65 degrees and nice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It was 65 and sunny today here in Clevland Ohio. My garage roof was leaking so I spent today fixing it. I let the fire go out last night before we went to bed. Im not going to light it tonight and maybe clean it out tomorrow. The only problem is Im lost. I miss tending my fire. I feel empty. I need to see flames. Am I crazy?:confused:

I'm sure you are crazy, but not about missing the cold. Same weather here in Virginia. Between the thawing and the showers, everything is muck down at the logpile. Can't go down and split. Looks like a week of warmer temps and then back to the deepfreeze.

Right now I'm burning all the punky crap plus odds and ends.

72 here

Unfriggin bahleavable.Spent most of my day loading up the house and front porch for the return of winter.Long lines @ the carwash.Ironic that i spent that kind of day doing firewood re:cheers: local,but it sure beats doing it in 5 degree weather

Yeah it was 60 - 65 today in Mid Missouri, real wet though and soggy. I cut a little wood at sun break, but then around 8:00am it started to rain so I quit. I just left it lay in the woods and will go down with my 4 wheeler or tractor once the ground freezes. I kept a small fire in the OWB all day and it is going good this evening as it is suppose to be low 30s tonight. Weird weather for sure, just wished when it warms up like this it is not so wet and muddy, just walking in the yard you sink a few inches. Sometimes it's easier to work the wood up with the ground being frozen....

Last edited:
It got up to 68 where I am. Killed the stove for the day and only just lit it to keep us warm tonight. Funny enough, I kept meaning to get to my wood pile to split some rounds but my wife's friends wouldn't leave this afternoon and when they finally did, we had to leave for our family supper. I want to finally clear the rest of the driveway of two silver maples so my wife's stops complaining about the mountain of rounds that are there esp since I will be cutting a lot come January.

Got up to around 40 here today. Still cold enought that some heat was required. Kept the fire lower today burning chunks and scraps. It will go out tomorrow cause I won't be home, but the temp is supposed to go to the high 50's, so I would be letting it go out anyway.

One way to look at this is that we don't chew up the wood piles as quick. I don't mind some of these mild weather spells to give a little brake from burning. When the cold returns, I'm more into it and look forward to getting a fire going. When the cold is constant and your burning non stop I sometimes find myself getting lazy about starting a fire when I get home. That usually happens near the end of the heating season. If I get home a little late, I'll say "The heck with a fire tonight" and turn the heat on.

I know I should get 30 lashes for saying that on this forum, but you have to admit there's a difference between staring a fire in late October and starting one in late March. :cheers:

Last edited:
70 here in pataskala ohio today. Very muddy for splitting/sawing. Ended up noodling some big rounds so I could spread the sawdust to keep the mud at bay while splitting. I would rather it had stayed frozen.

Steve

70 here in pataskala ohio today. Very muddy for splitting/sawing. Ended up noodling some big rounds so I could spread the sawdust to keep the mud at bay while splitting. I would rather it had stayed frozen.

Steve

It didnt matter if the ground was thawed I was on the roof of my garage.Getting windy here now.:cheers:

I'm always amazed by these freak warm ups. Just a week or so ago it was -1 degrees with 4-6 inches of snow and ice. Yesterday it was 60 and I was outside sloppin around in the wet grass. Supposed to cool down today to the 30's and right now I can hear the wind just a howlin.

Ya got that right, By the end of feb. i'm burn't out on throwin wood in the stove.

Yeah, that's about when it starts to kick in. By the middle of march, I'm really looking forward to the last fire.

Remember last year, burning into April and May? All of those "Still Burning?" threads we had here? We were all pretty tired of it by then, weren't we? LOL

Yeah, that's about when it starts to kick in. By the middle of march, I'm really looking forward to the last fire.

Remember last year, burning into April and May? All of those "Still Burning?" threads we had here? We were all pretty tired of it by then, weren't we? LOL
I sure hope it's not a repeat from last year. Last night when the cold front came through it was 29 in north part of the state and 72 in the south part, Crazy

According to the minivan it was 72F as my wife, kid and I went out to meet my bro inlaw for some Mexican about 6p lastnight. Was rather nice. We were out bowling afterwards till just before midnight and it was still warm.

Lots of wind and it appears to be cooling down today; when I got up, it was 68F in the house at 4am and about 67F now. Sun appears to be out, so we'll see if I need to light up or not come late afternoon.

While I love burning, I for one are enjoying the break in wood hauling and tending the fire. Could go with another week of this ;)

Tes

Last edited:
Supposed to be in the high 50's here today "if" the sun comes out, in the 40's if it doesn't. Right now it is overcast and foggy, so probably it'll be in the 40's. At any rate, maybe later we can let the fire die down and open all the windows for 10-15 minutes. Grandma did that and it was an older version of air exchange, when you close the windows, the house heats much easier with the new fresh air......if you don't believe it...try it.

Last edited:
They say we may see 60 here today.I will use the weather to get some stacking done by the OWB and maybe get another load of wood near the shed.

We've had to run the AC down here since Wednesday morning. I'd much rather be feeding the stove than burning electricity.

We hit 59 here, I've got mud up the yazoo - :mad: I did get the chimney cleaned though, 1/2 cord split & stacked [soaked up a pair of gloves pretty good] It'll get back to normal [????] in a few days.

Just got back in the house from slopping around in the mud at the wood pile. Oh joy, what fun it is to work in the mud. I have a bunch of junk wood in the woods to clean up and burn but the ground is just too soft. I'll wait till it gets colder. This warmer weather and sunshine makes me want to get out and do some "spring cleaning" but it's just too soft out there for that.

Latest posts

Back