661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would that be? Talking about Ultra or any dry lubricant. (That sounds bad dont it?) And is dry necessarily bad?

There are spray lubricants that work well like graphite that are dry.
Not saying it doesn't work. I'm just not going to test it out milling.

Don't these posts kinda contradict with eachother?
No they dont. One post I am pointing out that most of the highest certified oils are blends and in the other I am pointing out that despite the common thought that full synthetics are better than blends, some blends are better than full synthetics.

Surely an oil like 710 which is designed for both would be fine? What puts you off an oil designed for both applications?
I am sure it would. It's just my preferance to use pre mix oils in premix applications.
One thing to consider with injector oils. Most injector systems Put out no to very little at Idle, but really pour the oil to the motor at full throttle. My last sled was a Skidoo 800 and if I was on the gas all day riding rail bed trails it hand figured out to a bit more oil than 20:1. AS a result of the quantity of oil you have alittle cushion as far as protection goes that you don't with a premix application that is fixed at say 40:1. Of course the newer injector systems on the emissions compliant motors probaly oil less,but they are designed for that with features like crank bearings that are sealed with grease so they aren't lubricated by the injector oil.
FWIW I ran Citgo Sea and Snow(@$8.99 a gallon back then) in the sled above and put 7500 miles on it using that oil only. That particular engine had a poor ring design and ate pistons and rings often in very few miles. I attribute the long life of my motor to the fact it oiled heavy from the factory and that I never fooled with the oiler. Many friends did because they deemed the oil consumption excessive and they paid the price.

tried a 545 my dad bought with 800 motul at 32:1 it would kinda of bog and run a little funny WOT.
dumped his husky xp 50:1 back in it and ran it a few more times problem solved.
strange? tried my mix which is lucas at 32:1 it was fine i guess the 2 yr old stocker don't like motul 800.

besides it not liking the thick oil im mighty impressed over the performance.
the chain is lack luster but the saw is awesome.

I just left a site that was trying to settle a simple problem to come to this site, which is trying to solve an extremely complex problem. The other site was trying to determine the formulation for calculating the number of angels on the head of a pin. This is an oil thread.

I think people are losing sight of the fact that 2 cycle oils are a combination of base oil or oils and an add package. The entire package works together to determine the outcome. Some people are focusing on one aspect of the oil to make conclusions that are not valid when one considers how the entire package, when added to the fuel, works for the designated purpose.

The other thing that one must consider, that was pointed out to me some time ago, is the migration of oil through the the engine. I use the same saw for felling and then limbing the tree. The oil that works well at wide open throttle may foul at idle. The oil that works well at idle may provide inadequate protection at full throttle. When felling and limbing the oil that works well at idle may provide adequate oil protection at full throttle until the excess oil that has collected in the crankcase depletes itself. I am using Motul 710 2T at 32 to 1 currently. If I was milling, where the saw is at full throttle for extended periods of time, I would probably use Motul 800 off road or even Motul on road.

As I said before, i think that the oil engineers at any of the top teir oil producers are capable of formulating oils that are comepletely adequate for the purpose at hand. I don't think that the differences between the top tier oil producers is significant enough to state that one is the "best". What is "best" is subject to interpretation. Do due diligence and be happy with your choice.

Back