572xp or MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't realistically buy echo's here in Germany anyway. It's a shame I killed my 7910. It was a beast for It's weight. But also a beast to start.
Talking about those plusses and minuses.

Pretty sure the spencer saw is a pipe saw. Not sure if it had a pipe or muffler on it on the dyno. Just showing what's out there. Neither of the ported 500s I've ran would cut with the hopped up 7910.
Can't fine the actual number, but I remember seeing a pretty hot 500i making about 10 HP which would put it right with a good 7900. No doubt in the right hands a 7900 is strong, it's still my all time favorite 70cc to 80cc saw.

I can't realistically buy echo's here in Germany anyway. It's a shame I killed my 7910. It was a beast for It's weight. But also a beast to start.
Talking about those plusses and minuses.
Sorry to hear of your loss.[emoji20]

I personally never had a saw in proper working order that was hard to start.

Can't fine the actual number, but I remember seeing a pretty hot 500i making about 10 HP which would put it right with a good 7900. No doubt in the right hands a 7900 is strong, it's still my all time favorite 70cc to 80cc saw.

Both of the ported 7900s were on muffler. Woods port saws.

9.6,9.9hp

Best 500i was 9.2 but with more peak tq than both dolmars.

For me the focus on power to weight is interesting, Stihl wins that spec sheet battle. The price point of the 572 has to be a factor. And I have to wonder how all these new saws will fare 5 years out. For the typical $850 you pay for the 572 you also get 6203 bearings and a larger crank than the prior 372 or 576 series. Better heat management and autotune as well. The 572 has been in development since 2011 or even before. It will be a solid saw for a very long time. Cookies is a "right now" snap shot of a saw, a little more data than the spec sheet, and is virtually worthless as an indicator of a saw's longevity and cost effectiveness over time. One of the take a way's for me over this last 15 years of online experience and hype is a fad now my not be one in a few years, remember the Dolmar 5100's? A spec sheet saw from a reputable manufacturer with a focus on power to weigh & RPM's...the push at that time. For a business cost has to matter. And the time in a shop along with longevity does as well. Another take away over the last few years is the lessons learned from my friends in the logging business...after the first year the "specs" don't matter as much as if it starts easy, runs, idles without stalling and has the power to do their job. Dealer support as well. Around here Stihl has the best support, so they win. Down state a few hours Husqvarna does .. and with that price point THEY win. And I have to wonder all the focus on weight , what suffers? It's a physics thing. I'm seeing a rash of 461's lately at the end of their service life with bottom end failures. A price for five screw cases?? Maybe, the bearings? Where was the weight taken out of the really light and powerful saws? My bet, we will find out in the next 5 years. Doubt any of the sub 14 lbs saws will last as long as say a 460 or 660. Even a 281 or 272. Time will tell. I'm not particularly swayed anymore with the numbers game. Got that beat out of me by the folks I support who make a living with saws. For me the 572 is more rugged than the 461. Time will tell if it's the same relative to the 462. But the 460 was more rugged than all the new ones is my guess. While I suspect the 572 will out last the group in play here as well, I won't know for certain for a few years. And the 461 BTW is only $100 more than the 572 around here, and a proven quantity :) For me the ultimate decision has to be based on dealer support, prices and which one you happen to like most. NO wrong decisions here. The right one will be based on that interaction between you the dealer and how the saw performs over time. And NO one here has a "crystal" ball :)

For me the focus on power to weight is interesting, Stihl wins that spec sheet battle. The price point of the 572 has to be a factor. And I have to wonder how all these new saws will fare 5 years out. For the typical $850 you pay for the 572 you also get 6203 bearings and a larger crank than the prior 372 or 576 series. Better heat management and autotune as well. The 572 has been in development since 2011 or even before. It will be a solid saw for a very long time. Cookies is a right now snap shot of a saw, a little more data than the spec sheet. One of the take a way's for me over this last 15 years of online experience and hype is a fad now my not be one in a few years, remember the Dolmar 5100's? A spec sheet saw from a reputable manufacturer with a focus on power to weigh & RPM's...the push at that time. For a business cost has to matter. And the time in a shop along with longevity does as well. Another take away over the last few years is the lessons learned from my friends in the logging business...after the first year the "specs" don't matter as much as if it starts easy, runs, idles without stalling and has the power to do their job. Dealer support as well. Around here Stihl has the best support, so they win. Down state a few hours Husqvarna does .. and with that price point THEY win. And I have to wonder all the focus on weight , what suffers? It's a physics thing. I'm seeing a rash of 461's lately at the end of their service life with bottom end failures. A price for five screw cases?? Maybe, the bearings? Where was the weight taken out of the really light and powerful saws? My bet, we will find out in the next 5 years. Doubt any of the sub 14 lbs saws will last as long as say a 460 or 660. Even a 281 or 272. Time will tell. I'm not particularly swayed anymore with the numbers game. Got that beat out of me by the folks I support who make a living with saws. For me the 572 is more rugged than the 461. Time will tell if it's the same relative to the 462. But the 460 was more rugged than all the new ones is my guess. While I suspect the 572 will out last the group in play here as well, I won't know for certain for a few years. And the 461 BTW is only $100 more than the 572 around here, and a proven quantity :) For me the ultimate decision has to be based on dealer support, prices and which one you happen to like most. NO wrong decisions here. The right one will be based on that interaction between you the dealer and how the saw performs over time. And NO one here has a "crystal" ball :)
Lot of good points Walt! Time will tell. I agree the 572 is robust in design, though I will add the Echo may be beyond the 572 in that regard, and at $750 a pop a crazy good value. Like I said they all have pluses and minuses.

