$6000 for one tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
younggun

younggun

ArboristSite Operative
reading theas poasts has made me reaalise a cupple things. one, all the hacks around were i live keep the prices prity low. two, i need top get out of the sticks a little more. three, i need to seriously reavaluate how i bid.

Grace Tree

Grace Tree

Impossible Access
$6000 Tree

younggun said:
reading theas poasts has made me reaalise a cupple things. one, all the hacks around were i live keep the prices prity low. two, i need top get out of the sticks a little more. three, i need to seriously reavaluate how i bid.

I guess it's all location. I can't ever remember seeing a 10k removal in Wooster.
6k would have to have some special circumstances. Within a 30 mile radius of Wooster there are proabably a dozen Amish guys that would take it down for 500 bucks even if they had to free climb in their leather soled shoes and chunk it down in two foot lengths. It's kind of like buying an acre of cheap land in Mississippi and moving it to Manhattan. Sounds good but it just won't work.
Phil

younggun

younggun

ArboristSite Operative
the other big problem around hear is most people want the job done by the cheapest bider and not check to see if ther actuly quifyd to do the job

SCE1966

SCE1966

ArboristSite Lurker
I have bid many jobs and trees at 5K and up. Do the math thats all there is to it, if you need $75 per man per hour to run your business, and you have a 4 man crew thats $300 and hour. 20 crew hours is $6,000. I have seen a lot of guys go crazy in storms overpricing things though. I dont think that is right. However making a good living at what we do is essential. I have been doing tree work for 25 years. You put that much time into an occupation you need to make good money for your skills.

SCE1966

SCE1966

ArboristSite Lurker
clearance said:
Is this alledged tree like 6' at the butt and 200'+ tall? C'mon, 20 hours.?
I dont know what they are looking at. I just know what I have bid in my area. Plenty of trees that are that are difficult and time consuming. Its just not unsual for a bid that size.

tophopper

tophopper

ArboristSite Guru
clearance said:
Is this alledged tree like 6' at the butt and 200'+ tall? C'mon, 20 hours.?

Ya know we dont all work in the bush. Big trees in small yards dood.

Not all trees can be removed simply by gaffing up and tautlining down as you would say. Ive seen many 2 day trees for a full crew.

But what would I know... Im outta my league eh?

clearance

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hoppy,I have cut down lots of trees in backyards, this one, alledgedly is in the front yard. How about 3 big Doug firs in a back yard all at least 90', one that had to be 110' 3'+ at the butt, very little room, glass solarium, fences etc. a long way to the chipper. And 4 Doug firs in the front yard, smaller like 80' each. Went there with 2 bucket trucks, a chip truck and 2 chippers. 6 guys, almost all in one day, I blocked down what was left in about 3 hours myself the next day, all the trees in the backyard had to be climbed and most all the branches roped down. I think it was bid at $3900, we took the logs. Besides, cutting down trees in yards is nothing compared to utilty removals, now I do work in the bush, beside treeguys I get along with, loggers.

SCE1966

SCE1966

ArboristSite Lurker
clearance said:
Hoppy,I have cut down lots of trees in backyards, this one, alledgedly is in the front yard. How about 3 big Doug firs in a back yard all at least 90', one that had to be 110' 3'+ at the butt, very little room, glass solarium, fences etc. a long way to the chipper. And 4 Doug firs in the front yard, smaller like 80' each. Went there with 2 bucket trucks, a chip truck and 2 chippers. 6 guys, almost all in one day, I blocked down what was left in about 3 hours myself the next day, all the trees in the backyard had to be climbed and most all the branches roped down. I think it was bid at $3900, we took the logs. Besides, cutting down trees in yards is nothing compared to utilty removals, now I do work in the bush, beside treeguys I get along with, loggers.
Based on what you describe your working at the same hourly rate as we do. Plenty of equipment to pay for on that job as well. So I would say we are in agreement. Each job is different. Several select trees in my area cost a lot of money, many whole jobs can be even more expensive. We dont overprice our work, but we do charge enough to make a profit.

clearance

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Actually 1966, at the time I believe our boss was charging an hourly rate of about $55 man hr., so he did well + like I said got some logs too.

