661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep going you abusing & bulling people that don't agree with you or present a logical counter argument, it just reinforces who & what you really aren't much of, needing to resort to that kind of behaviour, it doesn't really bother me what someone wants to call me to get their jollies or because they have no social skills, just don't ever call me late for dinner.
So redbull has been using stihl ultra ashless that you never knew existed until a week or so ago, now where can this retrospective BS story go from here i wonder? just think of it, now he could think about engaging a ambulance chaser to pursue the manufacturer for fraudulent claims about a product that doesn't perform as claimed. Or you could attempt a class action if you had any buddies, which isn't very likely . LOL
Logical? Hardly.
I used Ultra that I got for a free with a saw years ago. I never researched it much.
The rest of your rant is rich and merits no response.

Has anyone been able to find the MSDS for honda hp2?

This is the only one I could find. It's from oct 2009.

Visc @100c = 17.6
flash point = 228F

http://products.petrochoice.com/sys...ynthetic_20Racing_20Oil_20Case.pdf?1436283423

edit - joined that site kenjax mentioned and downloaded the 2012 msds - see attached to this post.

Did you notice any difference in exhaust smell between the 3 brands ?

mobil 1 seems to have the least smell.
motul isn't bad
h1r kinda smells good to me lol

Attachments

• sds.PDF
    71.1 KB · Views: 7
i have returned to burning echo/shindaiwa red armor oil at 50:1 i forget how clean burning this oil really is.
COMPONENTS
Polybutene
Proprietary ester
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated
light
Highly-refined petroleum lubricant
oils
Hydrocarbyl amine Proprietary Polymer
alkyl imidazoline Proprietary
Alkarylamine
Solvent naphtha, petroleum,

Redbull , do you plan on running the Motul 800 more ? , 2 tanks isn't really going to give a result .
I've got a jug mixed but am waiting to get out and help a fellow when he gets to clearing and bucking in a few weeks . I'll run the Motul in one saw and my usual Saber mix in my other .
Saber will be at my usual 40:1 and the 800 at 45:1 since it's a stouter mix .

yeah I ran it in another 661 quite a bit more but didn't have time to take that one apart.

Re: motul 800 off road

I like it a lot.

- very similar formulation to ultra but better quality. ie. all ester syn and additive package. very simple. like h1r & ultra

- seems to burn/run very very clean, While I got the sense that h1r burned somewhat brown. I didn't see anything when I took the saw apart...infact it looked really really good. If there was a problem, I would imagine something would of been starting after 27 tanks...and I seriously doubt 2 tanks of 800 could erase any problems that h1r caused.

- that said I don't care for how finicky h1r is with the oil ratios. It's super slow at 32:1 ok at 40-42:1 and good at 45-50:1. From what I can tell the temp outside and how hot you are running the saw requires an adjustment in the ratio to maintain max performance. Sooo the fact that motul 800 could be run at 32:1 and only be 1 sec slower than 45:1 is pretty nice. Hence I simply split the difference and I've been running 800 at 40:1.

- but that doesn't rule out that h1r couldn't be run at a higher ratio and give the same protection. Regardless of what the visc numbers say it's a very thick oil. And for 27 tanks it was run at 42-45:1...mostly 45:1. Insides look great.

- 800 is good in ultra cold down to -54 or heat, h1r is as well at -46F

- I do like the high viscosity number on 800. Makes me feel warm in cozy as far as protection goes. But I don't have any doubts about H1R's ability to protect at 45:1. At least in a stock saw. The honda hp2 looks interesting with a viscosity at 17.6.

I'd like to run a ported saw for the test and Brad said he would port my saw, but has since backed out of the offer. Because the saw couldn't be dyno'd before and after. I don't see how that concerns the test but whatever...get what u pay for.

Cost wise I don't really care. I'm running a approx $1300 setup and difference between $20 quart oil and $11 quart is about .85 cents more paid per gallon mixed up. extra .85cents per gal may make a difference to a serious logging operation. But not me.

- also like that mdavelee had a lot of success milling with 800.
- 800 doesn't smell much either.

I'd like to run a ported saw for the test and Brad said he would port my saw, but has since backed out of the offer. Because the saw couldn't be dyno'd before and after. I don't see how that concerns the test but whatever...get what u pay for..

Brad backed out because you don't know how to run or load the saw properly for timed cuts, which is why Brad wanted the saw ran on a dyno. I would have backed out myself. I'm not trying to knock you down, just stating the obvious.

Brad backed out because you don't know how to run or load the saw properly for timed cuts, which is why Brad wanted the saw ran on a dyno. I would have backed out myself. I'm not trying to knock you down, just stating the obvious.

Guess he didn't have the balls to tell me that. oh well. His loss, not mine.

I've done more videoed tests then anyone on here. My tests are apples to apples...and very methodical in approach. No one else on here uses brand new chains for each new test to ensure that things are fair. My times are consistent and repeatable.

and he is one to judge my testing? his cutting of some little half rotten log with mere 4 second times to determine what muffler worked the best on his ported 661....please.

