661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tree-dwelling-goats.jpg

ISIS guard dogs?

I think my 660 gets the most use of my collection ,even if it is a weekend warrior saw . It is full use on the mill .There is not a tree around here a 440 wont cut so no need to pack the extra weight around for falling and bucking .
How many gallons of 2-cycle oil do you use in a year?

How many gallons of 2-cycle oil do you use in a year?
Between all my stuff maybe 75 or more ,no where near what a guy doing it for a living would use ,in a couple hours of milling i can use a gallon or more

True, the ones I know use the cheapest gas (87 octane with ethanol) and use the Stihl orange bottle or ultra. They say, "as long as it works thats all that matters".
Stihl oil is way to expensive for this guy. And really for him saws are a cheap piece of disposable equipement that only needs to last a few years tops.

Thats a lot in my book.
I asked a couple fallers how long their saws last ,50 to 1 stihl mix they run them for about a year ,by then they are getting beat up so they get a new one ,and make that the back up saw ,by year 2 they are parts saws or sold to firewood guys ,
these guys cut 6 hour days 5 days a week ,only time off is if too hot out and shut down ,or between jobs when moving equipment

I burn through about ten gallons on average a week in my MX bikes and maybe 5 a month in the saws, and BP blower. I am using less fuel in the OPE now as both my primary saw (562xp) and BP blower (Redmax 8000) are strato charged.
When i was racing would use 5-10 gallons a week in the quad ,it was maxima 927 though ,on a dune trip i would burn over 5 gallons a day ,the sand really sucks power and fuel compared to dirt .

I asked a couple fallers how long their saws last ,50 to 1 stihl mix they run them for about a year ,by then they are getting beat up so they get a new one ,and make that the back up saw ,by year 2 they are parts saws or sold to firewood guys ,
these guys cut 6 hour days 5 days a week ,only time off is if too hot out and shut down ,or between jobs when moving equipment
Do they shut down for spring break up out your way?

When i was racing would use 5-10 gallons a week in the quad ,it was maxima 927 though ,on a dune trip i would burn over 5 gallons a day ,the sand really sucks power and fuel compared to dirt .
Its almost all sand up here most of the places we ride so you burn up a ton of fuel. Plus a 250 mx bike wrung out doesn't exactly sip fuel.

Do they shut down for spring break up out your way?
no,only time they shut down is if they are told to for fire danger ,they run 5 days a week ,if the mills are open on sat they will run trucks if price is good ,here is the scale shacks i pass in the am on the way to work ,there is a mill across the street from the scales ,sometimes trucks are lined up both sides of highway waiting to get in ,guys in trucks normally get up at 3 am and drop off first load at 6-7 am ,then get 2 more loads before go home .log scales 002.JPG log scales 004.JPG log scales 005.JPG

I might add that this is the first time I have seen a OPE market an ashless oil for air cooled equipment.
Stihl might have been smart to have talked to some other OEM's like the snowmobile and jetski makers that went down the same road with poor results in the early 90's

I might add that this is the first time I have seen a OPE market an ashless oil for air cooled equipment.
Stihl might have been smart to have talked to some other OEM's like the snowmobile and jetski makers that went down the same road with poor results in the early 90's
Now you can go around saying that ashless oil is recommended by a OEM, no excuses needed then for living in the past.

Back