661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will get you a fat fine here if they catch you w/o a muffler screen. If you start a fire with a saw (or anything else) they can bill you for the fire suppression fees, which can be in the million$ here.
Its mostly deciduous forests here and it's wet as a rule. The odds of starting a fire are slim to nill. And it's also all private land, so there is no they, ie the FS, BLM, etc.

Its mostly deciduous forests here and it's wet as a rule. The odds of starting a fire are slim to nill. And it's also all private land, so there is no they, ie the FS, BLM, etc.

Here in this state (and all the adjacent states in the west), they do not mess around with fire restrictions or regulations. If you start a fire on your own land, or on BLM land, FS land (national or state), be it from fence welding, chainsaw activity, or with a pack of matches, you are liable for any fires started by you, or as a consequence of your activity or from managing your property and/or logging. The later also means things like if you leave unburned slash piles and lighting strikes it and starts a fire, you are liable for the fire. You must also have a minimum of fire suppression equipment handy when wood cutting here in most places during fire season, like shovels, rakes, extinguishers, etc. The fines vary by state/region/county/reservation for removing spark arrestors on any type of vehicle or chainsaw. 'They' here means any number of law enforcement like state police, sheriffs, local police, fire district personnel, fire crews, OSHA, BLM, USDA, Indian Reservation police, state and national forest service, yadda yadda.

Also any and all forestry and logging activity here in the west is strictly regulated during fire season. They set up time of day restrictions in 4 phases here: normal/unrestricted, semi-hoot owl, hoot owl, and closed. Hoot owl restrictions limit the time of day that you can cut and perform certain logging activities, like chainsawing, skidding and truck loading. Generally it is designed to keep you from starting fires from logging activity during the hottest hours of the day, depending on conditions which change over the year and from year to year. And it does not matter where you are logging; private land, BLM, forestry land, or whatever. Restrictions (and exceptions) apply to whatever fire district that you are in.

Here in this state (and all the adjacent states in the west), they do not mess around with fire restrictions or regulations. If you start a fire on your own land, or on BLM land, FS land (national or state), be it from fence welding, chainsaw activity, or with a pack of matches, you are liable for any fires started by you, or as a consequence of your activity or from managing your property and/or logging. The later also means things like if you leave unburned slash piles and lighting strikes it and starts a fire, you are liable for the fire. Generally here you must also burn your slash by law in the wet season. You must also have a minimum of fire suppression equipment handy when wood cutting here in most places, like shovels, rakes, extinguishers, etc. The fines vary by state/region/county/reservation for removing spark arrestors on any type of vehicle or chainsaw. 'They' here means any number of law enforcement like state police, sheriffs, local police, fire district personnel, fire crews, OSHA, BLM, USDA, Indian Reservation police, state and national forest service, yadda yadda.

Also any and all forestry and logging activity here in the west is strictly regulated during fire season. They set up time of day restrictions in 4 phases here: normal/unrestricted, semi-hoot owl, hoot owl, and closed. Hoot owl restrictions limit the time of day that you can cut and perform certain logging activities, like chainsawing, skidding and truck loading. Generally it is designed to keep you from starting fires from logging activity during the hottest hours of the day, depending on conditions which change over the year and from year to year. And it does not matter where you are logging; private land, BLM, forestry land, or whatever. Restrictions apply to the entire area of the fire district that you are in. They generally exempt urban area arbor work and the like, but it varies by district, county and state.
You can't compare our forests to yours. We might have a forest fire of decent size once every few years, and then it's always in jacking or red pines forests, which are more like what you guys deal with. I never cut jackpine, so it's not an issue for me. When I logged we also never got checked by anyone on private land, ever.

Few get checked here either on private land until something happens and they are investigated, or someone turns them in. Then there was what happened after that TV show AxeMen went on the air. OSHA rarely went out anywhere to check rigging and equipment around here, until that show came on. Then every logging crew and site on that show had at least one, if not several OSHA people show up and hand out citations and fines. All they had to do was watch the show and look for infractions to write up citations. It was a turkey shoot for them.

Then there was that fool that did the log salvage in Washington state rivers. He was also on AxeMen, and the state shut his azz down in a hurry after his episodes aired. It was an open and shut case in court. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, just watch the TV". He is somewhere in the South now I think? Swamp Logger or something like that? Dumb as a stump?

Here in this state (and all the adjacent states in the west), they do not mess around with fire restrictions or regulations. If you start a fire on your own land, or on BLM land, FS land (national or state), be it from fence welding, chainsaw activity, or with a pack of matches, you are liable for any fires started by you, or as a consequence of your activity or from managing your property and/or logging. The later also means things like if you leave unburned slash piles and lighting strikes it and starts a fire, you are liable for the fire. You must also have a minimum of fire suppression equipment handy when wood cutting here in most places during fire season, like shovels, rakes, extinguishers, etc. The fines vary by state/region/county/reservation for removing spark arrestors on any type of vehicle or chainsaw. 'They' here means any number of law enforcement like state police, sheriffs, local police, fire district personnel, fire crews, OSHA, BLM, USDA, Indian Reservation police, state and national forest service, yadda yadda.