I was just looking at prices of different oils and i thought motul was pricey but stihl oil is insane .. i use husqvarna oil by the way !!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

yeah I ran it in another 661 quite a bit more but didn't have time to take that one apart.

Re: motul 800 off road

I like it a lot.

- very similar formulation to ultra but better quality. ie. all ester syn and additive package. very simple. like h1r & ultra

- seems to burn/run very very clean, While I got the sense that h1r burned somewhat brown. I didn't see anything when I took the saw apart...infact it looked really really good. If there was a problem, I would imagine something would of been starting after 27 tanks...and I seriously doubt 2 tanks of 800 could erase any problems that h1r caused.

- that said I don't care for how finicky h1r is with the oil ratios. It's super slow at 32:1 ok at 40-42:1 and good at 45-50:1. From what I can tell the temp outside and how hot you are running the saw requires an adjustment in the ratio to maintain max performance. Sooo the fact that motul 800 could be run at 32:1 and only be 1 sec slower than 45:1 is pretty nice. Hence I simply split the difference and I've been running 800 at 40:1.

- but that doesn't rule out that h1r couldn't be run at a higher ratio and give the same protection. Regardless of what the visc numbers say it's a very thick oil. And for 27 tanks it was run at 42-45:1...mostly 45:1. Insides look great.

- 800 is good in ultra cold down to -54 or heat, h1r is as well at -46F

- I do like the high viscosity number on 800. Makes me feel warm in cozy as far as protection goes. But I don't have any doubts about H1R's ability to protect at 45:1. At least in a stock saw. The honda hp2 looks interesting with a viscosity at 17.6.

I'd like to run a ported saw for the test and Brad said he would port my saw, but has since backed out of the offer. Because the saw couldn't be dyno'd before and after. I don't see how that concerns the test but whatever...get what u pay for.

Cost wise I don't really care. I'm running a approx $1300 setup and difference between $20 quart oil and $11 quart is about .85 cents more paid per gallon mixed up. extra .85cents per gal may make a difference to a serious logging operation. But not me.

- also like that mdavelee had a lot of success milling with 800.
- 800 doesn't smell much either.
I think it would be a mistake to say 800 is like ultra or H1R.
In regards to your motul times at 32 and 45:1. If my memory is correct the times were essentially a dead heat?

why would you say it's a mistake to say 800 is like ultra or h1r?

they are all around 80-90% ester + 10-20% additive package. Nothing else going on with them as far as the ingredients per the MSDS's.

800 - 32:1 was approx 1-1.5 sec slower than 800 45:1. That said H1R 32:1 was 7 seconds slower than H1R 50:1.

The esters are different, as your testing has shown. Kinda like saying well water, distilled water and sea water are all the same because they contain water.
Care to repost the times as I can't find them now?

I don't have em anymore. I just remember the difference.

45:1 h1r was same as 45:1 800. 32:1 800 was slower by 1 or 1.5 sec than 45:1 800.

Another interesting thing was when i ran 45:1 800 vs 45:1 h1r it was a colder day. 45:1 800 sounded good.

But when I did the test between 32:1 800 and 45:1 800 on a entirely different day when it was HOT like 95F out...45:1 was faster by the 1.-1.5 sec but didn't sound as good as 32:1. AND didn't sound as good as 45:1 800 did on the colder day.

POINT - I'd almost have to suspect that at least with the mtronics the outside temp affects the oil ratio. Obviously you could tune around that with regular adjustable carb. That said I went to 40:1 on the 800 and have been running that.

I don't have em anymore. I just remember the difference.

45:1 h1r was same as 45:1 800. 32:1 800 was slower by 1 or 1.5 sec than 45:1 800.

Another interesting thing was when i ran 45:1 800 vs 45:1 h1r it was a colder day. 45:1 800 sounded good.

But when I did the test between 32:1 800 and 45:1 800 on a entirely different day when it was HOT like 95F out...45:1 was faster by the 1.-1.5 sec but didn't sound as good as 32:1. AND didn't sound as good as 45:1 800 did on the colder day. POINT - I'd almost have to suspect that at least with the mtronics the outside temp affects the oil ratio. Obviously you could tune around that with regular adjustable carb. That said I went to 40:1 on the 800 and have been running that.
I would say Mtronic isn't corrceting precisely. Still better than leaving carb tuning up to the average wood tick though. It's air to fuel ratio differance that are causing the things you noticed, not oil, at least as it pertains to 800.
Really I would call the results at 32 and 45 with 800 within the margin of error and essentially identical.
Not supprised on the results with H1R at all. I suspect neither are you.

only thing it could be on the H1R is that I didn't do the "reset" for each ratio change like I did with all the other oils etc.

So the very first thing I'll test in the oil test will be H1R to see if the reset makes a difference. If it doesn't then I'm thinking I won't do the reset at all , because it's a very time consuming thing to do. ie. you gotta do at least 5 cuts with it before it relearns or whatever you want to call it. And I've seen that process first hand many times now and it does relearn...it's really weird. You can feel it get faster with each of the 5 cuts after reset is performed.

Latest posts

Back