576xp auto tune vs 390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been told in Aus 92 and 98 octane fuel has 10% ethanol content, 95 octane never contains ethanol. As a result I always run 95 octane with stihl ultra oil at 40:1.
As you would know the 6400 is very respectable it does the job. In 7900 form it flat out rips and you can be more heavy handed with the saw. I have only run both with a 20 inch bar, I would imagine it would make a big difference with a bigger bar. I would say if this is going to be your biggest saw then go to 79cc. If you plan on getting a bigger saw in the future then leave it as is and save the funds for the bigger saw.

I've been told in Aus 92 and 98 octane fuel has 10% ethanol content, 95 octane never contains ethanol. As a result I always run 95 octane with stihl ultra oil at 40:1.
As you would know the 6400 is very respectable it does the job. In 7900 form it flat out rips and you can be more heavy handed with the saw. I have only run both with a 20 inch bar, I would imagine it would make a big difference with a bigger bar. I would say if this is going to be your biggest saw then go to 79cc. If you plan on getting a bigger saw in the future then leave it as is and save the funds for the bigger saw.
Thanks Jeff. It is my biggest saw. Below it is husky 359 and the 550xp. Was freight a big deal from the States?

Think it was $50 odd. I did all my communications through PM here on AS.
Have a search through his website, all sorts of parts, while your shipping get yourself a stihl bar adaptor (cheap and may come in handy one day). He even has original 7910 stickers which would help if you ever plan to sell the saw one day.
My saw still has the 6400 sticker, I'm going to get a load of wood with a mate in a couple of weeks, he has one of those ebay AG Baumer 62cc saws. Ill let him have a go of my saw and sware blind it only has 2cc more than his :dancing:.

Thanks Jeff. I've never felt under-gunned with the 6401 but I'm interested in what this saw could become. I've just had a look through his site. Fantastic range of accessories. Thanks for the help, mate!

There can be, in several different ways - but not in this case.
Very true, a properly ported and properly tuned smaller saw could have a 390's nose bag before it knew what happened. I personally prefer larger saws in 390 and 660 class so that remark was mostly in context for guys like me who like to pack loads of bricks all day HAHA. But that's absolutely right sawtroll, saws with many less cc's can take a big cc saw in a foot race with the right wood and more chain speed rather than torque

Well, the upshot of the decision process re' Husky 576 vs 390 for the next saw ...

Took the 372 into the Husky shop to compare weight / ergos with the two candidates - I'm not casting aspersions on the reported specs, but to me the 576 felt lighter than the 372 and better balanced - the 372 was slightly lighter than the 390, but very similar feel

I'd be happy using the 576 all day for smaller stuff, but probably less so the 390 - I think the 390 might be better suited to the two-saw scenario - that said, it's easy to appreciate that the 390 would shine on the bigger stuff - no question

But the interesting thing was that the Husky salesman looked at the 372, and asked me why I was selling it - gave prices for top-end rebuild should that be needed down the track, and confirmed what others here have said to effect that the 372 is probably the most versatile saw Husky have produced

Hard to argue with a salesman who wants you to keep your old gear, and leave his new stuff on the shelf

The financial year ended today, and with it the benefit I was looking to gain from purchasing a new saw - so that's that

Appreciate everyone's thoughts - and it's great to know there's a community out there to consult

:cheers:

Well, the upshot of the decision process re' Husky 576 vs 390 for the next saw ...

Took the 372 into the Husky shop to compare weight / ergos with the two candidates - I'm not casting aspersions on the reported specs, but to me the 576 felt lighter than the 372 and better balanced - the 372 was slightly lighter than the 390, but very similar feel

I'd be happy using the 576 all day for smaller stuff, but probably less so the 390 - I think the 390 might be better suited to the two-saw scenario - that said, it's easy to appreciate that the 390 would shine on the bigger stuff - no question

But the interesting thing was that the Husky salesman looked at the 372, and asked me why I was selling it - gave prices for top-end rebuild should that be needed down the track, and confirmed what others here have said to effect that the 372 is probably the most versatile saw Husky have produced

Hard to argue with a salesman who wants you to keep your old gear, and leave his new stuff on the shelf

The financial year ended today, and with it the benefit I was looking to gain from purchasing a new saw - so that's that

Appreciate everyone's thoughts - and it's great to know there's a community out there to consult

:cheers:

Then I'd get a 576 and run a different length bar than your 372, then rebuild the 372 when the time comes. I get that Aussie wood is hard, but either saw should be able to pull 24" all day long in any wood.

Back