Going to buy a new saw , just figuring on which one to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinSL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m pretty new to the forum but overlook me if I ask a question that’s already been asked but I’ve cut firewood all my life and have experience felling and climbing. I currently have a Stihl ms201TCM and a MS310 and run a 20 inch bar on it. The 310 has been a good saw although not a pro series saw has served me well. I’m looking for a new saw with more power. I’ve ran Husky 365s , 372s , Stihl 460s cutting right of ways and a 660 a few times. I no longer cut for a living but still do tree jobs on the side as I’ve been a Journeyman Lineman for the last 7 years. Now on to what I’m looking for in a saw. I want something that I can run up to a 28 inch bar on because I’m WV you can cut about anything we have with that length. I’d also like to run a 20 on it when the big bar isn’t needed because the 310 is a little slower than what I want in a full cut of hardwood , it was all I could afford at the time and I needed a firewood saw is why I have it. Plus if I needed a bigger saw I used to bring one home from work at the time.So my plan is to maybe get a 16 inch bar for the 310 and maybe put a 290 sprocket on it and start running a .325 chain on it to make it faster and just use it for limbing , small bucking , and anything else that will fit that bill. I’m sure you can put a .325 sprocket and get a bar for a 290 to go on it since it and the ms390 are pretty much the same right? So I’m looking at a Husqvarna 576xp , 390 xp , or maybe a 372 or a 661 Stihl and would run a max airflow system on it since I really don’t like Stihls air filtration on the new saws with the 1/4 setup. So to the guys that have these saws how do they compare? I know the 661 and the 390 will pull a 28 inch bar better than the 576 and the 372 that’s a given but where the 372 and the 576 shine is they weigh less and I won’t need the 28 inch bar all the time but I want a saw that will handle it good when I do need it cutting mostly hardwood. I also do side jobs still and have a few big trees from 30 inches to around 50 inches and need a bigger saw. So what would you guys pick from my choices here? I’m afraid to buy a saw around 70cc and wish I had more but I also don’t want to buy a 90 cc saw and not use it as much because of the weight. I know it’s just a few pounds different between them but that adds up after working all day. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate any input given. Also when I cut right of ways a few years back we ran 24 inch bars for the 70 cc saws and they did ok but I’ve never ran one with a 28.

I love my 372 but never ran a 28" on it. Also love my 661 which I use for 28", 36" and 50" bars. (50" just for milling.) The 372 is one of my favorites but may leave you wishing for more on larger removals. I've heard great things about the 390 but don't own it so I can't comment.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I love my 372 but never ran a 28" on it. Also love my 661 which I use for 28", 36" and 50" bars. (50" just for milling.) The 372 is one of my favorites but may leave you wishing for more on larger removals. I've heard great things about the 390 but don't own it so I can't comment.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
I’ve heard great things about the 390 as well , I’m no saw expert but it looks like a heavier built 372 from what I’ve seen. I’ve ran a 372 with a 24 and it did ok with it so maybe a skip chain on a 28 wouldent be bad.

Get a 390xp before the remake it into a stratosaw

FWIW; I’ve got a 390, and 372. Both are a blast of a good time to run, but I find myself reaching for the 372 more and more. Just something about it. I can’t explain it really. The 372 just feels like it was made for me. The 390 is badass too but it’s like that favorite pair of boots that you grew accustomed to wearing. For me, the 372 is that favorite pair of boots. It just feels right. My 390 feels good but well I’ll spare you. Currently if I were buying I’d go 390 because of the strato deal. But now that I’m thinking maybe I’d just go 372 and spend even more ontop to buy the original husky jug/cylinder carb/piston to turn a new 372 into the og version.....oh man. I love my huskies.

That’s one reason I leaned toward the 390 , I’ve ran the older 372s and they done great. I’ve heard the new ones don’t have the power the originals did.
For 28" I'm pretty sure the new 372 will do just fine when you need it and with a 20" you'll quickly leave your Stihl at home. With the 390 you'll use it more.

For 28" I'm pretty sure the new 372 will do just fine when you need it and with a 20" you'll quickly leave your Stihl at home. With the 390 you'll use it more.
I agree with that the Stihl is to close in weight to a 372 with less power. I may sell the Stihl and just put the money toward a 372 and get a 50cc saw to run with a short bar. For what I need if I had a 372 xp and something like a 550 xp along with my 201t I’d be set for about anything I’d need to do. I like the little 550 a buddy of mine has one and it’s a quick little saw.

