576xp auto tune vs 390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here there are no dedicated Makita dealers - their goods are really just sold through hardware stores ......

It is about the same here, but I think you can get any current model that you want. Promotion and service is pretty much absent - the web site just shows the contact info for Makita Norway, not even a listing of models.

I do agree with you ArthurB on how useless Makita is here in! However I have a dolmar 6400 which has been converted to a 7900. I feel confident I can buy any parts cheaper and most likely faster from some of the forum sponsors from the states. I actually like the feeling of not getting screwed by our local stihl or husky distributors. so I would say dolmar is actually a viable alternative if you want to go down that path. I bought the 7900 kit and heavy duty air filter kit from the states and had it in under a week. Ive been waiting 4 weeks for a 28 inch bar now from my local stihl dealer.
BTW where abouts in NSW are you.

Haven't used any of the 5 series Husqvarnas so can only comment on the 372 and 390 I use on on a regular basis.

Both saws have been exceptional however the 390 shines when bucking 20" plus hardwood. The extra weight of the 390 doesn't matter when bucking and the torque is far superior to the 372. The 372 felt like it was working hard in these conditions whereas the 390 felt like it was in its element.

[QUOT="Jeffkrib, post: 5904428, member: 116049"]I do agree with you ArthurB on how useless Makita is here in! However I have a dolmar 6400 which has been converted to a 7900. I feel confident I can buy any parts cheaper and most likely faster from some of the forum sponsors from the states. I actually like the feeling of not getting screwed by our local stihl or husky distributors. so I would say dolmar is actually a viable alternative if you want to go down that path. I bought the 7900 kit and heavy duty air filter kit from the states and had it in under a week. Ive been waiting 4 weeks for a 28 inch bar now from my local stihl dealer.
BTW where abouts in NSW are you.[/QUOTE]
Do you mind if I ask how much the 7900 kit and heavy duty air filter cost to purchase and get from the states to OZ and who I should get them from? I have a 6401 here that I'm thinking about upgrading. Thanks!

Haven't used any of the 5 series Husqvarnas so can only comment on the 372 and 390 I use on on a regular basis.

Both saws have been exceptional however the 390 shines when bucking 20" plus hardwood. The extra weight of the 390 doesn't matter when bucking and the torque is far superior to the 372. The 372 felt like it was working hard in these conditions whereas the 390 felt like it was in its element.

if a guys just bucking may as well get a 395 and have it last the rest of your life lol

I do agree with you ArthurB on how useless Makita is here in! However I have a dolmar 6400 which has been converted to a 7900. I feel confident I can buy any parts cheaper and most likely faster from some of the forum sponsors from the states. I actually like the feeling of not getting screwed by our local stihl or husky distributors. so I would say dolmar is actually a viable alternative if you want to go down that path. I bought the 7900 kit and heavy duty air filter kit from the states and had it in under a week. Ive been waiting 4 weeks for a 28 inch bar now from my local stihl dealer.
BTW where abouts in NSW are you.

I'll look into the Dolmar thing a bit more - if Husky wasn't viable, I'd be very keen on this - but I've been very happy with the 372, and have no hesitation about staying with Huskies

This place is near Yass in southern NSW

if a guys just bucking may as well get a 395 and have it last the rest of your life lol

Only need the one saw - and try to harvest firewood from the whole tree, so weight is a consideration - the matter of sectioning trunks is underlined as that's where 80% of the tine goes - and while a bigger saw can be used to cut up branches on a saw horse, you really can't section hardwood trunks with a smaller saw - well, technically perhaps you can but you'll be there forever and kill the saw - so capability on trunks is foremost, but not so big that it's unmanageable elsewhere

I'm actually a bit swayed by the support a lot of people have for the 372 - I'm just an end-user, but appreciate that it's a very well-designed / well-made / well-balanced saw - I have been keen to capitalise on a tax concession and get a new saw, but perhaps I should also just think about keeping the 372 alive

Maybe you should just rebuild the 372? New piston and ring, base gasket delete and muffler mod if not already done. Transfer matching and grinding if you are feeling up to it. A modded 372 is a powerful machine!

Hornet boy: I ordered my parts from AS member FordF150, here's his link.
http://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/collections/dolmar
From memory the OEM 79cc kit was $215USD and the HD air filter was $90. Easy and simple to deal with.

ArthurB: Yes you need a good fire in Yass cold and windy. I would say get a Husky if your happy with service and support in your town.

Hornet boy: I ordered my parts from AS member FordF150, here's his link.
http://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/collections/dolmar
From memory the OEM 79cc kit was $215USD and the HD air filter was $90. Easy and simple to deal with.

ArthurB: Yes you need a good fire in Yass cold and windy. I would say get a Husky if your happy with service and support in your town.
Thanks Jeffkrib. That makes it easy. Keep your snow down there, will ya? I can feel the arctic breeze here coming straight from Yass!

Thanks Jeffkrib. That makes it easy. Keep your snow down there, will ya? I can feel the arctic breeze here coming straight from Yass!
Right on top of the ranges, west of Lithgow, so north of you, catching your southerly breezes. Ha ha

Right on top of the ranges, west of Lithgow, so north of you, catching your southerly breezes. Ha ha

By our pathetic Australian standards for cold high country, Lithgow's up there ...

And you'll appreciate that the $300 cash back from Husky on a 390XP, plus the govt's generous small business incentive scheme (whole lot deductible), makes getting hold of a new saw by COB tomorrow an attractive prospect ...

By our pathetic Australian standards for cold high country, Lithgow's up there ...

And you'll appreciate that the $300 cash back from Husky on a 390XP, plus the govt's generous small business incentive scheme (whole lot deductible), makes getting hold of a new saw by COB tomorrow an attractive prospect ...
I'd like one of those! I bought a 550xp and am besotted with it. I was shocked at how good a 50cc saw could be.

Getting a 550xp and how well it ran once freed up is what drove me to upgrade the 6400 to a 7900. As it feed up it was closing the gap, the gap is now big again. Id love to have a 390xp though.
Do you mind if I ask you what grade fuel you run in your 550? I'm running 95 at 33:1. Also, did you notice a big difference when you went from the 6401 to the 7901? Is it worth doing? I'm cutting up mostly dead logs for firewood, anywhere from 12" to 24" diameter, with the occasional one bigger than that.

Do you mind if I ask you what grade fuel you run in your 550? I'm running 95 at 33:1. Also, did you notice a big difference when you went from the 6401 to the 7901? Is it worth doing? I'm cutting up mostly dead logs for firewood, anywhere from 12" to 24" diameter, with the occasional one bigger than that.
The difference is quite large, I mean you're going from 64cc to 79cc that's a big jump.

Latest posts

Back