661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you need solvents...so then I'd have to ask, why doesn't the following oils have any solvents?

motul 800
maxima 927
belray H1R
Stihl Ultra

might be others I haven't check yet.

H1R build up - well maybe it shouldn't be run so heavy ie. 32:1 since it doesn't have any solvents to dilute the actual oil by volume content. You dump enough oil in a saw it's going to have build up no matter what kind of Base fluid the oil is comprised of.
How do you know none of these have solvents?

Sounds like you need solvents...so then I'd have to ask, why doesn't the following oils have any solvents?

motul 800
maxima 927
belray H1R
Stihl Ultra

might be others I haven't check yet.

H1R build up - well maybe it shouldn't be run so heavy ie. 32:1 since it doesn't have any solvents to dilute the actual oil by volume content. You dump enough oil in a saw it's going to have build up no matter what kind of Base fluid the oil is comprised of.
H1R is designed specifically for motocross bikes and those bikes are speced with a 32:1 or lower ratio. Belray actually reccomends these ratios as well. The stuff is just a dirty burning oil.

How do you know none of these have solvents?

maybe because solvents are hazardous and would be listed on the msds. regardless of how small a %.

What proof do you have that they do have solvents in them? Don't try and discount or discredit my reason as your proof. Show me the proof that they do indeed have them.

H1R is designed specifically for motocross bikes and those bikes are speced with a 32:1 or lower ratio. Belray actually reccomends these ratios as well. The stuff is just a dirty burning oil.

Funny because they told me to try several ratios and that I'd probably end up at 42:1.

Like i said earlier if pro MX teams can use 40:1 or even 50:1 in their high performance bikes so can a chainsaw.
Try 50:1 in a 390xp and see how long the bottom end lasts.

Less than an ounce of oil isn't going to make a saw run 3 seconds slower, the operator, the wood and tuning will.

Just mixed a fresh batch of K2 at 32:1 man my saws don't even make enough power to spin the chain. Maybe I need to reset the chain break.[emoji6]

maybe because solvents are hazardous and would be listed on the msds. regardless of how small a %.

What proof do you have that they do have solvents in them? Don't try and discount or discredit my reason as your proof. Show me the proof that they do indeed have them.

Funny because they told me to try several ratios and that I'd probably end up at 42:1.
Many times the solvents are listed under "performance additives" or simular verbage.
You do a fine job discrediting yourself without my help!

Try 50:1 in a 390xp and see how long the bottom end lasts.

Less than an ounce of oil isn't going to make a saw run 3 seconds slower, the operator, the wood and tuning will.

Just mixed a fresh batch of K2 at 32:1 man my saws don't even make enough power to spin the chain. Maybe I need to reset the chain break.[emoji6]
I agree on more oil Andy. I'm just saying any saws run on any of the oils in this thread are gonna run forever @ 40:1 and even most likely any oil you put in it. So debating what oil @ 32:1 is gonna blow it up is nonsense. I think tuning might play a bigger role blowing up a saw than the oil.
But again i'm up not up to snuff on all this oil stuff, just speaking from my experience.

Kenjax makes a valid point, l am yet to even hear of a catostrophic failure that can be blamed on any oil no matter what bottle it comes in. Expensive missleading overpriced oils marketed to the hearts of enthusiasts are the clear winners in this thread. Money makes the world go round!

Look at the specs on Woodland Pro Synthetic. Not too impressive looking numbers huh? Well, it protected a stock MS441 used extensively for milling with the carb limiters intact, and no muffler mod to let the heat out. There were LOTS of signs of heat, but no scoring. That'll tell you just how much we're overthinking this, myself included.

Woodland Pro synthetic- http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/wp_synthetic.pdf
performance additive = 5-12%
high flash solvent = 22-27%
base oil - synthetic = 45-57%
Blue Dye = ~ .5%
Low smoke additive = 30-40%
fuel stabilizer - less than 2%

Flash Point = 210F
Visc @ 40c = unknown
Visc @ 100c = 7.2

IMG_4769-L.jpg

IMG_4771-L.jpg

IMG_4767-L.jpg

IMG_4772-L.jpg

IMG_4774-L.jpg

IMG_4776-L.jpg

IMG_4778-L.jpg

Look at the specs on Woodland Pro Synthetic. Not too impressive looking numbers huh? Well, it protected a stock MS441 used extensively for milling with the carb limiters intact, and no muffler mod to let the heat out. There were LOTS of signs of heat, but no scoring. That'll tell you just how much we're overthinking this, myself included.

Woodland Pro synthetic- http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/wp_synthetic.pdf
performance additive = 5-12%
high flash solvent = 22-27%
base oil - synthetic = 45-57%
Blue Dye = ~ .5%
Low smoke additive = 30-40%
fuel stabilizer - less than 2%

Flash Point = 210F
Visc @ 40c = unknown
Visc @ 100c = 7.2

IMG_4769-L.jpg

IMG_4771-L.jpg

IMG_4767-L.jpg

IMG_4772-L.jpg

IMG_4774-L.jpg

IMG_4776-L.jpg

IMG_4778-L.jpg

Amen.....

So basically this is your reply.

Meanwhile...
View attachment 419468
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Marshy,
You are a funny dude. :yes:
You know, it took me about an hour to put that post together, and you shoot it down with 2 pictures. :bowdown:
My heart is broken. :wtf:

I see what you are saying, but I don't think that your way is the best way. I believe mine is ............ but that's why we have 64 colors in the large box of Crayola crayons.

You like setting your saw to what you believe is the best tune, then run whatever you want for a bar, just your preference. I used to think that way, but cutting lots of stumps made me think differently

At the end of the day, we both cut wood and have some saws to clean.
I hope your saws live a long and prosperous life, I know mine will.:cheers:

Back