Going to buy a new saw , just figuring on which one to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
689.00 with a 20 inch bar
Facebook husky dealer
Call around you might find a good
Deal.
There are two othe Husky dealers within 25 miles of me I might call them and see. Stihl is easy to find around here there seems to be one in every corner. I’d drive a little bit out of my immediate area if I can find that kind of savings.

There are two othe Husky dealers within 25 miles of me I might call them and see. Stihl is easy to find around here there seems to be one in every corner. I’d drive a little bit out of my immediate area if I can find that kind of savings.
I always shop around
Check site sponsor's here

I've owned them all as well. I'm just a firewood hack. Average 200 cords of blocked wood a year, shooting for 300 this year since the winter was longer and colder last year and we sold out. Thank God I don't have to split the stuff! Here are my short opinions:
261c Solid, same bar mounts as the larger stihls.
550xp Some have had hot re-start problems, otherwise a 10 in my book. Biggest, littlest chainsaw you will find.
562xp Tweener. Could be a one saw plan but for just a bit more the 372xp is right there.
362c same as /\ above.
372xp Nothing not to like. Tried and proven for years. I happen to like the Xtorque version.
461 77cc, tough saw. I pay 12% off list on both brands but Stihl has a higher resale value.
576xp and 461 aren't to far behnd my 661s wearing a full comp chain up to 28", then Stihl pulls away from there. Feels heavier than it should. SMOOTHEST.
390xp not impressed stock. Ported they are an animal. Again feels heavier than it should.
7910 Dolmar. Air filter sucks without the HD kit. Smooth, strong, bad re-sale. Probably due to dealer support.

So for over 25 chainsaws in the stable my choice would be, 372xt and 550xp. OR 461 and 261. Keeping sharp chains and good fuel/mix there isn't anything you won't be able to do along with great mileage and superior lifetime service of the saw. And those 4 port really well if you wish to make more H.P. Also I've noticed lighter saws in their classes allows me to move faster for better production.

Don't forget to buy the oil to extend the warranty.

I've owned them all as well. I'm just a firewood hack. Average 200 cords of blocked wood a year, shooting for 300 this year since the winter was longer and colder last year and we sold out. Thank God I don't have to split the stuff! Here are my short opinions:
261c Solid, same bar mounts as the larger stihls.
550xp Some have had hot re-start problems, otherwise a 10 in my book. Biggest, littlest chainsaw you will find.
562xp Tweener. Could be a one saw plan but for just a bit more the 372xp is right there.
362c same as /\ above.
372xp Nothing not to like. Tried and proven for years. I happen to like the Xtorque version.
461 77cc, tough saw. I pay 12% off list on both brands but Stihl has a higher resale value.
576xp and 461 aren't to far behnd my 661s wearing a full comp chain up to 28", then Stihl pulls away from there. Feels heavier than it should. SMOOTHEST.
390xp not impressed stock. Ported they are an animal. Again feels heavier than it should.
7910 Dolmar. Air filter sucks without the HD kit. Smooth, strong, bad re-sale. Probably due to dealer support.

So for over 25 chainsaws in the stable my choice would be, 372xt and 550xp. OR 461 and 261. Keeping sharp chains and good fuel/mix there isn't anything you won't be able to do along with great mileage and superior lifetime service of the saw. And those 4 port really well if you wish to make more H.P. Also I've noticed lighter saws in their classes allows me to move faster for better production.

Don't forget to buy the oil to extend the warranty.
The 372 and 550 xp are probably going to be my choices for what I need. I’ve never owned any Huskys but have ran them. Between my MS201tcm , MS310 I’ll keep for a backup saw and keep it in the toolbox of my truck at all times the 372 and 550 should fit the bill.

I think you will be very surprised just how much production you will get out of your plan you are putting together. Those Huskies are very smooth as well. Buying two new saws should get you a nice discount. There is one thing you should know, search this site, Husky is coming out with a 572xp sometime. Maybe have an understanding with your Dealer that when it does, and if you test drive the 572 and like it better he will be willing to do a reasonable trade for you. I happen to like the Auto Tune saws and get along with them well.

View attachment 661714 Well I went into my local Husqvarna dealer to see if they had any 372s and they were sold out , they had a 576 and some smaller pro saws like the 543 and then a smoking deal on this monster. I don’t need it but I almost bought it. It’s more saw than I need but it actually didn’t feel that heavy in hand. It must be balanced well with the 24” bar and chain. I’d say this thing would cut with some authority with this setup.

With a 24” bar on a 395 you’re making my back hurt thinking about that, for giggles here’s my 395 with it’s also the same saw I run a 60” bar on this will hurt a back after a while.

923ecb48e7aa6eb69bd9679508eeac91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a 24” bar on a 395 you’re making my back hurt thinking about that, for giggles here’s my 395 with it’s also the same saw I run a 60” bar on this will hurt a back after a while.

923ecb48e7aa6eb69bd9679508eeac91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the reason you guys out west run the big bars , the east coast most timber cutters around here use 24 or 28 inch bars on 660s , 661s and such. The majority of the timber here will never get half the size of what you guys cut. Two different style of cutting style and wood all together. We bore cut vs the humbolt style but much respect to all of you guys that do it everyday for a living. I’d rather log than what I do but the money isn’t there in my area.

Long time lurker first time poster

The advice about the 562xp is spot on remember goldilocks and the three bears

550xp can be too small 576xp can be too big the 562xp is just right for 90% of what you do east coast , west coast ....

With saws everyone will have opinions and like buttholes some will stink

It's hard to beat a 562 for a one size will do it all saw

What ever you buy, get it from a dealer with a good tech and well stocked parts department
Most will work on a saw bought anywhere but service will be better if bought there same goes with warranty issues

Back