In wv myself
Over 35 year's cutting
Rarely need more than my 266/272/372s
With a 24 and 28
Usually a 20.
I've got 288s if ever needed.
Stihl 461 another good choice.
Around 700 or so for a 372
Stihl of course more expensive.
Not many dolmars no local dealer.

In wv myself
Over 35 year's cutting
Rarely need more than my 266/272/372s
With a 24 and 28
Usually a 20.
I've got 288s if ever needed.
Stihl 461 another good choice.
Around 700 or so for a 372
Stihl of course more expensive.
Not many dolmars no local dealer.
Thanks , what part of WV are you in , I’m kind of south western part of the state in Cabell County.

If you often get 30" plus hardwood that you need to fall and buck up, ii would go with the larger 88 or 90cc saws that can handle the 28, 32 or 36 inch bar, the 70cc will be too slow. If its rare then the 310 and the torquey 461 would suit you fine. I have never run a 576 or 390xp so no opinion on those, but i do have the 288xp lite, its retired in my chainsaw museum now except when i have people over who want to hear what a badass earthshaking saw sounds like, since its sounds meaner than my 066 and 394xp.

Hey guys I’m pretty new to the forum but overlook me if I ask a question that’s already been asked but I’ve cut firewood all my life and have experience felling and climbing. I currently have a Stihl ms201TCM and a MS310 and run a 20 inch bar on it. The 310 has been a good saw although not a pro series saw has served me well. I’m looking for a new saw with more power. I’ve ran Husky 365s , 372s , Stihl 460s cutting right of ways and a 660 a few times. I no longer cut for a living but still do tree jobs on the side as I’ve been a Journeyman Lineman for the last 7 years. Now on to what I’m looking for in a saw. I want something that I can run up to a 28 inch bar on because I’m WV you can cut about anything we have with that length. I’d also like to run a 20 on it when the big bar isn’t needed because the 310 is a little slower than what I want in a full cut of hardwood , it was all I could afford at the time and I needed a firewood saw is why I have it. Plus if I needed a bigger saw I used to bring one home from work at the time.So my plan is to maybe get a 16 inch bar for the 310 and maybe put a 290 sprocket on it and start running a .325 chain on it to make it faster and just use it for limbing , small bucking , and anything else that will fit that bill. I’m sure you can put a .325 sprocket and get a bar for a 290 to go on it since it and the ms390 are pretty much the same right? So I’m looking at a Husqvarna 576xp , 390 xp , or maybe a 372 or a 661 Stihl and would run a max airflow system on it since I really don’t like Stihls air filtration on the new saws with the 1/4 setup. So to the guys that have these saws how do they compare? I know the 661 and the 390 will pull a 28 inch bar better than the 576 and the 372 that’s a given but where the 372 and the 576 shine is they weigh less and I won’t need the 28 inch bar all the time but I want a saw that will handle it good when I do need it cutting mostly hardwood. I also do side jobs still and have a few big trees from 30 inches to around 50 inches and need a bigger saw. So what would you guys pick from my choices here? I’m afraid to buy a saw around 70cc and wish I had more but I also don’t want to buy a 90 cc saw and not use it as much because of the weight. I know it’s just a few pounds different between them but that adds up after working all day. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate any input given. Also when I cut right of ways a few years back we ran 24 inch bars for the 70 cc saws and they did ok but I’ve never ran one with a 28.
Put an 046 carb on that 310
And open up the exhaust
It'll surprise you.
If you go with a 372 or whatever 20180620_132306_Burst01.jpg and want it ported
Zoo city saw's randy does excellent work.

We run 32’s on 372 in red alder out here in the PNW, also 390’s, as well as 562’s. To me Stihl saws are a non starter they vibrate too much well cutting my hands can’t take it everyday, at the end of the day it’s worth having a little feeling in my hands vs dropping an ice cold adult beverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run 32’s on 372 in red alder out here in the PNW, also 390’s, as well as 562’s. To me Stihl saws are a non starter they vibrate too much well cutting my hands can’t take it everyday, at the end of the day it’s worth having a little feeling in my hands vs dropping an ice cold adult beverage.

Definitely can’t have alcohol abuse. The new antivibe in the Stihls are better than they used to be the new ones have a spring instead of the rubber grommets if I’m not mistaken,they may be better but I haven’t ran a new one so I can’t confirm that.

Definitely can’t have alcohol abuse. The new antivibe in the Stihls are better than they used to be the new ones have a spring instead of the rubber grommets if I’m not mistaken,they may be better but I haven’t ran a new one so I can’t confirm that.

I tried a 661 it’s smoother the the 66’s were but still not great.

Latest posts

Back