661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the feeling. But in bad stuff the 661c is a GIANT 562xt if you will. I just leave the big bar on it and often grab the 562 to see what it can do.

When you are using the right ratio and oil for the job at hand the AT and Mtrons are a lot of fun to listen to how they sort out the demands at hand. Since the screwdrivers are useless with these new saws, I've found the ratios and oils are the only things I can change up to deliver optimum performance. Call me nuts, no wait, I will first, I'm nuts, but messing with the ratios and oils have become a challenge and fun to see the results. I blasted 64:1 ratio yesterday and nothing blew apart lol. And also ran 43:1 too.

If certainty brings happiness in your life so be it but I sure like the edge. There isn't a mistake, health aside, that $ can't fix.
I would love a 661, just have no use for one. I don't have a tree over 30" on my acreage, and most are much smaller. A ported 346XPG was my only saw for quit a few years and it worked just fine

I would love a 661, just have no use for one. I don't have a tree over 30" on my acreage, and most are much smaller. A ported 346XPG was my only saw for quit a few years and it worked just fine

Knowing what is needed in life verses what is desired is a sign of wisdom. I sure missed that one by a bunch lol. We tend to start at the top of the HP range for what is needed instead of exhausting the capabilities of the smaller cc saws. In doing so I've missed the nuances that the small saws should have been telling me. I've changed now :)

I have a few in the quiver, but got rid of my big iron several years ago as I just didn't use it much. Most of our wood is small given the short growing season so a 60cc saw works just fine for me.
I only limb with my 60cc saw....think it's actually 59cc (036). Once you use a larger ported saw it's hard to go back.

I wonder how many tree are passed up that only need a 50cc-60cc saws on AS to find trees to justify the BSLB syndrome (big saw, long bar)that seems to infect AS members.

I wonder how many tree are passed up that only need a 50cc-60cc saw on AS to find trees to justify the BSLB syndrome (big saw, long bar)that seems to infect AS members.
I don't pass much of anything up when I'm cutting usually doing whole tree clean up. I will pass up anything that's not worth the time to put on a mill in the woods though unless someone is there getting firewood at the same time. I do run the 550 a lot more than I used to.

I haven't found a problem running husky oils but in saying that I would change if the general consensus was a particular brand was better .. Open to suggestions !!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I wonder how many tree are passed up that only need a 50cc-60cc saws on AS to find trees to justify the BSLB syndrome (big saw, long bar)that seems to infect AS members.
i got a 24 on my 590 running full skip i only us it for felling or bucking.
im working on getting a bigger saw for primary of felling since i got larger trees on the property im looking at a cs 800p and a 28''

Took down a very large standing dead red oak today and another dead one that a storm took out. One was 38" DBH and the other 33". Used my stock 562xp with a 24" bar and 72LGX chain. Needless to say the saw was given a work out. Especially so given the fact I had to rip the rounds in half to make handling easier. Knowing I was going to load the saw up pretty good I decided to try K2 at 20:1. Worked like a charm and noticed no differance in engine performance, smoke ,etc.
The only thing thing I can complain about was the fact that the 562's oiler isn't adequate for a 24" bar and the saw was way under powered for a denseView attachment 429263 UP red oak of this size

That's surprising. One of the best things about my 562 is the ability to oil the 24in. bar with plenty to spare. I've also noodled 24in. long honey locust & black cherry with it. The honey locust is a lot harder than red oak. The oiler handled all easily. Just for the record, I was using the Husky canned stuff (95 octane with 50:1) & have removed the muff to look at the piston, etc. It looks very good.

Does anyone run a different oil or ratio between their limbing saws and Goonie or Milling saws?

I don't pass much of anything up when I'm cutting usually doing whole tree clean up. I will pass up anything that's not worth the time to put on a mill in the woods though unless someone is there getting firewood at the same time. I do run the 550 a lot more than I used to.
I didn't even have you in mind[emoji1] milling alone justifies a big saw and long bar. I mean guys that could easily cut firewood year after year with nothing more than a 50cc-60cc saw like Sunfish

Back