661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motul 710 is JASO-FD with a viscosity very close to Stihl hp ultra. Anybody using Husky XP oil? It's also a FD certification.

i use to have a polaris express 300 2 stroke about 6 yrs ago and all i ran in it was pennzoil air cooled oil at 40:1
i ran it till a druggy stole it.

Keep in mind alot of the oils you refer to as good would not pass those tests. Some would if course, but oils like 800t, r50, H1r etc would not.

I spoke with a Motul Rep. over a year ago when Keith (KG441) and I were trying to decide on a 2-cycle oil for our ported chainsaws. The Rep. said 710 and 800 use the same base oil but they use an improved detergent (additive package) in the 800. If this is true, the 800 series would certify as FD since 710 is. He also recommended 710 over 800 in my chainsaws. I've been using 800 off-road with great results but it might be overkill in film strength. I need to test both in my ported, non-mtronics, saws.

I spoke with a Motul Rep. over a year ago when Keith (KG441) and I were trying to decide on a 2-cycle oil for our ported chainsaws. The Rep. said 710 and 800 use the same base oil but they use an improved detergent (additive package) in the 800. If this is true, the 800 series would certify as FD since 710 is. He also recommended 710 over 800 in my chainsaws. I've been using 800 off-road with great results but it might be overkill in film strength. I need to test both in my ported, non-mtronics, saws.
Looking at the msds it's easy to see this isn't true. They are night and day different.
It seems alot of you guys look at running these high film strength oils as overkill with no downside, but there are downsides.

Looking at the msds it's easy to see this isn't true. They are night and day different.
It seems alot of you guys look at running these high film strength oils as overkill with no downside, but there are downsides.
That's why I would like to compare 710, 800, and a few chainsaw FD oils. If 800 is overkill, Klotz R50 is even more overkill. Downside....performance?

Best I remember the Rep. saying is go with the 800, rather than 710, if your 2-stroke has power valves. Motorcycles have them but chainsaws doesn't?? The 800 has a better detergent for keeping them clean. Guess I need to try 800 vs 710 vs Husky XP 2-cycle oil at 32:1 and 40:1.......performance and film strength.

i tried the 800 in my trimmers and blowers and i noted the equipment needs to warm up otherwise it slobbers i think this oil has a hard time burning in a cold engine.
the oil must have a flash point of around 500 degrees.

i go by first hand experience and word of mouth by forum members not by a certification on a label
because before i used this site i used supertech 2 cycle oil in everything i own because my buddys used it with out problems.
they are people who spends a lot of time out on the water or run a lawn care biz that use that oil.

the lucas i use for 9$ quart does just as well as those voodoo oils that cost 20-25$ liter.

i tried the 800 in my trimmers and blowers and i noted the equipment needs to warm up otherwise it slobbers i think this oil has a hard time burning in a cold engine.
the oil must have a flash point of around 500 degrees.
The reason may be due to it's lower viscosity index (VI) . A higher VI, like Motul 710, may not show that trait. 710 is a "thinner" oil than 800.

I agree with bwalker in the part of application. 50 weight oil vs 20 weight. I think about if my car calls for 5w20 am I gonna use 15w50?

Best I remember the Rep. saying is go with the 800, rather than 710, if your 2-stroke has power valves. Motorcycles have them but chainsaws doesn't?? The 800 has a better detergent for keeping them clean. Guess I need to try 800 vs 710 vs Husky XP 2-cycle oil at 32:1 and 40:1.......performance and film strength.
800 has a a really high ash content for a two cycle oil, meaning that it has alot of zinc and calcium antiwear/detergent additives. While at face value this sounds like a good thing, mettalic ash is what causes plug fouling and pre ignition causing deposits.

The reason may be due to it's lower viscosity index (VI) . A higher VI, like Motul 710, may not show that trait. 710 is a "thinner" oil than 800.
It really has nothing to do with that. VI index is resistance to change in viscosity with changes in temp.
800 drools because by its nature it has a high end point(forget flash point!)meaning it takes a lot of heat to combust fully. It will not run clean in most chainsaws.

Back