661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a fan of Husky oil. None of their offerings are true synthetics. I've notices over time that the saws that I see running it are dirtier than others as well.
I haven't seen enough engines run on silver bottle Husky oil to say for sure, but it has seemed ok when I have ran it.
Writing off a oil because it's not a "true synthetic" isnt very sharp. There are full synthetics that suck azz, just as there are blends and mineral oils that suck azz.

What does running an oil at 20:1 do to cost efficiency of the oil? Sounds rather expensive to me.

Wouldn't a better choice be an oil that don't have to run all doubled up over itself make more sense?

Nice pics.

What does running an oil at 20:1 do to cost efficiency of the oil? Sounds rather expensive to me.

Wouldn't a better choice be an oil that don't have to run all doubled up over itself make more sense?

Nice pics.
To you & me it makes no sense! We call that a WOFTAM
Thansk

Nice pics.
The cost is negliable, given I typically don't run a saw like this case.
K2 is very high quality oil, so IT CAN be doubled up. The load involved, specifically the ripping and running a 24" bar in our hardwoods with a stock 60cc saw merited 20:1 IMO and IME.

The cost is negliable, given I typically don't run a saw like this case.
K2 is very high quality oil, so IT CAN be doubled up. The load involved, specifically the ripping and running a 24" bar in our hardwoods with a stock 60cc saw merited 20:1 IMO and IME.
So how did your exhaust outlet look ?
Clean right ?
Pics ?

Also looks like alot of dust ............... maybe that chain didnt like the rotten wood and dulled some going through it ? Was the chain hot from not enough oil ?

I'm in Goonies with a 36" bar in Red oak also and run over double your ratio. I use a step stool to cut over trunks laying on the ground to reach over the tops. NO problem :)

I'd put my oil up against anyone elses out there, zip tying new saws for a grand to the winner :) 100:1 ratio of course.

That's efficiency.

I just love the biggest, most bad azz Goonies N.E. Ohio has to offer.

What gives me joy are 4 to 6 limbs coming out of a jointed 50" plus tree and busting through them all at once! Lol

But most are not in your envious circumstance. From your posts I'd have thought you had a fleet of saws and a tanker standing by lol. Along with a full crew of a dozen chainsaw smiths!

So how did your exhaust outlet look ?
Clean right ?
Pics ?

Also looks like alot of dust ............... maybe that chain didnt like the rotten wood and dulled some going through it ? Was the chain hot from not enough oil ?
Exhaust outlet pic attached.
20150607_202115.jpg
Dead red oak is dusty no matter what. Chain was sharp and there was very little rotten wood. Just a bit of shake on the one that blew over and the other was completley sound.

But most are not in your envious circumstance. From your posts I'd have thought you had a fleet of saws and a tanker standing by lol. Along with a full crew of a dozen chainsaw smiths!
I have a few in the quiver, but got rid of my big iron several years ago as I just didn't use it much. Most of our wood is small given the short growing season so a 60cc saw works just fine for me.

I'm in Goonies with a 36" bar in Red oak also and run over double your ratio. I use a step stool to cut over trunks laying on the ground to reach over the tops. NO problem :)

I'd put my oil up against anyone elses out there, zip tying new saws for a grand to the winner :) 100:1 ratio of course.

That's efficiency.
Wouldn't run 100:1 in a Wild Thing I hated..

Since I got it I rarely pic up my other saws. Like it alot.

I know the feeling. But in bad stuff the 661c is a GIANT 562xt if you will. I just leave the big bar on it and often grab the 562 to see what it can do.

When you are using the right ratio and oil for the job at hand the AT and Mtrons are a lot of fun to listen to how they sort out the demands at hand. Since the screwdrivers are useless with these new saws, I've found the ratios and oils are the only things I can change up to deliver optimum performance. Call me nuts, no wait, I will first, I'm nuts, but messing with the ratios and oils have become a challenge and fun to see the results. I blasted 64:1 ratio yesterday and nothing blew apart lol. And also ran 43:1 too.

If certainty brings happiness in your life so be it but I sure like the edge. There isn't a mistake, health aside, that $ can't fix.

Latest posts

Back