576 AT Muffler Removal??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADMAD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how to remove the muffler from a 576 AT - want to modify it and put a 288 deflector on the side.

I have removed the bottom two 5mm hex screws but cant remove the muffler.
Any help images would be a great.

Cheers.

4 bolts hold the 576 mufler, 2 screw into the case and 2 screw into the cylinder.
the 576 like its mufler being opened up

If the muffler is the same typr as on the 372, which I think it is, then you have to take the two bolts out of the cylinder too. Theyre in the two holes in the front of the muffler. I think theyre a bigger size torx wrench too. Can't remember the size though.

Turned the powerhead into some decent light and can see the two hex bolts - off to the hardware store ( dont have long enough 6mm hex bit ).

Thanks for that.

Cant wait to open this saw up abit.

Cheers.

I'd open it up big as you can go and still have it covered by the deflector. About 1" square maybe. It should really open it up.

Will cut it open as big as the 288 deflector will allow - plan on waking the nieghbours up real early.

5mm should do it, no 6mm on that saw that I know of.

5mm should do it, no 6mm on that saw that I know of.

Roger that - it's a 5mm. And FYI, don't mix up the screws that anchor into the case with the ones that anchor into the cylinder. The cylinder bolts - on my saw at least - had a fractionally narrower head to let them fit down the tube. The cylinder bolts will fit in the case holes, but not vice versa.

Back