661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a total of 10 cuts for each setup, I timed the cuts, and took temp readings. The last 4 cuts were long and I did them back to back with out any idle time.

The times were very close for about the first 5-6 cuts (even or with in half a sec). After that the wider weave arrestor screen times got faster by on avg by about 1.5-2 seconds.

The interesting part is ..............
that the m-tronic takes time to dial itself in ......................
Its been stated several times that it takes a few long cuts for the 661 to find its best tune ..................:innocent:

I have not seen a VOA for K2. Motul 800 dies have sky high mettalic content for both versions from the VOA'S I have seen.

..............Maxima........Mobil1.......Motorex........Motul

Iron...............0...............1...............0............0
Tin................0...............0...............0............57
Silicon............0...............0...............0............2
Sodium...........0...............1...............1............3
Titanium.........1...............6...............6............0
Potassium........0...............0...............0............1
Boron.............1...............3...............0............2
Magnesium.......1..............1...............2............2
Calcium.........462.............481............486.........651
Barium............2...............2..............2............1
Phosphorus.......3..............19..............6............62
Zinc...............2..............24..............5............65

Water (IR)...... < 0.1.........< 0.1%.........0.1..........0.1
VIS @ 100C ..... 9.6 cSt......14.3...........12.6.........18.0
TAN..............0.15..........0.49...........0.60.........0.53

What is the measurement here? Grams? Is this alot of zinc or not?

..............Maxima........Mobil1.......Motorex........Motul

Iron...............0...............1...............0............0
Tin................0...............0...............0............57
Silicon............0...............0...............0............2
Sodium...........0...............1...............1............3
Titanium.........1...............6...............6............0
Potassium........0...............0...............0............1
Boron.............1...............3...............0............2
Magnesium.......1..............1...............2............2
Calcium.........462.............481............486.........651
Barium............2...............2..............2............1
Phosphorus.......3..............19..............6............62
Zinc...............2..............24..............5............65

Water (IR)...... < 0.1.........< 0.1%.........0.1..........0.1
VIS @ 100C ..... 9.6 cSt......14.3...........12.6.........18.0
TAN..............0.15..........0.49...........0.60.........0.53

What is the measurement here? Grams? Is this alot of zinc or not?
PPM. And that's a ton.

Hell it looks healthier than most food i eat....look at the good vitamins and minerals in there. Low sodium too.

Maybe its not ethanol plugging fuel lines and carbs, maybe its unhealthy oil kinda like how bad food plugs your heart and arteries.

Now we're gonna select an oil based on nutritional valve[emoji23]

Were there solvents in the bar oil? Because solvents don't lubricate so that could contribute to a hotter bar and cause a little drag and make the motor work harder and build more heat, maybe see if you can modify the oiler a little, you're not getting as much oil as you think.

1. that would be true!
2. your smart azz/azzhole comment reminds me of my 12yr old son. Grow up.

Red bull It's a full moon, it tends to affect some in peculiar ways, keep up the good work busting old wives tale myths. We are yet to see anyone else test any other saws on the original range of ratio changes to see the results.
Thansk

RE: TCW3 marine oils. Back in the 90's snowmobiles OEM's reccomended their sleds be an on tcw3 oils. They worked ok, but we're a little dirty depending on the oil. Output began to really climb and exhaust port height modifying valves became common place so the OEM'S changed to low ash, API TC type oils.
In 1996 IIRC I had a polaris 440 race sled that was the first polaris motor with exhaust valves. Using Phillips injex, which was a decent quality outboard oil, the exhaust valves seized within 500 miles. When I removed them I noted the pistons looked terrible too. Ever since this I have not run a tcw3 oil in anything other than an outboard and even then am quit picky on what oil I use. The only exception is Lawnboy mowers which really require a ashless tcw3 type oil.

661 with 800 2T Off Road @ 32:1 and no muffler cover at all....just for kicks :) It actually picked up a second in the cut without the muffler cover. 661s like to breathe! BTW, I'm going back in for more engine mods soon:rock:

I'm pushing inn the saw HARD in this cut. That's where it makes it's fastest cut times.

Hey guys, I was doing any unrelated test yesterday and found something interesting...

I was testing more 661 muffler combo's. I was trying to see if there was a difference in performance between the factory spark screen vs the after mkt wider weave I usually use.