jmack

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
hire em

Small Wood said:
I guess it's all location. I can't ever remember seeing a 10k removal in Wooster.
6k would have to have some special circumstances. Within a 30 mile radius of Wooster there are proabably a dozen Amish guys that would take it down for 500 bucks even if they had to free climb in their leather soled shoes and chunk it down in two foot lengths. It's kind of like buying an acre of cheap land in Mississippi and moving it to Manhattan. Sounds good but it just won't work.
Phil
hire them then, anchorman

jmack

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
plumbers

younggun said:
yeah you do, i think you said it best with the word hacks, i wonder if you reaserchers would have have evaluated a plumbers quote so hard..... well to clear the clog we have to clear the trap to clear the trap i have to clean out the .......................... cmon man quit yer ?????ing especially about other co. you sound like some seniors at the diner drinking a bottom less cup of coffee cause yer to cheap to eat the food, hey i got an idea bring yer own eggs to the diner then the hash and eggs will be reduced .. cuz ya brought yer own eggs! imagine the diner charging 4-6 dollars for hash and eggs. well hell eggs by me cost 89cents for a dozen and the diner only using two! they gotta lower the price on the menu its too high. oh and by the way you never answered about why your not doing it.

jmack

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
clarify

Small Wood said:
Phil
smallwood to clarify, did these amish guys walk twenty miles to school in the snow as well... i need to check these facts before i hire them. oh um and your 500 dollar figure, now just hear me out on this one, monkees, i beleive these animals are trainable and from what my people are telling me they are using bananas as a reward for positive reinforcement.

Grace Tree

Grace Tree

Impossible Access
$6000 Tree

jmack said:
hire them then, anchorman

I won't hire them. I can't even watch them.

jmack said:
smallwood to clarify, did these amish guys walk twenty miles to school in the snow as well... i need to check these facts before i hire them. oh um and your 500 dollar figure, now just hear me out on this one, monkees, i beleive these animals are trainable and from what my people are telling me they are using bananas as a reward for positive reinforcement.

I don't believe they've walked twenty miles to school. Around here they've left the public school system and gone back to one room Amish schools that are located every mile or so on the back roads. Their education is finished after grade 8 and they're free to enter the workforce. There are 14 and 15 year old kids felling, skidding, working in sawmills, running heavy equipment etc. and for the most part they seem to be immune from regulation. Do I agree with that; absolutely not. Would I hire them to crew with me; no thanks. Are they hacks; sure. The point I'm trying to make is that there are real tempering forces on the cost of labor in this area so if you're looking for a 10 grand tree you'll probably have a hard time finding it in Wooster, OH.
Phil

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
This reminds me of a story I heard not too long ago. Guy gets a price of $5000 for one tree. Decides it's too much, goes and spends $600 on a chainsaw and hooks the tree up to his jeep. Starts cutting, and the tree starts going back towards his house taking the jeep with it. Somehow the jeep managed to keep the tree off the house, so now the guy calls up the tree company again. They come back and do the job for $10,000.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Small Wood said:
I won't hire them. I can't even watch them.

I don't believe they've walked twenty miles to school. Around here they've left the public school system and gone back to one room Amish schools that are located every mile or so on the back roads. Their education is finished after grade 8 and they're free to enter the workforce. There are 14 and 15 year old kids felling, skidding, working in sawmills, running heavy equipment etc. and for the most part they seem to be immune from regulation. Do I agree with that; absolutely not. Would I hire them to crew with me; no thanks. Are they hacks; sure. The point I'm trying to make is that there are real tempering forces on the cost of labor in this area so if you're looking for a 10 grand tree you'll probably have a hard time finding it in Wooster, OH.
Phil

And around here, all the big dealers (stihl, Husky, and Jred) are all amish too. I don't see the income in wooster for a 6K tree. If I can ask, who bid that? I am no longer in the tree service, but used to be and betcha I know who it is, can get some info and post pics of the said cash tree. Wooster is not an up and coming town like a medina that is gowing through huge growth. Most of the big money businesses have left town. The next 5-10 year will determine if this town will survive with the times or become an another canton. lol

BTW Phil, welcome to the site, where are you located?

Steve

Grace Tree

Grace Tree

Impossible Access
$6000 Tree

Freakingstang said:
BTW Phil, welcome to the site, where are you located?

Steve

The snow belt up in Geauga Co. I think the sign says that we're the 4th largest Amish settlement. It's pretty much the same up here with saw dealers, air tool dealers etc. It's 90% amish. And they have 100% of the horse poop market.
Regards,
Phil

Nickrosis

Nickrosis

Manned by Boderators
treeman82 said:
This reminds me of a story I heard not too long ago. ... They come back and do the job for $10,000.
Matt, that is exactly your kind of story! You always hear about stuff like that! We should talk more often...sheesh, maybe another Italian dinner where I'll get something besides seafood. Actually, I know I'll be flying into NY later this year, so I'll be sure to factor in an extra day or two.