6.5 hp harbor freight engine first inpression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
well i had a coupon for the http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66015 i got it for 109.99. i also added the warrenty for 20 bucks. 2 years if it give me any problems they give me a brand new one right there in the store no questions asked. i figured for 20 bucks you cant beat that.

now i looked into these motors a bit before i got one. it seems their almost exact clones of the honda gx engines. thier very popular in mini bike and go cart racers. these people love these motors, hell alot of them have removed the governor and rev em to 5k :jawdrop: i have yet to hear anythign bad about them. so i figured id give it a shot.

i got it to go on my old bolens tractor. stupid me didnt realize the shaft size is different. so not i need a new pulley to make that work.

so after i saw that i got to thinking ill try it on the splitter just for the hell of it. the splitter ha s a 5hp gc 160 honda on it. its a fine motor for what it is but it does struggle and occasionally stall if your not paying attention to it.

im gonna make another thread when im finished mounting it up but i gotta do a bit o fabbing to get it to be how id like it to be its not too bad but more work that i thought it would be.

anyway finally about the motor. im really impressed at what you get for 110 bucks! its got a kill switch, gas shut off, low oil shutoff aswell. it uses a foam air filter. i believe theres a paper filter under the foam aswell. theres also a removeable gas filter in the mouth of the METAL :jawdrop: gas tank. it fired up on the 2nd pull and its whisper quiet. i just let it freewheel for about 15 mins. shut her down. i wanted to see how it restarted hot and it went first pull. so as long as she holds up id say these motors are a killer deal.

if i ever build the monster splitter i wanna build im definatly gonna get the 11 or 13hp version.

sorry for the long ass post lol

My genset is a champion with this same honda clone 6.5 engine. I used it last night during our power outage for about 2 hours to cool the freezer and refer, run the range, etc.

The engines start very easily on even old gas. Runs like a champ after setting for months.

My genset is a champion with this same honda clone 6.5 engine. I used it last night during our power outage for about 2 hours to cool the freezer and refer, run the range, etc.

The engines start very easily on even old gas. Runs like a champ after setting for months.
+1 on the champion genset always starts and runs good for 3 years now!

:agree2:

I have the 11hp on my splitter, it runs allday just like its spoused to and only uses about 6ltrs of fuel for 8hrs splitting.
Only prob i ever had was the starter rope wearing out(BIGDEAL).

Rob.

I also have a champion 3500 it has run several hundred hours with no problems so far. looks and seems too run as well as my 6.5 honda gen but its 16 years old. just wish it had the idle feature with no load the honda has. with power outage over a few hours the honda gets well duty and the champion runs everthing else. may be someday we will get city water after all it is the 20th century or is it the 21?

Latest posts

Back