Also any and all forestry and logging activity here in the west is strictly regulated during fire season. They set up time of day restrictions in 4 phases here: normal/unrestricted, semi-hoot owl, hoot owl, and closed. Hoot owl restrictions limit the time of day that you can cut and perform certain logging activities, like chainsawing, skidding and truck loading. Generally it is designed to keep you from starting fires from logging activity during the hottest hours of the day, depending on conditions which change over the year and from year to year. And it does not matter where you are logging; private land, BLM, forestry land, or whatever. Restrictions (and exceptions) apply to whatever fire district that you are in.

This wins post of the week. I would suggest everyone go to wildfiretoday.com and check out the latest video too.

I got checked last year on private property. No big deal all my saws are stock anyway. But you could tell they were on a witch hunt.

View attachment 428859

This is the oil a local Logger prefers. He said he gets about 5 years out of his 372's mixed at 25:1. I bought this bottle, 6.4oz, for $1!

It's blended and bottled by Omni Specialty Packaging, the same folks who blend and bottle Stihl's oils in NA. The price is certainly right and available at my local mower shop and Walmart dirt cheap. They claim that it meets JASO FD.

Data sheet:
http://www.pureguard.com/products/small_engine_oils/pds/F-70 Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle.pdf

MSDS:
http://www.pureguard.com/products/small_engine_oils/msds/2-Cycle Engine Oil.pdf

This wins post of the week. I would suggest everyone go to wildfiretoday.com and check out the latest video too.

Cool site. Amusing read about the BLM Jeep in Anza Borrego/Mt. Laguna. I used to live in San Diego and go off roading out there every spring. I added it to my favorites list which also has this site, which I live by in summer here.

http://www.esri.com/services/disaster-response/wildlandfire/latest-news-map

Last year my brother and I were 500 yards or so from a lightning strike that started a medium size fire out in a one horse town called Post, the geographical center of Oregon. Damn thing had me out of my own skin and in the car in a nanosecond. The firefighters at the motel we stayed at that night said they left the fire line on another fire near where we were because of those lightning strikes. Too dangerous. Fortunately it rained there that night and they got those under control the following day.

I started a fire with my saw the summer i was learning to fall trees. Hot july weather in the shuswap, last trees i cut were a couple big cottonwoods, then walked to the truck, luckily my boss noticed a puff of smoke coming from where i had been working, he jumped on the skidder and got it stomped out. Could have been bad as it was friday afternoon and we were all headed to town. And no, i didn't have a spark screen, so it can happen!

It's blended and bottled by Omni Specialty Packaging, the same folks who blend and bottle Stihl's oils in NA. The price is certainly right and available at my local mower shop and Walmart dirt cheap. They claim that it meets JASO FD.

Data sheet:
http://www.pureguard.com/products/small_engine_oils/pds/F-70 Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle.pdf

MSDS:
http://www.pureguard.com/products/small_engine_oils/msds/2-Cycle Engine Oil.pdf
Think I might go buy the rest. This particular store, Bumper to Bumper, is getting out of retail sales and only doing repairs. He had several more 6-packs of the 6.4oz oil ($6 - 6 pk). Also the large bottles of bar oil for $5.

Its amazing how hot a green needle softwood canopy will burn in hot weather. I read somewhere that green needles contain oxygen, adding to the intense heat, crown's almost explode in forest fires
The other thing that's shocking is how fast conifer forests dry out. I lived in the boreal forest of northern Canada for 6 years and if you didn't get rain every few days it became very dry. And the forest fires where intense and large.

The other thing that's shocking is how fast conifer forests dry out. I lived in the boreal forest of northern Canada for 6 years and if you didn't get rain every few days it became very dry. And the forest fires where intense and large.

The beetles are getting to a lot of the species in the boreal forests now and killing them. Like they have killed the pines in he US west.

And speaking of tree crowns almost exploding, they actually do explode. I have seen them. There was the HUGE fire in San Diego County that started in a stand of beetle kill pine that the greenies would not allow to be logged for 'environmental' reasons. They tied logging up in court until a heat wave came along and burned it all down. That fire was massive. I watched as tree after tree burst into flames. You could see the gasses streaming out of the trees as they heated up and then the fire leapt across the front and woosh! Fire is a huge issue here where I live in the Mt. Hood National Forest. I have a steel roof house and Hardie siding. I applaud when my neighbors here log their tracts. But my pines will become Roman candles in any good forest fire here, as embers descend from the smoke. I get a lot of fly ash dumped here during forest fires, and a lot of smoke. *cough cough* The last big one near here last year was started by a few idiots shooting exploding targets during a red flag day. The brain trust of Oregon...

Back