661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be keeping a watchfull eye ............... but I have to tell you that my origional stumping saw that was ran at 5oz per gallon has been in use for over 20 years now and has well over 2000 hours .....................I dont see what you are describing in that one either yet, but I will look more vigilantly now that you have educated me. How many hours use should I expect to put on the saw before I start to see what you are warning me of , that stumpin saw still has origional piston, cylinder, rings, and muffler.................. :chainsaw:

I will be keeping a watchfull eye ............... but I have to tell you that my origional stumping saw that was ran at 5oz per gallon has been in use for over 20 years now and has well over 2000 hours .....................I dont see what you are describing in that one either yet, but I will look more vigilantly now that you have educated me. How many hours use should I expect to put on the saw before I start to see what you are warning me of , that stumpin saw still has origional piston, cylinder, rings, and muffler.................. :chainsaw:
You don't see it because it's not reality..

"Carbon-rich fuels are more difficult to burn and have combustion characteristics which lead to the formation of soot and carbon deposits. Since carbon deposits are a major source of abrasive wear, The type of carbon also can affect abrasive wear. "

Common sense 101 really. Double the oil, double the carbon going through the top end of the engine.

"Carbon-rich fuels are more difficult to burn and have combustion characteristics which lead to the formation of soot and carbon deposits. Since carbon deposits are a major source of abrasive wear, The type of carbon also can affect abrasive wear. "

Common sense 101 really. Double the oil, double the carbon going through the top end of the engine.
Two cycles ran on good oil have cleaner combustion chambers than four cycle engines in many cases. Of course this doesn't apply to you given your endorsement of using boat oil and diesel fuel as air cooled two cycle lubes..
Your common sense is only common with the other village idiots.

I haven't seen carbon being an abrasive in an engine causing actual wear before unless the rings are worn and blow by is allowing it into the cylinder . At that point an engine is worn out anyway .
Yes clean it better but so is enough lube , 40:1 is a good mix.... maybe a bit more for milling .

Come on bwalker .............. 2000+ hours just aint enough run time to see whats being warned of. I am sure that by the time that saw hits 10,000 hours there might be some "added wear caused by the abrasive byproducts which comes with burning more oil than necessary, excessive oil consumption in engines causes premature piston, bore & ring wear"

Two cycles ran on good oil have cleaner combustion chambers than four cycle engines in many cases. Of course this doesn't apply to you given your endorsement of using boat oil and diesel fuel as air cooled two cycle lubes..
Your common sense is only common with the other village idiots.
From the pictures you've shown you should probably hunt around & try & find some of that elusive oil then, try looking in another town for some, while you're away you will be only temporarily raising your village IQ. LOL

Come on bwalker .............. 2000+ hours just aint enough run time to see whats being warned of. I am sure that by the time that saw hits 10,000 hours there might be some "added wear caused by the abrasive byproducts which comes with burning more oil than necessary, excessive oil consumption in engines causes premature piston, bore & ring wear"
Speaking of well worn, I've still got my old grandfathers felling axe which I still use today, it's had dozens apon dozens of handles in it & its worn out 5 heads!
Tansk

Speaking of well worn, I've still got my old grandfathers felling axe which I still use today, it's had dozens apon dozens of handles in it & its worn out 5 heads!
Tansk
I see what you did here .............. as it might be working for you in other areas of your life, deflection dont work on me
As previousely stated, the origional piston, rings, and cylinder are still on this saw

From the pictures you've shown you should probably hunt around & try & find some of that elusive oil then, try looking in another town for some, while you're away you will be only temporarily raising your village IQ. LOL
If you knew what the hell your talking about you would realize the pics I posted looked pretty good. Of course you dont and that's very apparent.

I see what you did here .............. as it might be working for you in other areas of your life, deflection dont work on me
As previousely stated, the origional piston, rings, and cylinder are still on this saw
I was just humouring your post, all three of us will be pensioned off well & truely when your saw reaches 10,000 hrs, that's you, me & the saw.
Ta

what hasn't been discussed is the added wear caused by the abrasive byproducts which comes with burning more oil than necessary, excessive oil consumption in engines causes premature piston, bore & ring wear, sure the bottom end will love the extra oil but its not an even trade off.
ta

I don't thing you're going to see anything abnormal looking in the bore early on in the life of a saw, cumulative wear takes time.

I was just humouring your post, all three of us will be pensioned off well & truely when your saw reaches 10,000 hrs, that's you, me & the saw.
Ta

Happy to have helped you change your mind !:cheers:

If you knew what the hell your talking about you would realize the pics I posted looked pretty good. Of course you dont and that's very apparent.
Is it just me, or is it a bit strange that you show one of your Pistons with a top caked in erupting flaking carbon with your pet oil & claim that it's ok, then beforehand someone shows a piston top with a non erupting or flaking carbon buildup of an oil you don't like & it's rubbish! How about a reasonable explaination for what seems to be a unreasonable bias?

:laugh:
Well, I am on 2k and counting
How did you estimate that number?
Just crunching a few numbers I come out with this, say 15 minutes for a litre of fuel,
1 hour equals 4 litres of fuel X 2000 hrs = 8000 litres of fuel used
20 years X 220 work days a year = 4400 days
8000 ltrs / 4400 days = 1.82 litres every work day a year for 20 years
Or 400 litres of fuel used a year
Or 16 litres of oil used a year at 25:1 ratio

Is it just me, or is it a bit strange that you show one of your Pistons with a top caked in erupting flaking carbon with your pet oil & claim that it's ok, then beforehand someone shows a piston top with a non erupting or flaking carbon buildup of an oil you don't like & it's rubbish! How about a reasonable explaination for what seems to be unreasonable bias?
I dont think walker ever said hes overly fussed with motul. K2 and yamaha he prefers for what hes using it for....

How did you estimate that number?
Believe it or not, I am an Engineer .......... an anal one at that !
I get about 15 minutes cutting from a tank, add idle time and round down to about 20 minutes each tank
I have been keeping track of how many tanks I use each time I use it since I purchased it new, on the side of one of my toolboxes.
Easy to add all the groups of five ......... have 2 full columns of 3000 ticks, 3rd column has just under 700 ticks

Believe it or not, I am an Engineer .......... an anal one at that !
I get about 15 minutes cutting from a tank, add idle time and round down to about 20 minutes each tank
I have been keeping track of how many tanks I use each time I use it since I purchased it new, on the side of one of my toolboxes.
Easy to add all the groups of five ......... have 2 full columns of 3000 ticks, 3rd column has just under 700 ticks
I'd like to see a picture of that toolbox!
Fanks

Latest posts

Back