572xp or MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am seriously impressed with the 7900 versus 500i video. I was planning to bring my c.2004 muffler modded 7900 out to compare to the 500i the next time I cut with a fellow 500i owner, but I guess we have our answer. Hard to believe I've been running what amounts to a 500i since 2005, and that I paid less than $600 for it new with bar and chain!
I think with a little more time on the 500i, it will pull just ahead "maybe" honestly they're equal in my book. The weight in the hands also feel the same to me, I don't care what a scale may say.

Case, bearings "steel cage" weight/thickness and quality of the housings. Also simplicity, no AT, Mtronic or fuel injection. Plus great AV, which in design is similar to whay Husky is doing with the limiter posts. Fit in finnish equal to or in my opinion maybe better than both Stihl and Husqvarna. Just a very well built machine top to bottom. Here is a tear down video Mitch put up if anyone is interested.

Out of the box the 7310 not have the power of the other pro saws in it's class, and it's heavy, especially for the stock power.

Echo power equipment is well supported locally and I can walk to a couple Stihl dealers, unfortunately there is little support for Husqvarna in the area, though I did find a dealer that stocks everything about an hour away if really needed, not that he local support really matter to me personally. For a guy depending on his tool to make ends meet, local support is paramount.

I try my best to call it as I see it, I like all brands, and I know Walt and most others here know that, and when I post up the numbers I do so because it's what I enjoy doing, and if there's some valuable info in that great. I'm not a pro logger, quit selling firewood a few years back, so it's more a hobby now and to feed the stove, with the upcoming cold weather I'll be feeding her a lot the next week or so.[emoji32][emoji111]

Good stuff! And we all know the older Stihl 460's and Original Edition 372's stood up to the pressures of time. The new saws are yet to be proven. So what size bearings do the Echo's have? The older 372's had 6202's, the 572's a larger 6203. BUT like Stihl, nylon caged. :( The echo may have stole the show for me.. :) Just don't know yet. But yet again I wish some one would focus on the as delivered characteristics of a Echo as most want to know how they are as delivered, modding is something that is of interest on places like this for certain but most won't buy a saw because it needs or can be modded to match their old proven saw. :)

Did this video when the 572's first were introduced. Means something to the Husqvarna folks and even the Stihl folks who went through the "teething" issues of the early generation autotunes. And now two years later we have begun to get "feed back" from the field. I'm not going to get into a comparison although I have worked on both major brands :) One thing I can say is to this point in time I have YET to have to work on a 572 other than filter and cosmetics. Nothing. And the feed back so far is I'm not alone. A very sorted out release. So I have that personal experience and data to work from. And from what I can see Stihl has really stepped up to handle any issues on their new saws. So either one is a "win" for me. Be nice to have this same conversation after a few years and the other saws like the new Echo have some time on them in the field. From what Andy has posted, thinking the Echo will still be in there if they can get the dealer network.

Good stuff! And we all know the older Stihl 460's and Original Edition 372's stood up to the pressures of time. The new saws are yet to be proven. So what size bearings do the Echo's have? The older 372's had 6202's, the 572's a larger 6203. BUT like Stihl, nylon caged. :( The echo may have stole the show for me.. :) Just don't know yet. But yet again I wish some one would focus on the as delivered characteristics of a Echo as most want to know how they are as delivered. :)

Have not been inside my 7310 yet, just had the muffler and carb off to have a peek, from what I can see the internals are like the other Echo's I've had opened up, flawless castings, plating, large crank and rod. In the video above and what I've read elsewhere, 6203 on the pro and 6202 on the flywheel, but I can not personally attest to that.

I'm not totally taken by the saw myself, as I said it's heavy, the clutch looks a bit small, maybe that means something maybe not. The stock carb is holding back the power for sure. But overall it's really an amazing saw, especially for the money. I give a lot of credit to Echo for doing what they did with the saw, and in it's indented market it will be very well liked.

Did this video when the 572's first were introduced. Means something to the Husqvarna folks and even the Stihl folks who went through the "teething" issues of the early generation autotunes. And now two years later we have begun to get "feed back" from the field. I'm not going to get into a comparison although I have worked on both major brands :) One thing I can say is to this point in time I have YET to have to work on a 572 other than filter and cosmetics. Nothing. And the feed back so far is I'm not alone. A very sorted out release. So I have that personal experience and data to work from. And from what I can see Stihl has really stepped up to handle any issues on their new saws. So either one is a "win" for me. Be nice to have this same conversation after a few years and the other saws like the new Echo have some time on them in the field. From what Andy has posted, thinking the Echo will still be in there if they can get the dealer network.

The 572 was the first AT type saw I ran that behaves as it should, starts normal when hot, and no surging in the cut like the early Mtronic saws. The 500i is more like a factory ported saw in it's running characteristics, very quick acceleration, zero hiccup so far, as you said time will tell with durability.

