661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok guys..for those who have been waiting...

Just got back, I did the oil test H1R 50:1 vs 45:1 vs 40:1 vs 32:1 with my 361. uploading the vids. there are about 40 short clips. will take a while. data is interesting for sure.

i'd post the data but the vids tell the whole story.

I'm starting the uploads... And heading back out to do some more tests. We'll see what I can get done.

Just got back, I did the oil test H1R 50:1 vs 45:1 vs 40:1 vs 32:1 with my 361. uploading the vids. there are about 40 short clips. will take a while. data is interesting for sure.

I'm starting the uploads... And heading back out to do some more tests. We'll see what I can get done.
Conclusion?

Run any tests with a ported saw 70+cc?

Conclusion?

I'm not here to make conclusions for you guys. You guys can check the data and decide for yourselves. I'm not here to prove anything either.

I'm only doing this because I want to know what is best in my saws. Since I'm already doing it, I don't mind sharing, especially if it helps others.

I'm not here to make conclusions for you guys. You guys can check the data and decide for yourselves. I'm not here to prove anything either.

I'm only doing this because I want to know what is best in my saws. Since I'm already doing it, I don't mind sharing, especially if it helps others.
True and I appreciate the testing. I'll eventually get around to testing my ported saws....59cc - 90cc's.

2.5 gallons of mix using Maxima Super M synthetic blend with solvents and petroleum oil so far and you'll never believe what happened[emoji53]

They ran, cut, and idled as they should.[emoji33]
I remember as a kid watching my Dad cut firewood with an old Homelite. The saw hardly had any paint left on it which he inherited from his Dad. His Dad was a Logger and used it logging. My Dad used the cheapest oil he could find and I don't remember any major maintenance issues with that saw. I'm not sure what brand of oil he used but it worked fine. And I'm also certain he wouldn't be spending money on ester based high viscosity oils like I am. The only 2-cycle oil I remember using as a youngster was that blue colored Belray MC1 in my Honda CR-80. The old days.

Guy at the bike shop recommended this stuff ,made not far from here ,says on teardown of some 250's they were very clean inside ,anyone ever try it ?
drill well 016.JPG

So Ron, I remember purchasing my Homelite 330, it was a "High Speed" Homelite, it did 5,000 RPMs!!!!!!!!

Never had a problem with my Homelites running, they were just slow and vibrated the crap out of you. I also had perpetual problems with their recoil starters, was always fixen em. I've never even replaced the cord on 044 #1.

I've only had 1 rope break when i pulled it and it was on my 200T. I was about 80ft off the ground in a weird position and had to start the saw between my legs and wouldn't you know it was gonna break at that time, and i ended punching myself HARD in a pretty sensitive spot:crazy2:Go ahead and laugh everyone else did that saw it.

So Ron, I remember purchasing my Homelite 330, it was a "High Speed" Homelite, it did 5,000 RPMs!!!!!!!!

Never had a problem with my Homelites running, they were just slow and vibrated the crap out of you. I also had perpetual problems with their recoil starters, was always fixen em. I've never even replaced the cord on 044 #1.
When I was a kid I never saw a Stihl or Husqvarna in my parts of the woods. I guess nobody could afford them or they weren't available in our area. I remember my Dad's Homelite was light blue in color and heavy. It also had a manual push button oiler.

Hopefully I'll get a nice 044 one day. Most Loggers I talk to say the 044 was their favorite. Going back to the cold weather conditions topic a Logger told me tonight they would use transmission fluid for bar chain oil if it was really cold.

test results with 361 + 20" tsumura + 4 new stihl RS chains

Did 4 different logs. Cut 1 was just a couple of small cuts to make sure the saw was warmed up. Cut 2 was a larger nice pice of oak. Cut 3 I put load on the saw. Cut 4 was just a larger willow...soft. Took temp measurements after each cut. Pic of spread sheet below - (times and temps)

50:1 - This was my start point. Felt so so running. Not great. But not horrible.

45:1 felt great! - minor adjustment from the 50:1 tune.

40:1 felt pretty good - minor adjustment from 45:1 tune.

32:1 was like someone flipped a switch on the saw. Night and day compared to 40:1 tune. Saw did not like it at all. idle jumped quite a bit as did the top end. Had to really fatten things out from the 40:1 tune to get it back at 2800ish and under 14k. And even then it felt weird running. Felt like it was really running hard. I would not run this saw at 32:1 H1R again...ever.

Would highly advise watching the vids as my numbers won't tell the whole story. And I'm interested in getting thoughts/opinions.

2hi2zyf.jpg

50:1 Tune

50:1 cuts and temps

45:1 tune - tune is showing what the saw does by just changing the gas (yes I ran the saw for a bit to get the new mix in the system)

45:1 cuts and temps

40:1 tune - tune is showing what the saw does by just changing the gas (yes I ran the saw for a bit to get the new mix in the system)

40:1 cuts and temps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvf_e-l1GV0

32:1 Tune - tune is showing what the saw does by just changing the gas (yes I ran the saw for a bit to get the new mix in the system...could definitely tell a difference right away with the 32:1...saw just started racing bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iMpBD0ymjc

32:1 cuts and temps -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsHhGshfhPc

I run stock and ported saws.

Will you guys just tell me what the nice all around number is so i dont have to mix different cans.

Thanks.
40:1 to 32:1. If I had to make a guess on these last test Id say the 660 jetting was spot on for best performance @ 45:1 with the tune Redbull set to

Latest posts

Back