576/372xt swap...Long term use thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside, father in law called and said he's sending me his 288- always wanted one. He's a retired faller that took excellent care of his equipment. Looking forward to knocking some wood down with it - Sam

That's gonna require pictures! Call Nate or Cody, lol.

That's gonna require pictures! Call Nate or Cody, lol.

I know, Cody's had nothing but good to say about the 288's he ran in his glory days. They sure as #### don't make 'em like they used to. I will hate Stihl to the day I die that you can't buy a new/warrantied 440 anymore!!!! When ya bought one of them you didn't think twice about it....You just went to work and made money with it....the good old days - Sam

An update

As I said in another thread, had some idling/dieing issues with this saw, hasn't cleared up yet. New carb is on it's way.

Aside from that, the saw runs very well.

Biggest difference between the 372xt, and the 576? Fuel economy. The 576 was a pig, and the 372xt is fantastic.

That alone makes it a keeper for me. Stumbling around on the side of a mountain humping jugs and the pack eats up a lot of the day when yer running a fuel gulper.

Happy Holidays - Sam

I think they are referring to "X-Torq" when they say "xt" as to mean the newer 2010 EPA version of the ol' 372xp.

Yup, sorry for the confusion. This is the strato version of the 372xp. blsnelling, spike60 and mweba all have good threads (with a lot of great pics) detailing the new technology involved - Sam

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm guessing that means all of the EPA crap includes a cat muffler?

I'll check out Brad's thread to check on the "modability"

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm guessing that means all of the EPA crap includes a cat muffler?

I'll check out Brad's thread to check on the "modability"

Muff is hollow:cheers:, and yup, appears there is a lot to be gained with these saws. Pretty minimal EPA crap with this saw, Husky seems to have found the answer to making a strato saw without the weight gain (and like I said, damn good fuel economy also). - Sam

good luck with your 372 xt I got one for christmas with a 24 inch and 8 pin cuts great in pine and fir

Last edited:
Bet you are glad you did not do a muffler mod or anything else that would have voided your warranty on the 576xp. Also lucky the problem was discovered within the lower 6 mth warranty period.

Latest posts

Back