61 to 272 parts kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlmar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a $20 white top 61 that appears to have little use. Little scoring on piston exhaust side. So new lung is in order! Got it to run but not real well.

Tore apart to clean and replace rubber bits. I purchased the 272 cylinder kit from hutzl. It's cheap and the saw was cheap. Why not. Was going to use oem ring and bearing.

But I read on an old thread about a sponsor possibly having a kit to convert carb/intake??? Or maybe just the 272 intake and bolts?? Anybody have info on this.

On the conversion you will have to have the 272 intake block and bolts. Also the white top will not clear the cylinder. The spark plug angle gets in the way of the white top. You can make a small spacer to make up the distance. The Gray top ones will fit with no probem. The muffler bolts may need to be changed to match the 272 jug also.

The 272XP also has a heat shield between the cylinder and muffler, that is not used on the 61.

Sleepy is right, about the heat shield on the newer ones, but you will have to retain your old muffler. the white top 61's have a smaller muffler than the grey top 61,66, 266,268 and 272. the early white top mufflers are three piece and should come apart. All of the later ones are solid and are a pain to remove the baffles out of. The carb of of a 61 will work but has a smaller venturi than the 266,268,272 carb. to get full power increase the bigger carb should be used. the 266 carb will use the same idle screw in the saw body as the 61 .The carbs off of the 268,272 have the idle screw in the carb and will not adjust from the out side if used in the old two piece ignition case. one could swap the carb linkage to fix this. The white cover problem can be solved by getting a gray top from a newer 61or 66, or by getting the orange cover from the 266. the newer 268 and 272 covers will not match up bolt wise on the case.

Also.....one word of caution....if you use the older three piece muffler take it apart and remove the baffles/screen with the holes in it......after long use the two parts with the holes will start to fall apart.....not much of an issue when on the outboard side of the screen.....but when on the inboard side can and will be catastrophic......I just went through a older 266 with this type muffler.....nice old saw, put in new seals and O-rings, piston ring, fuel line, carb kit, clutch cover, rim sprocket and new OEM 18" B&C.......ran super for about a month in a light commercial application of daily use. Then it stopped, locked up, they brought it in and I started looking it over....wasn't locked up....hmmm...pulled the muffler...piston was ruined....pulled the jug and she would turn over but the bearings lockup then unlock. Ended up splitting the cases, new main bearings and seals again, new Meteor piston......fortunately the damage missed the cyl walls......runs great again now. Couple pics of what I'm speaking about....this is looking from the inside......the piece missing from the puzzle is the one that ruined the saw motor........just a word of caution.....wished I'd know then what I know now......would have replaced that muffler...sooner than when I had to....

Trenton 004.JPG Trenton 005.JPG

I am in the middle of a 61 to 272 conversion. I found a used HS260A carb for $25, don't remember what i gave for the intake. The white top was cracked and ugly so I just cut the top out so the cover fits. (I'll replace it later). Gutted the muffler. 2 of the 6 anti vibe bushings were shot so I replaced all of them. Didn't see the point in splitting the case. I need to finish the carb kit install. Just haven't had the time to get back to it. It was a running saw before I got to it :surprised3:. I'll post a video if works again. (On a new thread. I don't like hijackers.)

http://www.huztl.net/Chainsaw-Air-F...262-268-272-394-OEM-503-44-72-03-p226514.html
http://www.huztl.net/Chainsaw-Elbow-For-Husqvarna-268-272-OEM-503-44-65-01-p226520.html
http://www.huztl.net/Chainsaw-Top-C...er-Shroud-Cover-OEM-503-40-60-01-p226521.html
503 44 69-01 - Air filter holder
503 44 71-02 - Air filter gasket
503 44 67-01 - Air filter holder (bottom part)
503 21 27-16 - Screw x 4
503 44 68-01 - Clamp x 4
503 20 03-12 - Screw x 2
503 44 63-01 - Mounting bracket

All parts should be available from the dealer, that being said, may be cheaper to find someone parting out a saw

