562xp or something else

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Reaction score
I joined the forum last year to get some info on wood heating.
I was perfectly happy with my 3 saw plan, 038 mag, 026 and wild thing (loaner saw). While browsing the site, I made the mistake of looking at the chainsaw forum. Since then I bought two new saws, ms261 and ms460. I also acquired a pioneer p28e and a restored Mall 0mg.
I only buck logs into rounds for firewood (so far), about 10 cords a year and am only able to cut on weekends. I have a logger who brings me loads of logs, 90% oak and 10% hickory. The logs are mostly 14" to 20" and a few 20" to 30" in diameter. Most logs are 12' to 15' in length.
I realize that I probably have enough saws to buck a few logs but I feel that adding a 60cc class saw would make things more better and mainly because, I want one.
I've handled the Stihl ms362, Jonsered cs2166 and Husqvarna 562xp. I feel that I can live with any of the three but I'm leaning toward the 562. It looks the best on paper but going only on specs often leaves one disappointed.
From what I've read, bucking is harder on a saw than limbing or felling. The saw is running at WOT with not much idle time between cuts.
I'm looking for opinions from you guys. You have forgotten more than I'll probably ever know about saws. Although I have figured out that the proper number of saws is, one more than I have now.
Is the 562 up to the task of bucking for 5-6 hours a day 1-3 days a week, or should I be looking at something else?
Would porting whatever I buy be advantageous?

Best,
Steve

Dolmar 6400 / Makita 6401. Especially if you're lucky enough to score a lightly used one from Home Depot for low bucks.

Dolmar 6400 / Makita 6401. Especially if you're lucky enough to score a lightly used one from Home Depot for low bucks.

I'd get the smallest and most nimble saw on your list (the 562). Your MS 460 is not that much larger than a 2166 or a 6401. Might as well save on weight and size and get something a little sleeker. Otherwise don't bother.

The only Dolmar dealer in the area is an arrogant prick. When I went to look at saws, he acted like he didn't want to be bothered. I even called ahead to make an appointment, he's a small dealer.

Seems like Ive seen quite a few issues on AS with the 562, but thats not to say that is representative of all of the other 562s out there. I have ran a couple, and they are very strong saws and good on fuel to boot.

The only Dolmar dealer in the area is an arrogant prick. When I went to look at saws, he acted like he didn't want to be bothered. I even called ahead to make an appointment, he's a small dealer.

I would rather run a box store saw than deal with a turd like that. Seems there are a handful of those in this industry. If someone acts like they dont want my business, they sure as heck wont get it.

I'd get the smallest and most nimble saw on your list (the 562). Your MS 460 is not that much larger than a 2166 or a 6401. Might as well save on weight and size and get something a little sleeker. Otherwise don't bother.

Yes, his 460 isn't much heavier than the 6400 in reality, if at all (the weight spec of the 6400 is quite "optimistic") - so the 6400 makes no sense here!

The 562xp is the most impressive 60cc saw I've ever owned, or ran.

Mine's been flawless for 8 months now and I haven't used my 357 or moded 365 since.

My 562 has done nothing but buck firewood for 8 months and has cut well over 500 face cord in that time, with zero troubles, and simply keeps getting more of the work load as everyone uses it.

My 562 has done nothing but buck firewood for 8 months and has cut well over 500 face cord in that time, with zero troubles, and simply keeps getting more of the work load as everyone uses it.

Thanks for answering my question. I was hoping to hear from someone who used their saw primarilly for bucking.

There are a ton of great saws out there. Both current production and many great models of several brands that we can no longer get.

But the 562XP is the best thing in firewood since rubbing 2 sticks together was replaced by striking a match. :biggrin:

I rarely ever use my 562, with my 346 modded i don't really use a 60cc saw and if i need a bigger saw i use a 372xp with a 20" or xpdub with a 24".

I do use my ported 346xp the most, but since getting the 562xp, I have not picked up my 75cc saw and will likely sell it.

Doing firewood i could get by with a 562 but doing tree service i need my 70cc saws i just like the extra power day in day out buried in hardwood logs.

Yes, his 460 isn't much heavier than the 6400 in reality, if at all (the weight spec of the 6400 is quite "optimistic") - so the 6400 makes no sense here!

How is the weight of the 6400 "optimistic" when it weighs no more than the 7900, which weight is well documented. The OP asked for good bucking saws, so the slightly extra nimbleness of the 562 isn't a factor in that specific case. The 6400 is one of the best saws in its class for bucking, try one sometime. Husqvarna is not the only decent chainsaw out there.

I would put my Stumpbroke 562xp next to 70cc saw in a heartbeat i love that thing smooth and powerful it's my favorite saw out of any of ran so far.

How is the weight of the 6400 "optimistic" when it weighs no more than the 7900, which weight is well documented. The OP asked for good bucking saws, so the slightly extra nimbleness of the 562 isn't a factor in that specific case. The 6400 is one of the best saws in its class for bucking, try one sometime. Husqvarna is not the only decent chainsaw out there.

I just got a 6401 and put the 7900 top end on it, it is a real treat with a 20" bar and 8 pin rim, but as much as I love the power and speed after awhile my back reminds me why I bought the 562 in the first place. If you are bucking smaller wood less then 12-16" depending on hardness the 562 will match or beat the larger saws in production, I've seen it first hand.

Latest posts

Back