. I currently have a 290 and would like to stick with stihl because I had a 450 e series husky and this 290 is just way nicer to me... but it does seem like a lot of professionals around here use a 372... and I guess im wondering if the 562 is even in this class, my dealer is telling me its the way to go, and its $250 cheaper than the 461..

yes

ya your right i have had both in my shop the 372xp is one hell of a saw for 71 cc .it cuts like crazy compared to a stihl . but it will not last as long as a stihl can . i would look into a dolmar 7900 or a 7910 . if there local. there one bad ass saws made by the Germans . the 461 is one nice saw tho can pull up to a 36 no problem . it has more power then the 372 xp . its up to you man what ever you prefer really . thanks

I'd imagine a 562 on a 24" bar (stihl 25" is same DL) would be pretty disappointing. Mine is lovely with an 18", and a 20" would be fine, but any more would mean a modified saw, soft wood, patience, or a level of ninja chain sharpening that I don't possess.
Its a great saw, but not a huge step up from your 290.

But I hate undersized saws/oversized bars.

im looking to start a tree trimming/cutting business, and want to invest in something that can handle atleast a 25" bar.. I currently have a 290 and would like to stick with stihl because I had a 450 e series husky and this 290 is just way nicer to me... but it does seem like a lot of professionals around here use a 372... and I guess im wondering if the 562 is even in this class, my dealer is telling me its the way to go, and its $250 cheaper than the 461..

I can't speak for the 461 personally as I've never used one. I have a 372 and a 562, though my 562 isn't broken in yet, so I'm reserving judgement on it too. I have owned a 660 and played with some 440/460's and others. Basically some more info is needed before rendering an informed opinion.

1. What type(s) of wood will you be routinely be cutting?
2. What bar length(s) do you want to run and which will be the primary length?
3. Are you only doing ground work, or are you planning on climbing too?

I do some cleanup jobs from time to time and am a decent firewood hack. I will always love cutting wood, but to make a small fortune you have to start with an enormous fortune. The rates are lousy, the insurance premiums can be nasty and people have no appreciation of the effort and knowledge that goes into doing a complicated job, cleanly. The wood I sell makes about enough money to cover the wood I burn to heat my house. If I factored labor into it, I'd be in the red before I ever sold a stick. I'm not trying to discourage you, rather just making sure that you're not about to ruin your finances and/or get sued over delusions of riches.

The 290 is a fair firewood saw. I don't blame you for not being a fan of the 450. You'd be surprised what you could do with a pro-grade 50cc/70cc saw combo as that covers a fair amount of the cutting needs for many.

If you're primarily wanting to run a 25" bar in softwood, the 562 will likely do well for you but a 20" might run better. Alternatively, you might also look at a Sithl MS440/441 or a Dolmar (or Makita branded version)6400/10. In hardwoods, (Oak, Hedge, Mulberry, Ash, Hackleberry, etc), or if you would like the ability to pull a 28" bar, you'll want the Stihl MS441 or 461, Dolmar 7900, Husqvarna 372xp, 576xpAT or 385XP. These saws have more displacement and better oilers. They're also heavier and equal to or more expensive than a 562, but are vastly more suitable to the task at hand and more solidly built. I have a 28" bar that I run on my 372, but even being ported, it's a hard pull in Oak, Hedge and Locust. It's also biggest option that I have right now so it'll have to do. On the coasts or in areas of dense conifers, you can do more with less. In the mid-west, we tend to run large motors relative to the bar length due to the demands of the wood. I'm not trying to suggest that you need a 3120 to sever a twig, but it's always nice to have a saw with a bit more capability than you need.

To give you a bit of context for my statement, the 4 working saws in my sig line are normally outfitted and used as follows:
Husqvarna 372xp: 20-28" bars, at least until I pick up a 395 Husky then I'll stick with a 24" bar as that would be ideal for that saw.
Makita (Dolmar) 6401: 20" bar - very well balanced combo. If I ever drop a 7900 piston and cylinder on it, it'll likely wear 24" bar with the ability to run a 28"
Husqvarna 562XPAT: 20" bar - a bit anemic at the moment but it's breaking in. an 18" bar might be perfect, but I'll probably stick with a 20"
Stihl MS261: 16" bar running .050-3/8" chain. If I ran .325 I'd probably bump it up to an 18" bar, but I like not having to sort by loop size AND pitch and a 16" bar balances nicely.

I apologize for being long-winded, but I'd like to see you be happy with the ultimate decision(s) you make after parting with money. Buyer's remorse is a P.I.T.A. If you're honest with yourself about what you ultimately want to accomplish, size your saws accordingly and you'll be pretty happy. Good luck and safe sawing!

Can't say much about Stihl because I've never touched one.:hmm3grin2orange:
562 will run a 28, but it'll be working hard.
I'd run a 24 on the 372 and get a 562 with a 20, that's me.
It's your decision, but Husky rules.

ya your right i have had both in my shop the 372xp is one hell of a saw for 71 cc .it cuts like crazy compared to a stihl . but it will not last as long as a stihl can . i would look into a dolmar 7900 or a 7910 . if there local. there one bad ass saws made by the Germans . the 461 is one nice saw tho can pull up to a 36 no problem . it has more power then the 372 xp . its up to you man what ever you prefer really . thanks

I'd really like to know where you came up with the info that a 372 "will not last as long as a stihl can". That is almost laughable. There are thousands of 372xp's out there with more hours than you've ever dreamed still getting beat daily.