Also.....one word of caution....if you use the older three piece muffler take it apart and remove the baffles/screen with the holes in it......after long use the two parts with the holes will start to fall apart.....not much of an issue when on the outboard side of the screen.....but when on the inboard side can and will be catastrophic......I just went through a older 266 with this type muffler.....nice old saw, put in new seals and O-rings, piston ring, fuel line, carb kit, clutch cover, rim sprocket and new OEM 18" B&C.......ran super for about a month in a light commercial application of daily use. Then it stopped, locked up, they brought it in and I started looking it over....wasn't locked up....hmmm...pulled the muffler...piston was ruined....pulled the jug and she would turn over but the bearings lockup then unlock. Ended up splitting the cases, new main bearings and seals again, new Meteor piston......fortunately the damage missed the cyl walls......runs great again now. Couple pics of what I'm speaking about....this is looking from the inside......the piece missing from the puzzle is the one that ruined the saw motor........just a word of caution.....wished I'd know then what I know now......would have replaced that muffler...sooner than when I had to....

View attachment 606203 View attachment 606204
looks like the folks in the background are pleased you found the problem also

Just received parts from huztl. First cylinder from them for me. Not sure what to think. Look decent to me??? Any thoughts?

I am going to use oem ring. Wrist pin and clips if I can. Going to get cylinder set on tomorrow and get some timing numbers. Hopefully somebody can provide a little input on what numbers to shoot for after some grinding.
Don't think I ever say pics of a 272 huztl cylinder anywhere?

Attachments

• IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
I also got new av from them. The ones I got have a course thread. The saw tank assembly has a machine screw insert. What's a dummy do??

Its plastic. I thought there was something good about it saying Italy but couldn't remember the reasoning

Thank you much...

I got some timing numbers tonight. These are without base gasket. Would greatly appreciate any input. Plan on giving it the "works". Whatever seems right?

I would think a little more intake and a little less exhaust? I really struggle reading transfers.

Intake - 73
Exhaust - 106
Trans - 123

Pretty addicting to try and understand what all the real builders do in there sleep.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
I built a hot rod 61 with that same Italian made 272 cylinder kit from Hutzl. It's a strong runner and major power upgrade for the old 61. I had a small issue with that jug in that the flange that goes into the case was out of spec and too tight to fit into the case, had to file it down a few thousand. I only cleaned up the ports, no base gasket, muff mod, and 272 carb and it's now a fire breather. I detailed my build on here I'll try to find the link. Here she is in her natural environment:

IMG_1587.JPG

Just watch some of the videos on Wiemedogs YouTube channel. Pretty informative and explained a lot of things I have read.

I am using AM 272 intake block. 260a carb and probably the old 61 air horn. Have the AM 272 air horn but don't like the way it interferes with choke lever. I have base gasket delete. Squish right at .20 and did some grinding. Trying to use a set of numbers close to what @srcarr52 posted years back in a couple threads. Working on muff mod now.

Only thing I have found to not work so far is the Huztl muffler for the 272 I got. You can just see in the pictures where the muffler won't tighten to the cylinder because of the case. The 61 muffler support doesn't bolt right up to the 272 muffler. I think I can make it work though. Just thought somebody looking down the road might learn from it??? Just needs a small dent put in it. 61 muffler was dented in real bad almost past repair. like somebody dropped something on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
As you've probably figured by no they made these saws for 25 plus years and there were many changes along the way. I used my 61 muffler and 61 grey top. 272 muffler wouldn't fit with grey top cover. Don't forget the correct 272 carb bolts. Different size than the 61. I used my 61 air horn as well. Mine has some serious compression and sounds mean. Once you get all the kinks worked out you'll be impressed. I was bucking some 18" ponderosa logs a few days ago and I'd guess it's twice as fast on the same wood as a stock 61. Really fun saw now!

I still need to throw a 272 clutch on mine. The 61 clutch starts to slip when you push on the saw. It's a runner!!

Latest posts

Back