61 to 272 parts kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not even sure what it takes to switch a clutch? What are the differences?

That interest me.... something to think about???

If you have a white top 61 it'll have the coarse thread crank/clutch.......only one clutch choice and you've got it. On your muffler....if you used the gaskets and heat shield from a later saw would that space the muffler away from the case enough??

Easy to remove the clutch. These clutches take a socket so no special tools, left handed thread. My M12 Milwaukee impact usually breaks them loose.

I'm not sure what threads my gray top 61 is. I think it's an 83 build. If I get time tomorrow I'll try and look. I've got a Jonsered 670 west coast (same family) and I'll see if the threads are the same.

Just watch some of the videos on Wiemedogs YouTube channel. Pretty informative and explained a lot of things I have read.

I am using AM 272 intake block. 260a carb and probably the old 61 air horn. Have the AM 272 air horn but don't like the way it interferes with choke lever. I have base gasket delete. Squish right at .20 and did some grinding. Trying to use a set of numbers close to what @srcarr52 posted years back in a couple threads. Working on muff mod now.

Only thing I have found to not work so far is the Huztl muffler for the 272 I got. You can just see in the pictures where the muffler won't tighten to the cylinder because of the case. The 61 muffler support doesn't bolt right up to the 272 muffler. I think I can make it work though. Just thought somebody looking down the road might learn from it??? Just needs a small dent put in it. 61 muffler was dented in real bad almost past repair. like somebody dropped something on it.

With the heat shield and a slight tap from a ballpean hammer it should fit nicely. The 272 muffler supports are cheap if you can't make the 61 one work.

What AM 272 filter horn are you using? 272's didn't come with a filter that will fit under the hood of a 61. You'll need the flat style filter and neck from a late model 61 or 266.

Easy to remove the clutch. These clutches take a socket so no special tools, left handed thread. My M12 Milwaukee impact usually breaks them loose.

I'm not sure what threads my gray top 61 is. I think it's an 83 build. If I get time tomorrow I'll try and look. I've got a Jonsered 670 west coast (same family) and I'll see if the threads are the same.

Well my old gray top 61 has the same fine thread clutch as my J-red 670 or 272xp. I'll try the heavy duty 670 clutch on my 61 and see if it is any kind of improvement with the slipping issues. I don't know what year they changed the threads on the crankshaft.

I got the saw together tonight and after redoing the pull rope...... I remembered I put a decomp in it.

As soon as I put some fuel in the saw i picked it up and noticed the carb and filter horn were already full. Dumped it out and it did it again. I pulled the fuel line off and it just sat there and burped fuel. Anybody know why? I don't see how it could be building pressure to just flow out like that? I did end up getting it to fire with whatever fuel was in it after pulling and pulling. So I know it will run.

I intend on using the older style filter horn with the single bolt but for the evening I had to use the huztl 2 bolt horn because of the different length of bolts for the 272 cylinder. I didn't have any small washers to make the original horn work for the moment. I ended up putting just a tiny perfectly placed dent in the muffler and it works just fine. just needs modded.

Well my old gray top 61 has the same fine thread clutch as my J-red 670 or 272xp. I'll try the heavy duty 670 clutch on my 61 and see if it is any kind of improvement with the slipping issues. I don't know what year they changed the threads on the crankshaft.

As with most production changes, I think the thread change was phased in over a period of time. Not really a sudden stop/start and implemented differently on many different models of this saw family. I have an 83 and 84 266XP...both with coarse thread ....I have an 85 and 86 61 and both are fine thread....So I would guess 84-85 was the time frame of the change.

As with most production changes, I think the thread change was phased in over a period of time. Not really a sudden stop/start and implemented differently on many different models of this saw family. I have an 83 and 84 266XP...both with coarse thread ....I have an 85 and 86 61 and both are fine thread....So I would guess 84-85 was the time frame of the change.

I might of been off on my saws build date. I just went out and checked my serial number and it's a silver tag with a serial # that starts with a 7 I thought they switched to black tags in 1987 so I'm doubtful when my saw was built. It was my old man's so I'll see if he remembers when he bought it. It does have the dual coil set up and came with the the old style metal brake. It was pretty tired when he handed it down to me. But even the stock 61 is a great saw.

Bingo. Removed and could not get air either way. Ended up ruining it but figured out that was the problem.

Saw still floods every time I install fuel line and get it to pop. Carb kit install tomorrow.

Sounds like you're getting close. Are the mixture screws set out too rich? Mine barely needs any choke when first starting too. Hopefully you get it going soon.

Ran mine with the 670/272 clutch today, you can definitely push on the saw more now. I went a year without it so it's not a game changer with the bigger clutch but just gotta finesse it a bit more with the smaller 61 clutch.

The verdict is in. The $20. 61 is going to live another few years. Even if it is no longer a 61!

Just needed a carb kit and off it went. Didn't get to run it in any wood tonight. Maybe tomorrow. Still thinking about the clutch change?

After all the grinding I ended up with

Intake - 77
Exhaust - 102
Trans - 122

Need to give it additional muffler port, a good carb tune and I think I'm done. Might give it a slight timing advance if I think I could get more out of it. Don't know if it does much good on these. Have read both ways.

Was my first partial build. Everything apart but the cases. Pretty enjoyable on a very easy saw to work on.
Thanks for all the info and help. Onto the next one.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
That's a clean looking 61!!! You stole that for $20 bucks! Nice work. Give us a report after you get some cuts in.

Latest posts

Back