660 vs 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1974

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
660 does well, but i get it bogging in wild cherry and maple.

i'm getting a business up and going now - lot's of promise for a couple niches.

is the 880 worth it over the 660? In terms of production - how much improvement is it over the 660 in cutting production per hour?

Am I better off looking for an older 090 or 075 and refreshing/tweaking?

I run a logosol M7, water cooled.

I'm investigating purchase options for bandsaws, of course - but interested in understanding what 880 (or 075/090) can do for me first.

Please let me know thoughts

660 does well, but i get it bogging in wild cherry and maple.

is the 880 worth it over the 660? In terms of production - how much improvement is it over the 660 in cutting production per hour?
I haven't seen any speed tests done comparing the 90cc saws to the 120 cc saws, but I know what you mean about bogging the 660.

I've heard the new 880's are kinda lame as they come from the factory with a restrictive exhaust, limited coil, and governed carb. Member BillSteuwe says his new 880 only pulls 6000 - 7000 rpm in the cut. That would not be an improvement over a 660 spinning 8000 - 9000 rpm in the cut.

I suspect the 120cc saws are capable of doing much better than 6000 rpm, but it may take some tweaking to overcome the exhaust and carb limitations.

Since this is for a business, and since you are considering a bandmill, I'd save the money for a bandmill rather than an 880.

I have both, a nice running 066 and a newish 880 with only a few tanks run through... My personal opionion is the 880 is a big PIG, the 066 is much faster in the cut. I put a different carb on my 880 and haven't really tested it out but from what I did it seems to be much better.

I pretty much second what mtngun wrote.

The bigger saws are more powerful and cut faster but if you're thinking about a bandsaw mill for a job its suited for then save your money for that. On the other hand if you want to cut really big slabs an 880 or other big saw will be better than your 660 or a small to medium bandsaw.

I find that my 3120 (120cc) is more powerful than my 2100 (100cc) saw as expected by the difference in displacement and I'm very pleased to have the bigger saw. I also like having more saws for spares and for other cutting while milling. Its really frustrating to need a big saw for another task when your only one is bolted up to the mill.

The difference in overall production between a 100cc saw and a 120cc saw is not 20%. So much of your time is spent in set-up, sharpening, etc. that overall you don't gain that much from a cut that finishes 2 minutes sooner - you still have the same set-up time. It might be one or two cuts over a whole day of milling. If you're only cutting wood over about 30" the bigger saw becomes an even better idea.

Think about the work you will be doing and buy the tool that fits that job. That might be a bandsaw mill or it might be a big chainsaw. If you don't know the job, hold on to your money until you do.

As far a hand held cutting, I would pick up a 660 over an 880, it's weight and bulk just don't pay. Even a ported 460 will out cut an 880 in wood under 2 feet or so. Just did that comparison this week.

But on a mill the torque of the big motor can pay off. Though when looking at dumping a grand plus into a saw I think the money would be better spent going towards a band saw. At least if you are talking production work. Going to a band will be cheeper and faster to run plus blow less saleable wood to dust.

IMHO stay clear of the old saws if you plan real work, just it is hard to find good ones and parts can be a hastle, fine for hobby stuff but not the ideal situation when paying the bills depends on having the equipment working day in day out.

I don't know anyone who has moved from a 660 to an 880 on stock setups and been impressed by the improvement in cutting speeds. It's only when going to bigger wood that one notices any real difference, the 880 will just keep going whereas the 660 starts to struggle.

I've heard the new 880's are kinda lame as they come from the factory with a restrictive exhaust, limited coil, and governed carb. Member BillSteuwe says his new 880 only pulls 6000 - 7000 rpm in the cut. That would not be an improvement over a 660 spinning 8000 - 9000 rpm in the cut.
If a stock 880 is only pulling 6-7k in the cut there is something wrong with it.

In smaller wood, both machines will be chain limited so chain speed is critical. Since the 660 is capable of higher revs it is theoretically capable of producing faster times but the 880 has greater torque so can handle higher cutting angle cutters (lower rakers) so cutting speeds end up being about the same. In bigger wood torque becomes more and more critical which is why torque beasts like the 076 and especially the 090 are so good in big wood

I suspect the 120cc saws are capable of doing much better than 6000 rpm, but it may take some tweaking to overcome the exhaust and carb limitations.
Correct

Since this is for a business, and since you are considering a bandmill, I'd save the money for a bandmill rather than an 880.
I agree.

I think the deference will be the same as cross cutting if your in the right wood with the right saw thats when your going to tell the tell...no subs for cubic inch.

On the 36" oak I just slab the 880 cut without bogging till the chain was well past dull. It does suck fuel though 8' length at 36" was almost an entire tank per pass.

Back