$6000 for one tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younggun

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I visited my brother in wooster this weekend and we got to talking about a big silver maple in his front yard. the trunk is starting to grow in to the porch roof so he wants it down. he had a local tree service com out and they gave him an estimate of $6000! maybe I'm just not familiar with the going rate up there but this sounds kind of steep to me so i figured id see what a few of yow had to say about it.

I can do it for 1/2 that figure; plus wash and wax his car. I'm sure everyone would love to see a photo of the tree if you can post it.
Phil

That sounds about right, most commercial professional ahrborist make that kind of money daily and are multi-kazillionaries. That why we have so much time to convince others not to get into the biz and steal our gravy. Most will always advise to call a pro to do the work just for the kickback. :cheers: We also have a lot of time to answer ridiculus questions on online treecare/ chainsaw forums, but what else are we going to do, it gets boring counting piles of cash. I advise to pay the company and get the work done ASAP before the price goes up.

I had a couple local companies give me a price to drop a Silver Maple. No haul, no chipping, just get it on the ground. Prices ranged from $850 to $3990......go figure.

younggun said:
the company also sayd it would cost extra to LEAVE the wood

Told you, get a contract signed, next they will start billing for chainsaw gas and oil and add a fancy lunch onto the bill. :eek:

Dadatwins said:
That sounds about right, most commercial professional ahrborist make that kind of money daily and are multi-kazillionaries. That why we have so much time to convince others not to get into the biz and steal our gravy. Most will always advise to call a pro to do the work just for the kickback. :cheers: We also have a lot of time to answer ridiculus questions on online treecare/ chainsaw forums, but what else are we going to do, it gets boring counting piles of cash. I advise to pay the company and get the work done ASAP before the price goes up.
____:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes sir jump on that deal right away! Do NOT do anything rational, like calling a carpenter to rebuild the the eaves to allow for the tree's growth. It's always best to give them the check up front, and kick in $100 to each and every person who replies to this thread!

While he's at it, Michael Jackson's legal fund could use some backing.

:monkey:

tree

How about this for a suggestion , get 3 quotes , when you are going to decide on a contractor ask to talk to a couple of past customers and go look at there work. I think we would all like to see the tree and the surroundings , you may also have very expensive dump fees in your area. It sounds a little fishy but maybe it's right over a glass solarium for all we know.

Small Wood said:
I can do it for 1/2 that figure; plus wash and wax his car. I'm sure everyone would love to see a photo of the tree if you can post it.
Phil

You say that as if its a total joke.

Youve never removed a 6K tree?

And to automatically say you'd do it for half? Geez no wonder the pricing in our industry is the way it is. Sight unseen and your already cutting throats.

treeseer said:
Yes sir jump on that deal right away! Do NOT do anything rational, like calling a carpenter to rebuild the the eaves to allow for the tree's growth. It's always best to give them the check up front, and kick in $100 to each and every person who replies to this thread!

While he's at it, Michael Jackson's legal fund could use some backing.

:monkey:

I want my $100 now, I hope no one minds. I would like to get $6K to do a tree, no one would shell out that kind of money in this area. They would let it fall over first.

Larry

Larry

Last edited:
You're correct. It was a bad joke. I bet I've taken down a bunch of 6K trees and didn't know it. I'll rethink my bid. No wash and wax on the car until I see the tree.
Regards,
Phil

younggun said:
the company also sayd it would cost extra to LEAVE the wood[/QUOTE

Quite often it is more work and more cost to leave the wood from my standpoint, IF i have to cut it up in firewood. This means our whole crew has to run saws and dull them, get pinched etc instead of me ( the most experienced ground man ) making 3 or 4 cuts in a 50 ft log and 1 man with a loader picking it all up in a few minutes and its done. This of couse applies to big trunks.....smaller trees most often it is less work to cut it up and leave it.

Young gun said it would cost more if they had to leave the wood!!!!! What, is the buttlog worth huge money? I am cynical, I call BS on this, Timber, Jayweber, Young gun, your check is in the mail, I won't ---- in your mouth honey, c'mon. BS,BS.

TreeCo said:
Tophopper you rascal,

I feel for sure without even seeing the tree I could beat Smallwood's price by 10%.

Especially if I could get more work at the site topping a few more.

Hey..........I've got kids and a mortgage if you know what I mean!:laugh:

Dan

il do it for 2900 usd

Katrina brought out the worst in people around here. A friend asked me to come look at a tree on his parents house- blow down. His parents hired someone to cut it w/out his knowledge. The "owner" of the business climbed on the house, cut the tree, used another tree as a crane and pulled the tree off with a skidsteer.4800$ and they left the wood in the drive. Sumrall, Ms couple had 8 trees down, just needed them cut and moved. Trees were 45-90 feet tall. 38,500 to cut and PUSH into their field. Oh yes, on the afore mentioned tree as a crane- I had to go back there and take it down due to his ----- way of rigging- hooks up the tree and ringed the trunk.

I just turned down a 4 grand job today because it would have taken me forever and I have a tight schedule. 70 foot cottonwood about 50 inch diameter houses, powerlines, fences, pools and decks. Yup 4K easily.

brother

younggun said:
I visited my brother in wooster this weekend and we got to talking about a big silver maple in his front yard. the trunk is starting to grow in to the porch roof so he wants it down. he had a local tree service com out and they gave him an estimate of $6000! maybe I'm just not familiar with the going rate up there but this sounds kind of steep to me so i figured id see what a few of yow had to say about it.
you do it, babe

bring it

Small Wood said:
Phil
i just got one for 10k im low bid, c'mon up

another one

doggonetrees said:
Katrina brought out the worst in people around here. A friend asked me to come look at a tree on his parents house- blow down. His parents hired someone to cut it w/out his knowledge. The "owner" of the business climbed on the house, cut the tree, used another tree as a crane and pulled the tree off with a skidsteer.4800$ and they left the wood in the drive. Sumrall, Ms couple had 8 trees down, just needed them cut and moved. Trees were 45-90 feet tall. 38,500 to cut and PUSH into their field. Oh yes, on the afore mentioned tree as a crane- I had to go back there and take it down due to his ----- way of rigging- hooks up the tree and ringed the trunk.
you should have done it

Latest posts

Back