661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have good luck with semi skip or full skip square noodling ,my reg cutting angles work fine and smooth ,reg full comp chain plugs up easier with noodles ,square top plate is 20-25 normally for me ,ripping /milling i like 10 degrees on top plate ,zero side plate ,i tried more aggressive side plate and it started getting jerky milling ,

Edit ,if you are a serious noodler side cover mods are required,you do not want to be standing behind a saw like this if do not want a noodle shower View attachment 429407
Does the full skip square stay sharper longer than the semi-skip when noodling?

No, the more cutters you have typically equals the chain stays sharper longer overall. Unless you hit the nasty then you're hosed either way.

Does the full skip square stay sharper longer than the semi-skip when noodling?
I would think so ,only noodling i do is cutting the flare off the butt of a log so it fits the mill ,i know full comp plugs up more than a skip would in softwoods

No, the more cutters you have typically equals the chain stays sharper longer overall. Unless you hit the nasty then you're hosed either way.
sounds logical ,more cutters doing work should dull less then less would think

I don't know a single person using square for anything other than racing.
Around here it is pretty common ,i use it for everything but milling ,one of the tricks to making the 32 inch bar work better on a 440 stihl ,we do not cut oak and such hard stuff though .I have tried to go back to round a few times ,the round is just too grabby after running the square .

Square has been faster for me and seems to stay sharper longer than round.

I think it depends on what your cutting.

for me it seems (new) RSLF dulls in about 1-1.5 tanks. (new) RS dulls in about 3-4 tanks. On the 661. But I'm cutting mostly hard wood. I think the more blunt edge of the Stihl Square Ground ie. at 20 degrees is part of the problem.

What claims? And

I have no reason to believe that my 562 was down on power at 201:1. It ran great. And half azzed unscientific test are a waste of time and money..
Besides I didn't run 20:1 to make more power. I did so to protect the motor under extreme conditions, like ripping these rounds in half.View attachment 429374
Ha ha, those half arsed timed tests are what are used every day in motor sport right up to the most sophisticated formula one category & nothing beats real world testing, I'm too lazy or not that interested chase a red herring to go back over the many pages to regurgitate what you have claimed a few times, I wanted to see if it made more power not less & I am interested in seeing if a ridiculously rich oil mixture does anything at all other than give someone emphysema before their time is truly up. I find it funny that you think ripping a couple of rounds is extreme in mild temperatures. Here are a couple of pics of some mild ripping which I was doing last week, 50:1 castrol TTS & not a problem, nor for the thousands of posts before that I have done with that saw.
Thansk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 64
Ha ha, those half arsed timed tests are what are used every day in motor sport right up to the most sophisticated formula one category & nothing beats real world testing, I'm too lazy or not that interested chase a red herring to go back over the many pages to regurgitate what you have claimed a few times, I wanted to see if it made more power not less & I am interested in seeing if a ridiculously rich oil mixture does anything at all other than give someone emphysema before their time is truly up. I find it funny that you think ripping a couple of rounds is extreme in mild temperatures. Here are a couple of pics of some mild ripping which I was doing last week, 50:1 castrol TTS & not a problem, nor for the thousands of posts before that I have done with that saw.
Thansk
Ripped alot more than that..
As for ridiculously rich. You might educate yourself what's used in motor sports other than chain saws. Karts routinely run 16:1 as do road race bikes. My mx bikes mfg reccomends a 30:1 ratio, which is common..
Data is only good if it's of quality and making himan timed cuts in a variable substance in varying conditions is a variable crap shoot.

I think it depends on what your cutting.
I fooled around with a loop of square a member sent me years ago. It cut ok in sugar maple, but wasn't a ton faster than my hand filed round. I found it a ***** to touch up using a goofy file and by the time I had sharpened it a half dozen times it was cutting slower than my round.
I am sure it's great stuff, but I don't have the need, nor desire to fart around with it. I also have never seen it used in the woods logging up here.

Ripped alot more than that..
As for ridiculously rich. You might educate yourself what's used in motor sports other than chain saws. Karts routinely run 16:1 as do road race bikes. My mx bikes mfg reccomends a 30:1 ratio, which is common..
Data is only good if it's of quality and making himan timed cuts in a variable substance in varying conditions is a variable crap shoot.
What has that irrelevant rubbish got to do with running 20:1 in a saw designed for 50:1, it's no wonder you can't do a basic test, you seem to think you know more than formula 1 race teams. LOL
Thansk

Saw was ran with 800 and topped off with the VP 94 and K2. It didn't blow up with the 2 oils mixed a little.

Sounds perfectly fine to me chugging along in the mid 9000 rpm range. Close with my guess Mike?

Actually milling like this at lower rpms probably isn't as hard on a saw as running in the 11-12,500 range as a lot of ported saws do. Not saying by not knowing what you have done to your saw just saying. Yours sounds like a "diesel" under load and mine sound a lot higher rpms.

Nice work milling, that sure looks like a lot of work managing those big logs around! :)

What has that irrelevant rubbish got to do with running 20:1 in a saw designed for 50:1, it's no wonder you can't do a basic test, you seem to think you know more than formula 1 race teams. LOL
Thansk
Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean it's rubbish.
Saw design, as in cylinder coatings, ring and piston designs and materials havent really changed since the days when 32:1 or less was recomended by the saw OEM'S. So, it's rubbish saying today's saws are designed for a certain ratio..
THe fact is ratios requirements are set by load and rpm. 50:1 came into vogue as a way to limit smoke emissions while still using realativley poor quality oils.

Sounds perfectly fine to me chugging along in the mid 9000 rpm range. Close with my guess Mike?

Actually milling like this at lower rpms probably isn't as hard on a saw as running in the 11-12,500 range as a lot of ported saws do. Not saying by not knowing what you have done to your saw just saying. Yours sounds like a "diesel" under load and mine sound a lot higher rpms.

Nice work milling, that sure looks like a lot of work managing those big logs around! :)
High rpm is always harder on lubrication as it pertains to a two stroke as migration time becomes less and less. The heat of high load stresses the oil further. Given how a two cycle is lubricated I think running under 32:1 is a smart move when milling.

Ok, here is a question: Does the higher Viscosity Number of an oil have any relative effect on oil migration? Meaning does oil migrate faster or slower the lighter or heavier the weight of the oil is in a two stroke pre-mix application?

It's 9500 or so for the most part. The chain was a full skip square ground from slinger. The saw has finger ports on a D shaped cylinder with no machine work. I've been lazy and not pulled it down to cut it any.

The longer cut times is the harder part. Those were short for most of the cuts. I got all 4 sides on one tank. It was almost dry when I picked it up to take the mill off. I wish I had video of the cherry that took 2 tanks per cut in with the 390.

I set that one up by hand. I use a 2.5 ton floor jack a lot of the time to set them up on a slope like that. If I get the chain just right the weight of the saw will feed it in and all I have to do is hold the trigger.

Ok, here is a question: Does the higher Viscosity Number of an oil have any relative effect on oil migration? Meaning does oil migrate faster or slower the lighter or heavier the weight of the oil is in a two stroke pre-mix application?
Not sure on that. The migration study I saw wasn't a comparison.
At face value I would say viscosity has minimal to no effect, but that's just a gut guess.

Back