I did a total of 10 cuts for each setup, I timed the cuts, and took temp readings. The last 4 cuts were long and I did them back to back with out any idle time.

The times were very close for about the first 5-6 cuts (even or with in half a sec). After that the wider weave arrestor screen times got faster by on avg by about 1.5-2 seconds.

The interesting part is the temp readings were about the same (A little higher with the stock screen on avg about 5-7 F ) But on the final reading after I had pushed the saw on those final 4 cuts ...

stock screen - 385 F
wider weave screen - 364 F

This seems significant to me because,

We were talking earlier in the thread maybe 10-20 pages ago, about ported saw needing more oil -vs- stock saw, because the ported saw ran hotter, due to the increased rpm's and thus oil migration. btw - does anyone know what the difference in temp is between a stock saw and a ported saw?

I have also found there was a nice difference in Cyl/Jug temp depending on the bar you used...

24" bar comparison - http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...parison-stihl-cannon-tsumura-sugihara.276432/
36" bar comparison - http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/36-bar-comparison.273078/
32" bar comparison - http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/32-detailed-bar-comparison-video.267253/
28" bar comparison - http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...n-stihl-cannon-total-tsumura-sugihara.276353/

20" bar comparison in this post - http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-cannon-tsumura-sugihara.276432/#post-5282641

The more holes / bigger ports you can put in the muffler ,the more heat that will escape,i bet if you put a good sized port on the lh side of the muffler ,screen size would not make as much a difference ,my triple ports have stock screens ,i have plenty of flow .

[/QUOTE]

I pitch them right away.

On my stihls in softwoods i would be worried about filling the muffler with chips ,or have some creepy crawley cridder crawl in there and make a home ,when i am cutting softwoods ,i can see chips hammering the front of my saw ,i know the exhaust should push them out when running ,but flipping over to refuel ,i see crap fall on the screens a lot ,i have side exhaust ports though ,a top one like a husky may be different .[/QUOTE]

The more holes / bigger ports you can put in the muffler ,the more heat that will escape,i bet if you put a good sized port on the lh side of the muffler ,screen size would not make as much a difference ,my triple ports have stock screens ,i have plenty of flow .

On my stihls in softwoods i would be worried about filling the muffler with chips ,or have some creepy crawley cridder crawl in there and make a home ,when i am cutting softwoods ,i can see chips hammering the front of my saw ,i know the exhaust should push them out when running ,but flipping over to refuel ,i see crap fall on the screens a lot ,i have side exhaust ports though ,a top one like a husky may be different .

yeah I also had a larger port with the wide weave arrestor screen. It was slower then the .875" with wide weave. When I put in a stock screen into the "larger port" it gained a lot of ground on the .875" wide weave. Seems you Can let out too much. So I'd say there is a happy medium.

On a 661 stock saw that medium seems to be having the wide weave screen with a port at ~.875"-.900" If u wanna run the stock arrestor screen then you'd need to make the port just a bit bigger yet.

Depending on how the temps are being taken there will be a good bit of variety with any change made.

I think the belief is that a modified saw will run "cooler" but could benefit from more oil because of the increase in various stresses, mostly bearings. If somebody " modified" one of my saws(made it louder) and made it run measurablely hotter at the same time I would not be pleased.

Get a temp for the saw at idle and then from as screaming hot as you are willing to get it, then compare how long it takes to cool back down to idle temp, with the spark screen change. Screaming hot, not warmed nicely, make sure to leave just enough fuel in the tank to allow for the saw to cool back down to idle.

Depending on how the temps are being taken there will be a good bit of variety with any change made.

I think the belief is that a modified saw will run "cooler" but could benefit from more oil because of the increase in various stresses, mostly bearings. If somebody " modified" one of my saws(made it louder) and made it run measurablely hotter at the same time I would not be pleased.

Get a temp for the saw at idle and then from as screaming hot as you are willing to get it compare how long it takes to cool back down to idle temp, with the spark screen change. Screaming hot, not warmed nicely, make sure to leave just enough fuel in the tank to allow for the saw to cool back down to idle.

at idle - in the 200s.

yes the temps vary. I pick a spot and hold the until on the bar to steady things. I take hte average of all the readings to get one number.

the stock screen was 383-394 F 394 F is the highest temp I've ever taken. 387 F was the avg.

Latest posts

Back