60+ Foot Swing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the design and fun factor. In thinking about the saddle safety suggestion, this could also be a way for kids (of any age) to become more comfortable with a climbing saddle. Use a saddle instead of the swing seat.....

I took Treetimer's suggestion. A Buckingham Versatile works GREAT with no swing seat at all, just the batten butt strap, using the two most widely spread attachment points on the bridge. Very secure feeling, much better than the normal swing seat. The Versatile works especially well because of the multiple fixed attachment points. Also tried it with my Traverse and with a New Tribe, did not work quite so well because of the sliding bridge (traverse) and fixed center attachment point (New Tribe) - less separation between swing lines resulted in less control over spins, and the ropes come up in front of the face too closely - but I might be able to use the side D's to get some separation. I'll have to fool with it some.

Saddle instead of swing seat gives me the opportunity to raise the release point. At about 45 degrees the "client" (victim?) is leaning pretty far back in a regular swing seat. Using the saddles I was able to get up another 10 feet very comfortably.

I'm using a Big Shot trigger release now instead of the hand release. Some of my "clients" were not getting a clean release with the hand held method. They tended to release with one hand and yet still try to hang on with the other, giving them a spin and causing some rope burns. With the Big Shot Release Snap they get a nice clean release with no spin, or if they want to spin a little they can twist in the saddle a little before they pull the trigger and get a little spin without swinging sideways.

Pretty crazy feeling of helplessness when you pull the trigger and immediately recognize you are totally at the mercy of your pre-planning for the next few minutes. And the first, longest, highest swing is backwards. Great Fun!

... Does anyone know where I could buy a really huge swingset, higher than 16feet?

I'm in Massachusetts.

Thanks.

Got any 100 foot Loblolly Pine?

There are several 25 foot plus swings in my neighborhood that are hung on Oak or Sweet Gum limbs with varying success. One guy even did it "Right" by through bolting his swing tie in points through the limb rather than just tieing the rope around the limb, girdling it. But, my 60 footer got 'em all beat.

Problem with most of the higher swings is that you really cant swing higher than someone can push you even with the long ropes. They dont "Pump" like a school yard swing because of the longer throw, so much of the additional tie in point height is wasted. Unless you can rig a pull up and release system like mine or like Out n About.

Last edited:
Here is a fun rope swing. Sorry for the poor quality video, as you can see in the vid the tie point in up out of the top of the frame, I would say the rope is 60' long, and you climb up a rock/dirt face about 30' above the water, then swing out. It's very exhilarating to say the least.
And yes its me on the swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TSYRtPR95A

Last edited:
dangit. i got stuck in youtube on ropeswings lol. saw one that was borderline shockloading 13mm lin from about 300ft...... worlds biggest rope swing or something like that

Back