6 cubes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Homelite 1020 smoked my 1050. Stocks saws my 1020 is the strongest but my ported Poulan 6000 is one mean saw. We will have to put them up against the Super 650 when it arrives in the mail....Oopse did I just say that :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a 1130G but have not run it yet. Homelite 2100's are pretty stout. My echo CS-900 @ 92cc is very strong

Damn Rick. Gotcha a Super 650 coming already? Getting closer to having the "Pro Set" squared away.

That's interesting about your 1020 and 1050. Assuming they're both equaly 'healthy' (or equaly 'worn') then they are basicaly the same saw. The porting should be the same. Timing may have been slightly off on the 1050. Ahh............I bet I know where the discrepancy lies...

Does/did your 1050 have a Walbro SDC on it? I have a friend who bought one of the last 1050 Supers made (new back in 1980-whatever), and it came with the Walbro. He said it was a dog compared to the older 10XX Homelites he had.....................until he swapped in a Tilly HL setup. Then "it was a whole different saw" according to him.:givebeer:

Damn Rick. Gotcha a Super 650 coming already? Getting closer to having the "Pro Set" squared away.

That's interesting about your 1020 and 1050. Assuming they're both equaly 'healthy' (or equaly 'worn') then they are basicaly the same saw. The porting should be the same. Timing may have been slightly off on the 1050. Ahh............I bet I know where the discrepancy lies...

Does/did your 1050 have a Walbro SDC on it? I have a friend who bought one of the last 1050 Supers made (new back in 1980-whatever), and it came with the Walbro. He said it was a dog compared to the older 10XX Homelites he had.....................until he swapped in a Tilly HL setup. Then "it was a whole different saw" according to him.:givebeer:

The 1050 I had was strong...Don't get me wrong. Just my 1020 felt a little fresher and felt like a little more grunt. The 1050 I had was an old school one. It had the Tilly HL and everything on it. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

Yea I'm pretty excited about the super 650 on the way. It needs a little tinkering but its complete and everything. The 650 is probably the hardest one to find next to the 450. 550's and 750 seem to pop up often. Anyways I'm stoked and will have to update my 3 saw plan again.

Picked up a Pioneer 600 today,103cc.
havent checked it out yet but pulls over good :)
same size as my super 620 that does run..
then the homie 750,, hhmmm,,what else i got that big ?? will have to look again :)

I own and run a few of the big McCulloch saws, 1-85 @ 95cc, 550, 740, 840 @ 99cc, 795 @ 103cc, SP105 @ 106cc, SP125 @ 123cc. For sheer enjoyment, I have to give the nod to my 1-85, the music is the sweetest and it is plenty fast even with the 2:1 gear drive. I really need to find a 1-75 or 1-76 as the direct drive version must be a real blast to run.

I also have a tired old Wards 90 with the AH81 (8.1 In³), it makes a lot of noise but is not what you would call a fast saw.

The SP125 is great but you have to have a longer bar (maybe 32" or more) burried in some solid wood to really appreciate what it has to offer. The 840 (3:1 gear drive) handles the 48" bar and 1/2" pitch chain very nicely, but again it's not exactly fast.

One of these days in the not too distant future I hope to have my SP118/Dolmar 166 up and running. I expect it should be a lot of fun as well.

Mark

What we don't see enough of is these big guns running in some fat wood...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NcuXV4RqtQU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NcuXV4RqtQU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

What we don't see enough of is these big guns running in some fat wood...

Yep, I agree, although big wood can be tough to be had, seems that some sons of beachs already cut most of it.

Redwood977a.jpg

Yep, I agree, although big wood can be tough to be had, seems that some sons of beachs already cut most of it.

Redwood977a.jpg

Hey look...........................There's a pic of a smilin' RandyMac holding a big Stihl while a big Mac sits off to the side....:jawdrop:

Nice beard.................and GREAT pic of the big wood (with springboards!) in the "old days"...:cheers:

Hey look...........................There's a pic of a smilin' RandyMac holding a big Stihl while a big Mac sits off to the side....:jawdrop:

Nice beard.................and GREAT pic of the big wood (with springboards!) in the "old days"...:cheers:

The SP had a cracked sparkplug, I had to climb out and get the gutless wonder. About a week after that pic, that saw went away, back to the dealer. Our agreement was that if it couldn't cut it, he would take it back, he got it back.

The SP had a cracked sparkplug, I had to climb out and get the gutless wonder. About a week after that pic, that saw went away, back to the dealer. Our agreement was that if it couldn't cut it, he would take it back, he got it back.

What was that..............an 075? Shoulda bought a Homelite...or at least had a spare plug for the SP...:givebeer:

Last edited:
Yep, 075, I would have just put a plug in it, but Ray had to fiddle with it, insulator pieces fell inside.

Man I hate that. Then you have to hold a saw with a big honkin' bar straight up and shake it like hell....................hoping that:

1)The damn piece of the plug falls out

2)You actualy SEE the thing fall on the ground, amoungst all the duff and crap

3)The piece you saw fall out was the ONLY piece that got into the saw.

If you don't have all three...............then it's teardown time....:chainsaw:

When I get a sec I'll shoot you a PM. More to discuss. Hope yer PM box isn't full anymore...:cheers:

Latest posts

Back