661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bwalker how would u feel about running thoso heavier oils @ 40:1?
I am opposed to it. When.picking an oil it should run clean at 32:1 or even lower ratios. If it doesn't it's the wrong oil for the application.
Bearings like oil in quantity not quality and bearing failure is.common in many newer EPA compliant saws.

I am opposed to it. When.picking an oil it should run clean at 32:1 or even lower ratios. If it doesn't it's the wrong oil for the application.
Bearings like oil in quantity not quality and bearing failure is.common in many newer EPA compliant saws.
What would be your response to folks here claiming to run these heavier oils with 0 buildup? Just not enough run time?

The reason may be due to it's lower viscosity index (VI) . A higher VI, like Motul 710, may not show that trait. 710 is a "thinner" oil than 800.
it did smell good after using it a while not overpowering like r50 which gives me a headache after an hr.

What would be your response to folks here claiming to run these heavier oils with 0 buildup? Just not enough run time?
Could be, also could be that saw is ran under heavy load at high rpm's.

All this really boils down to educating yourself and doing what you feel is appropriate for you. If you know the positives and negatives, dealing with them is fairly easy, and less expensive than a new top end.

All this really boils down to educating yourself and doing what you feel is appropriate for you. If you know the positives and negatives, dealing with them is fairly easy, and less expensive than a new top end.

i ran R50 for 3 yrs in my stuff at 40:1 without any build up or crud never fouled a plug either everything had a nice coating of oil inside and looked spotless
of course i run a side business of mowing 30 yards per week and ran my stuff under load for hours on end 5 days a week and never had a problem
except the smell was getting to me.

One other point. There seems to be the idea that running these high temp oils provides some amount of insurance. In general this isn't true. If you run a saw too lean, you will toast it, period and regardless of what oil you use.

One other point. There seems to be the idea that running these high temp oils provides some amount of insurance. In general this isn't true. If you run a saw too lean, you will toast it, period and regardless of what oil you use.

Some may think just that. Without proper amount of fuel, you lack the proper amount of oil. With that said the shear strength of oils like R50, 800 is undeniable, and is what I prefer to use in some applications, mostly my saws. My blowers, trimmers all get 50:1 Motul 800 off road, I see no excessive buildup whatever. I believe the dispersants in Motul's oils work very well, even with all the ZDP.

Some may think just that. Without proper amount of fuel, you lack the proper amount of oil. With that said the shear strength of oils like R50, 800 is undeniable, and is what I prefer to use in some applications, mostly my saws. My blowers, trimmers all get 50:1 Motul 800 off road, I see no excessive buildup whatever. I believe the dispersants in Motul's oils work very well, even with all the ZDP.
800t uses a calcium based detergent. Nitrogen based dispersents are used in outboard oils and work pretty poorly at the temps an air cooled motor reaches.

Sorry for the extra posts, the site is acting wacky, can't even delete the extra posts.
Who cares ....... its such a great post it should be repeated a few more times. :bowdown: :bowdown:

I liked each one !!:laugh:

I've tried using Motul 800 and my climb saws hate it, it just makes a black sticky mess. They get a quite a bit of idle time in between cuts sometimes so im sure that has something to do with it.

It sure does, and here is where the mileage varies.

Post up a picture of a saw run hard for 12 tanks with a "good oil", and you get "hardly run" (first pic)
Post up a pic of a saw run hard for 12 tanks with Ultra and you see burned pepperoni pizza.:surprised3: (Second pic)

Fuel quality and run conditions play a real large part in how each users experience with any particular oil is

An idled saw will spit out oil @ 32:1
A saw run hard will be dry @ 32:1

Attachments

• 661r with H1R.jpg
    661r with H1R.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 661piston on 12 tanks of 40-1 ultra.jpg
    661piston on 12 tanks of 40-1 ultra.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 33
It sure does, and here is where the mileage varies.

Post up a picture of a saw run hard for 12 tanks with a "good oil", and you get "hardly run"
Post up a pic of a saw run hard for 12 tanks with Ultra and you see burned pepperoni pizza.:surprised3:

Fuel quality and run conditions play a real large part in how each users experience with any particular oil is

An idled saw will spit out oil @ 32:1
A saw run hard will be dry @ 32:1
BINGO!!! Kind of like a trail bike vs a race bike. They require different oils at different ratios.

I'll be at my Dealer tomorrow and will ask how many bearing failures they have a year. I'm curious. Either in or out of warranty.

I wonder how many AS members that use 32:1 have actually had a bearing failure, since this is the primary reason everyone talks about running way more oil that OE specifies. Any pictures?

Back