I am seriously impressed with the 7900 versus 500i video. I was planning to bring my c.2004 muffler modded 7900 out to compare to the 500i the next time I cut with a fellow 500i owner, but I guess we have our answer. Hard to believe I've been running what amounts to a 500i since 2005, and that I paid less than $600 for it new with bar and chain!

Lot of good points Walt! Time will tell. I agree the 572 is robust in design, though I will add the Echo may be beyond the 572 in that regard, and at $750 a pop a crazy good value. Like I said they all have pluses and minuses.
So..why is that? Case structure? Bearing size? Kind of curious as I have a good friend who now sells the echo in another part of the country and obviously wish them well :) All the information online is about modding those new Echo's....as if as they were delivered in a form requiring a little help. Most don't in fact 90 percent of the folks buying them will run them stock, so the information about modding them doesn't apply in their world. We have NO dealer support here for echo :( We have excellent support for Stihl. Justifies the extra dollars. We are getting Better support for Husqvarna as one of the local dealers sold a pile of 572's and got interested.

I am seriously impressed with the 7900 versus 500i video. I was planning to bring my c.2004 muffler modded 7900 out to compare to the 500i the next time I cut with a fellow 500i owner, but I guess we have our answer. Hard to believe I've been running what amounts to a 500i since 2005, and that I paid less than $600 for it new with bar and chain!
One of the ultimate sleeper's of all time. Wish we had dealer support. They had filtration issues early on, but solved that. Then Makita mucked around with the company. Sad to hear they plan to be out of the gas saw business in the near future :( Those saws will be collectors some day and sought after as some of the Dolmars are now. About the most under rated saws ever.

Man that new echo is kinda disappointing, power vs weight anyway.

The echo also has the least technology and still passes emissions.
The others are spending a ton of $$ on the extra tech to max out the performance at the lightest weight to meet emissions.

Echo is still the over built under powered . Detuned helps longevity too.

I think it was intended for lawn/landscape guys. And it's just a bonus if fallers/timber guys make the switch...

They prolly with this design to last and hold up for 30 years like the cs680/800 has. Pretty much unchanged since they came out.

One of the few powerheads (680-800) you could cut the tree and pound the wedges with lamo...

Have to say the same logic applies to the echo as well, I don't know that saw but suspect it will cut fast enough to make money and will do that for a long time. Isn't that the definition of win? Price/performance along with longevity needs to be a part of any rational evaluation. We focus on the bling and spec sheet factor, but after a few years all the saws earning a living are all dinged up and losing some of the bling factor...which one is still earning a living? Stihl 461's survived. Suspect the Echo will survive that metric. And another question is how much does a split second really matter. It's everything here and in cookie video's. I'll drop in a video of a dude bucking timber.....and when all the time is added up from felling to bucking and ten processing ... a second per log is in the noise level of statistics. BUT a saw coming apart loosing a day or more of work is tangible. To those observant. chain sharpness is a big factor, weight too, and he HATE's a saw that won't idle or stay running....these metrics are very common in my world :) ( He has a 572 and a couple of HTSS 372's now, but that old 385htss remains a main saw after all these years. Why? Because over and above all the other factors, when he picks it up he knows what it will do. A Stihl 460 and 461 came and went as well in the mix with him and his help )

So..why is that? Case structure? Bearing size? Kind of curious as I have a good friend who now sells the echo in another part of the country and obviously wish them well :) All the information online is about modding those new Echo's....as if as they were delivered in a form requiring a little help. Most don't in fact 90 percent of the folks buying them will run them stock, so the information about modding them doesn't apply in their world. We have NO dealer support here for echo :( We have excellent support for Stihl. Justifies the extra dollars. We are getting Better support for Husqvarna as one of the local dealers sold a pile of 572's and got interested.

Case, bearings "steel cage" weight/thickness and quality of the housings. Also simplicity, no AT, Mtronic or fuel injection. Plus great AV, which in design is similar to what Husky is doing with the limiter posts. Fit in finnish equal to, or in my opinion maybe better than both Stihl and Husqvarna. Just a very well built machine top to bottom. Here is a tear down video Mitch put up if anyone is interested.

Out of the box the 7310 does not have the power of the other pro saws in it's class, and it's heavy, especially for the stock power.

Echo power equipment is well supported locally and I can walk to a couple Stihl dealers, unfortunately there is little support for Husqvarna in the area, though I did find a dealer that stocks everything about an hour away if really needed, not that local support really matters to me personally. For a guy depending on his tool to make ends meet, local support is paramount.

I try my best to call it as I see it, I like all brands, and I know Walt and most others here know that, and when I post up the numbers I do so because it's what I enjoy doing, and if there's some valuable info in that great. I'm not a pro logger, quit selling firewood a few years back, so it's more a hobby now and to feed the stove, with the upcoming cold weather I'll be feeding her a lot the next week or so.[emoji32][emoji111]

Back