The 572 was the first AT type saw I ran that behaves as it should, starts normal when hot, and no surging in the cut like the early Mtronic saws. The 500i is more like a factory ported saw in it's running characteristics, very quick acceleration, zero hiccup so far, as you said time will tell with durability.
See you and I both went through the "teething" issues of early Autotunes....and the 572 doesn't "erase" that memory. Although the 572 along with the new 550mk 2 go a long way as they both are pretty solid saws with unusually clean releases. AND for me the many cookie cut video's out there are like the "burn outs" before the drag race, and in a few years the discussions about the experiences are more relevant :) I guess the question we both need to consider is would we in good faith be able to actually recommend anyone get into that situation where they are a part of a real time "R&D" effort as a saw released goes through the teething issues, regardless of brand. With the major brands and their support , that is easier...especially with a good dealer network. I happen to believe the Echo will do well as delivered. May not win a cookie race or spec sheet battle, but as a company they have proven over time they know how to build a reliable saw so we bank on that right? Husqvarna for their part learned and gave dealers upgrade paths on the 562's but had to completely redesign the 550. :( Stihl and the community is more "tight lipped" about their trials and tribulations but I can say they really support their base..so for me any of them are a good choice if there is dealer support near by.

See you and I both went through the "teething" issues of early Autotunes....and the 572 doesn't "erase" that memory. Although the 572 along with the new 550mk 2 go a long way as they both are pretty solid now. AND for me the many cookie cut video's out there are like the "burn outs" before the drag race, and in a few years the discussions about the experiences are more relevant :) I guess the question we both need to consider is would we in good faith be able to actually recommend anyone get into that situation where they are a part of a real time "R&D" effort as a saw released goes through the teething issues, regardless of brand. With the major brands and their support , that is easier...especially with a good dealer network. I happen to believe the Echo will do well as delivered. May not win a cookie race or spec sheet battle, but as a company they have proven over time they know how to build a reliable saw so we bank on that right? Husqvarna for their part learned and gave dealers upgrade paths on the 562's but had to completely redesign the 550. :( Stihl and the community is more "tight lipped" about their trials and tribulations but I can say they really support their base..so for me any of them are a good choice if there is dealer support near by.

Who doesn't like burn outs?[emoji1]

No I agree, when being part of on the fly R&D goes south, you're naturally programmed to to look for the same issues, or even think they exist when they don't, when you do that you overlook a lot. Now 5his can happen in reverse too, in your mind no problem here, nothing to see, when you bet there is.

The Echo should work as the most of the technology is well past the point proven, which as we know is a double edged sword.

That was on the first 572 he had, which turned out to be a ringer, it was messed with. So he got a fresh out of the box 572xp that was actually stock. The 462 and 500i both had more power than the 572xp. It went 500i, 462, 572xp and Echo CS-7310p, which were the exact same results I have from making timed cuts.
That original 572 that made 7.2 hp was factory stock with 2 tanks through it. It definitely wasn’t messed with. It was in my shop a couple weeks later for port work. Not sure where you heard that info but it’s not correct. It may have been a freak or it may have been an incorrect reading from the dyno, but it was indeed box stock

That original 572 that made 7.2 hp was factory stock with 2 tanks through it. It definitely wasn’t messed with. It was in my shop a couple weeks later for port work. Not sure where you heard that info but it’s not correct. It may have been a freak or it may have been an incorrect reading from the dyno, but it was indeed box stock
Got it, thought I remember it being something other than stock, I stand corrected.

But something measurable must have been different. Higher rpm, higher compression, different timings, something. Or a gremlin in the dyno ofcourse.

I’m seeing this more and more I believe. If you took 10 saws of the same model, 2 would run good, 2 would run not so good, and 6 would be right in the middle
I've seen enough of it myself to know it as fact, I have a 346xp that just screams, but I've ran some that were weak. Some models seem more consistent than others.

I’m seeing this more and more I believe. If you took 10 saws of the same model, 2 would run good, 2 would run not so good, and 6 would be right in the middle
And this points to another phenom, one video one post on a dyno, one thread paints a picture for the entire series of a particular saw in the "online" world. While good information way too much "weight" is put on that stuff. Glad you made that point as any sample of "one" might fall anywhere on the curve. I for one would love to see more "life with a saw" follow up presentations so the experience is shared vs. just one moment in time of a sample of one.

Yes, I forgot to mention That.

The first 572 was ran on the old system. But a fresh stock saw.

The latest test was all on the new system one after another, same fuel,same day etc.

The autotune/m tron saws can be tricky to test.. They are always trying to get max performance.

Yes, I forgot to mention That.

The first 572 was ran on the old system. But a fresh stock saw.

The latest test was all on the new system one after another, same fuel,same day etc.

The autotune/m tron saws can be tricky to test.. They are always trying to get max performance.
Could be that one dyno is off a half hp off from the next, I’d imagine. Shouldn’t matter as long as things stay consistent.

Didn’t mean that in a bad way. Just saying they’re just simple machines with pulleys, shafts, bearings and sensors. Things vary and wear out. If a saw makes 8hp in 2021 and the same saw makes 8hp in 2025 I’d think that everything tested in between should be accurate at least on the same dyno

Could be that one dyno is off a half hp off from the next, I’d imagine. Shouldn’t matter as long as things stay consistent.

Didn’t mean that in a bad way. Just saying they’re just simple machines with pulleys, shafts, bearings and sensors. Things vary and wear out. If a saw makes 8hp in 2021 and the same saw makes 8hp in 2025 I’d think that everything tested in between should be accurate at least on the same dyno

For sure lots of variables...

No where near as many on the new system as the old yet either.

But the new system allows me to put 3 curves on the same graph so you can see the slight variance.

Back