She always supprises me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My wife gave me the hardest time when I wanted to burn wood, Now she loves it. Many mornings she gets up before me, lately she has been great with getting the stove going for the day. Last year I split 9 cord half by hand but once I got into the big rounds I couldn't do it. 30" Hickory is too tough to deal with. I loaded 18" rounds on the trailer, not easy but I managed. However when it came time to split I had a heck of a time. I was lucky enough to whine to a friend of mine and I was able to borrow his splitter to finish off my wood, a mix of big shagbark, big cherry, and some knotty cedar. The splitter worked great and I split it in a few days splitting and hour or 2 at a time by myself.

I have been on the lookout for a splitter but I never could seem to find one at a reasonable price, CT sucks (but that's a topic all by itself), every used splitter I found was grossly overpriced. 22ton huskys for $1200, I can buy one for new $900. Old homemade piles of rust that "used to split anything" but have been left in the backyard since the 80s "only needs a tune" up for $600. for the life of me I don't understand how some people put price on their stuff, is there gold under the rust.

Anyway today I responded to an ad on craigslit. Wood splitter will split flat or upright $350. I think its got to be beat to hell and probably doesn't work. I hitch up the trailer and meet the seller. It turns out to be a nearly new in beautiful condition yard machine 27 ton with a Honda. The whole way home as Im smiling ear to ear I keep thinking how am I going to explain this to the wife with out her getting mad. I tell her I bought mu valentines day gift, anniversary gift and Birthday gift today. She asks how much and what bought. She said that it was a good idea and it would make my wood splitting easier.
Only issue I have with the splitter is it leaks gas, maybe a bag fuel line, frozen float, or some other carb issue. I will tackle that in the daylight but I looked up prices for a carb kit.....$22 new oem carb $14. for $14 I may just order a few spares.

Anyone put a 4 way on one of these MTD splitter?

Congrats on the splitter. It sure makes life easier.

She should have been mad at you if you didn't buy that splitter.

I agree with that. My wife is "trained". If I passed up a good deal that made sense she knows to punch me in the face. Just kidding... Um yeah.:poke:

Way to go on the splitter. I lost out on one for $200 just the other day so I'm very happy for you. Enjoy it!

REP Sent

My wife always tells me that I'm cheap and make things hard for myself. She always says if you have the right tools you could do most anything. The splitter, (any splitter) is better than nothing. It's all about.. what is your time worth..

I still split some of the oak by hand just for the workout and a way to excape from all the stress in life but then I'll look over at the splitter and think to myself...

I could be fishing..:(

Congrats!!

My wife always tells me that I'm cheap and make things hard for myself. She always says if you have the right tools you could do most anything. The splitter, (any splitter) is better than nothing. It's all about.. what is your time worth..

I still split some of the oak by hand just for the workout and a way to excape from all the stress in life but then I'll look over at the splitter and think to myself...

I could be fishing..:(

Congrats!!

I agree to an extent. I'm pretty fast with a splitting maul and with the 13-19 sec cycle times of most of these splitters out right now I'm faster with the maul. With that said. My elbow has been bothering me so not able to split with the maul much so not much is getting done. Of course if you're talking 30" + rounds of oak then the splitter wins. Unless you noodle the round into 1/4's and then maul it to death. Okay, okay, another thread, another time:msp_biggrin::deadhorse:

Okay I admit it, I'm jealous:hmm3grin2orange:

The splitter, (any splitter) is better than nothing. It's all about.. what is your time worth..

Right on the money. I say whenever you invest money into upgrading your tools and equipment, what you are actually buying is the hours of your life back. More time to spend with your family, fishing, drinking beer, or whatever.

Congrats:rock:

About that fuel leak...could it be coming out of the gas cap?

Mine use to till I replaced the cap.

No it was almost empty.
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. It was running out of the carb area pretty good. I hoping to get out side tomorrow during the day and look at it.

PS I still want to know about a 4 way?

you did very well.

for $14 i would buy at least 2 spare.

i have no idea on the 4 four way - sorry

About the 4 way....... sure it can be done, but I wouldn't really recommend it because of the cylinder's trunion mounts. There are a couple members here who have them, but you would only want to use one on straight grained wood with no knots. If you wade into those waters, be very careful.

Cleaned the carb today. It wasn't bad all that bad. A little gunk in the bowl, it looks like it was full of water at some point. All the passages and jet were clean and wide open. Put it back together and it fired up and ran fine or at least what I assume is fine. It would die if I shut the choke off. It was fairly cold outside today so I figured it was like a snowblower some times it runs better with some ammount of choke depending on the air temp.

I tried to take a pic for those of you that asked but the camera broke, the automatic lens cover wont open.

Cleaned the carb today. It wasn't bad all that bad. A little gunk in the bowl, it looks like it was full of water at some point. All the passages and jet were clean and wide open. Put it back together and it fired up and ran fine or at least what I assume is fine. It would die if I shut the choke off. It was fairly cold outside today so I figured it was like a snowblower some times it runs better with some ammount of choke depending on the air temp.

I tried to take a pic for those of you that asked but the camera broke, the automatic lens cover wont open.

Frozen shut? Pun only semi intended. Still leaking gas?

Latest posts

Back