60” two man crosscut saw I.D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hohriver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For anyone interested, have this felling saw would would like to I.D.

Also searching for a professional saw filer to straighten/tension/sharpen.

Attachments

• IMG_4439.jpeg
    IMG_4439.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4460.jpeg
    IMG_4460.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4465.jpeg
    IMG_4465.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
My dad was a misery whip filer, well known in the woods around our area and for some unknown reason he always called that tooth pattern a Swede saw, possibly a pattern that the Swedish boys used in the woods. Any tooth pattern that had a left and right offset cutters followed by the raker he called Swede. Any other manufacturer name or letters stamped in that blade?

My dad was a misery whip filer, well known in the woods around our area and for some unknown reason he always called that tooth pattern a Swede saw, possibly a pattern that the Swedish boys used in the woods. Any tooth pattern that had a left and right offset cutters followed by the raker he called Swede. Any other manufacturer name or letters stamped in that blade?

Thanks for your reply- no other marked yet- stopped cleaning when I found the etchings.
Hope it may be an adkins!

Attachments

• IMG_4471.png
    IMG_4471.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4468.jpeg
    IMG_4468.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for your reply- no other marked yet- stopped cleaning when I found the etchings.
Hope it may be an adkins!

Hope it may be an adkins.
The tooth pattern appears to be the Champion type according to some lit I found among dads filing gear/gauges n stuff, that pattern was used by many manufacturers. The etching that can be seen on your saw may be an identifying source, it`s not one I have seen before. I have seen many of the Aitkins logo`s before and they were 3 A`s inside a rotary saw blade . I can insert a link to a good pic of their logo scroll down a bit from the top when it opens,
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/crosscut-saw-thread.885774/page-23

It's a worn Champion tooth eastern felling saw. Western saws had teeth out to the ends. I don't recognize the etch, any words legible? Simonds saws had a sunrise logo on their big saws but it wasn't that prominent. I file saws professionally but I doubt you'd want to spend that kind of money on a saw in that condition.

Yes, I don't think it's a Simonds, but it made me think of their etch.
I think there could still be a bit more info around that etching if it were cleaned up some more. I have had some good success with applying gun blueing over the etchings and then flat sanding with fine sandpaper on a flat block, doing so prevents the sandpaper from removing more of the etching and the blueing stays down in the etching making it more readable.

It's a worn Champion tooth eastern felling saw. Western saws had teeth out to the ends. I don't recognize the etch, any words legible? Simonds saws had a sunrise logo on their big saws but it wasn't that prominent. I file saws professionally but I doubt you'd want to spend that kind of money on a saw in that condition.
Thanks for your reply- I’ll kee cleaning it up but pretty sure that’s it for markings- heard 50 bucks a foot is standard- you can tell it’s wore out from the picture?
Eastern saw vs western saw- is that saws made for western trees or saws made in western states?
Thanks again

Thanks for your reply- I’ll kee cleaning it up but pretty sure that’s it for markings- heard 50 bucks a foot is standard- you can tell it’s wore out from the picture?
Eastern saw vs western saw- is that saws made for western trees or saws made in western states?
Thanks again
Eastern style saws had tab/non-toothed ends that would fit a loop handle. Western saws had teeth out to the ends. I'm on that Wilderness list as a saw filer, but I live in Michigan, a long way to mail a saw. I'll second John Starling as a filer closer to you. Filing charges are part length, part hourly, part fixing what may be broken. From your pics, the saw doesn't look too terribly worn but it's had a few filings.
How do you intend to use it? It's a felling saw and wouldn't be as easy to buck firewood with as a bigger bellied bucking saw.

Need the saw to fall some hardwood. Battery saws are not that expensive but the batteries sure are. Gas saw not an option because of landowner, so am being accommodating for the job. Would have gotten into it before now but never had a practical reason.
Thanks for everyone’s input.

Attachments

• IMG_4488.jpeg
    IMG_4488.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Back