6 cubes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1050s are nice, but I'll throw out a vote for a 650. 1050s and brethren seem to be built a little more solid, but I dearly love 650 and Super 650 saws. :love1:

Dan

I have to agree, The 650 Homelite is a great saw
with plenty of power. A fun saw to run.

The Husky 2100 was a great saw in there day as well.
Ask any racer.

Lee

The 790/SP/PM105 series with over 13 years of production (1964-1977) probably cut as much timber as most other 6 cube makes put together. There was also a bunch with the 99cc motors 1-76/740. Plenty of McCulloch two man saws used the same 6 cube motors.
Everyone needs atleast one 6 cube chainsaw.

Last edited:
I dont know anything about 100cc but, what about the stihl contra lightning?

Stihl Contra-Lightning or Contra (I.D. Tag 1106) are pretty much the same beast.
But the Stihl Contra S (I.D. tag 1109S) is the beast!!!
I don't think they were made to whip around a long bar like the American big saws as the handle really doesn't allow for it. They are quite nice to run with a 30" or less bar. You would need a full wrap handle to support the weight that is put on the 2 points of attachments from the half-wrap. Now the Stihl Contra S AV has a good set up to use the long bar.
As for running and durability I agree with the Contra in the mix. I am not a fan of the air cleaner set up on the Contra (1106) or the Contra S (1109S) as the seem to clog easier then the 090-070's set-up.

Stihl Contra-Lightning or Contra (I.D. Tag 1106) are pretty much the same beast.
But the Stihl Contra S (I.D. tag 1109S) is the beast!!!
I don't think they were made to whip around a long bar like the American big saws as the handle really doesn't allow for it. They are quite nice to run with a 30" or less bar. You would need a full wrap handle to support the weight that is put on the 2 points of attachments from the half-wrap. Now the Stihl Contra S AV has a good set up to use the long bar.
As for running and durability I agree with the Contra in the mix. I am not a fan of the air cleaner set up on the Contra (1106) or the Contra S (1109S) as the seem to clog easier then the 090-070's set-up.

Wow. Thanks for the info. So, I guess it is a pretty good 100cc or above saw. Cool.:yourock:

I've only run one the 2100cd and I'd have to say that it is unreal. The most suprising stock saw that I've ever run. You can lean on it all day and it just keeps pulling.

The 790/SP/PM105 series with over 13 years of production (1964-1977) probably cut as much timber as most other 6 cube makes put together. There was also a bunch with the 99cc motors 1-76/740. Plenty of McCulloch two man saws used the same 6 cube motors.
Everyone needs atleast one 6 cube chainsaw.

How about the McCulloch 550 and Super 550 saws (99 and 103cc IIRC)? How did they compare with the the McCulloch 790/795 saws (or with the Homelite XP1000/1020/1050 and Homelite 650 saws for that matter)?

I know I was real impressed with my friend's Homelite Super 650. Had more rpms but a smidge less bottom end than the XP1000-1050 saws. He has a Super 650 that was 'enhanced' a bit for racing years ago. Unfortunately, it got crunched, and has been sitting sadly on the shelf for years. I believe it's salvageable. Need to light a fire under him to get it back in shape.....:givebeer:

The old homelite 5.8ci/95cc DD saws are pretty healthy too. 700D, etc. The Homelite gear drives of that engine size aren't fast, but are quite strong and will pull a big bar wrapped with big chain. Super Wiz 77, 770G, etc. Then there's the 1100G and 1130G saws if we're talking six cube gear drives.:cheers:

My Homelite 1020 smoked my 1050. Stocks saws my 1020 is the strongest but my ported Poulan 6000 is one mean saw. We will have to put them up against the Super 650 when it arrives in the mail....Oopse did I just say that :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a 1130G but have not run it yet. Homelite 2100's are pretty stout. My echo CS-900 @ 92cc is very strong

Last edited:
I've got quite a few in that class.1050super,1130G,P65,056magII and so on...

I use my 064BB more then any saw I own.

But does it count since it isn't stock displacement?

Say what you like about the BB's, but it gives me 100cc's plus, so can't be all bad.

My 08 395XP BB ported runs just fine in our hardwood.

DSCF2338-1.jpg

I have owned a 1050 and a 2100 husky, both are great saws but in my opinion the pioneer/partner/ poulan pro 6 cubes are number one in class.
Good grunt, great topend, light weight and the simplest design of all.

Think that's a great choice. The P series saws are very fine indeed. Its a tough call to choose only one favorite. I've always been nuts about Homelite 650/750s, but ain't no knockin' a P60, PP655, or whatever flavor of this great line of saws.

Dan

We will have to put them up against the Super 650 when it arrives in the mail....Oopse did I just say that :hmm3grin2orange:

Congrats WM! :clap:. Bet you feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to hurry up and get here.

Dan

Latest posts

Back