Anyway, to the OP. That 290 is not likely to last long in a day to day work environment. It'll work but not ideal. If you just want 1 saw to start, a 562xp is a great start. However, if you're serious a 550 and 372 would be a better match.

Can't say much about Stihl because I've never touched one.:hmm3grin2orange:
562 will run a 28, but it'll be working hard.
I'd run a 24 on the 372 and get a 562 with a 20, that's me.
It's your decision, but Husky rules.

And you've used both saws to know this right?

What I meant was you followed that thread and then you looked at my profile and now you're here. Suspicious.
I don't really care though, it's just a forum.

The 562 is a real nice saw, but I wouldn't run 24" bar on one all the time.
60cc saws even the now "legendary cure all to the worlds ills" 562xp is best suited with 20" bars.

24" bars is the domain of 70cc saws I've spent the last few days cutting a with a 2166. And it feels as strong
as the old 372 non strato saw. Either it or the 365xt are the best bang for the buck saws and can be had in the
700-800$ range. The 372 is a great saw and not alot more than the 2166/365XT.
The 461 is the strongest out of those saws but 200$ more than a 372.
But if you have to run a bigger bar to stump a tree it'll do it. I've got a tree company that replaced it's
064's with 461's recently all running 32" bars.

Since you are beginning a business I would try to begin small. Little investment means little that can go wrong!

I'm not quite sure you really know what you need!!! and you are going by what you would like!!!

First of I would sell that 290 and 450 real quick! The upper medium size saw is what you need the most and you are wasting your time with homeowner stuff! If you haven't done a muffler mod on both and eliminated the cat on the 450e you have no idea what they are capable of.

Further I would seriously think about another brand of saw to begin with. You can save a wad of $$$ on the second line player instead of the top dog! You won't be that much slower after a muffler mod, retune and quality chain. And if we are honest, never really measured, but I would guess that you spend at least 5-10x the amount of time on clean up compared to cutting. I would think that you would be very happy with a Echo 600p(can be found on the inet for very little money if your patient) and a Echo 355TH. That would be an excellent team for a small business. If you really need a saw that can handle a 25" bar the motto is "used"!!! Typically the "big" saws get used less than small saws. So these you can buy used since they are usually still in good shape internly. Typically the fellows here have very good models (f.e. give nmurph a call) that they are willing to depart from.
If you want a business then seriously, not any fooling around a little bit. Having a TOP OF THE LINE saw will do nothing for your business but make a serious dent in your budget. It will take time to aquire regular customers and that will be difficult enough. Paying for saws is the smallest part of your investment. Think insurance, truck, trailer, further equipment, etc.

Good luck!

I agree. For your bigger saw and a startup business, used is the way to go. Something like a 660 or 288xp. They'll run a 25" bar in soft or hardwood even if the chain is a little dull. If you happen to be using this saw a lot, maybe step up to a 385/390. If weight is a big factor, then the 372 is certainly a good option. I really dig my 272 for a good mix of power and light weight but it's not quite as smooth (anti vibe) as a 372. Personally, I only use my 288 or 394 with bars longer than 20". I currently have a 24" bar on my little homeowner 455, but that's the bar that came with the saw and it's handy for limbing as I don't have to bend and reach as much.

I Think all three saws are great saws, but like someone else said there's a gap in your plan...I would sooner have a saw in the 261...550 class for limbing and small stuff and then one in the 70cc class for the larger trees...then i'd still through in the 562 just because it's an awesome saw.
It's not fair matching the 461 against the 372.... maybe the 441?

first off thanks for all the replys everyone I got something from almost everyone of your posts.. but I don't know if my question really got answered.. first I would like to stick with husky or stihl just because I like my local dealer.. my plans for my 290 are to keep it till it ####s out on me then get a mid size pro saw, and ill judge my hand saw on what feels best.. I am buying myself a big saw to use just when I need it, im not planning on cutting up fire wood with it.. but heres my question.. im undecided about what size bar im putting on it but im sure it wont be over a 28, so if I would get a 390, 395 or 660 would that just be a waste of power over a 372 or 461 since im not running a 30+ inch bar, or will I really be able to notice a power difference on only a 28" bar.. then to tie in my original question what are ur experiences with the stihl vs. husky big bores. the 562 is outta my head I had heard with that quick rev engine it ran like a 70cc saw but im since found a lot of argument against that...

first off thanks for all the replys everyone I got something from almost everyone of your posts.. but I don't know if my question really got answered.. first I would like to stick with husky or stihl just because I like my local dealer.. my plans for my 290 are to keep it till it ####s out on me then get a mid size pro saw, and ill judge my hand saw on what feels best.. I am buying myself a big saw to use just when I need it, im not planning on cutting up fire wood with it.. but heres my question.. im undecided about what size bar im putting on it but im sure it wont be over a 28, so if I would get a 390, 395 or 660 would that just be a waste of power over a 372 or 461 since im not running a 30+ inch bar, or will I really be able to notice a power difference on only a 28" bar.. then to tie in my original question what are ur experiences with the stihl vs. husky big bores. the 562 is outta my head I had heard with that quick rev engine it ran like a 70cc saw but im since found a lot of argument against that...

I have 3 of the saws you listed:372,390,562. If you want to run a 28" bar all the time then get the 390.

372=24"
562=20"
390=28"

Latest posts

Back