7 or 8 pin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
just ordered the 36" bar for the 066 from the dealer. im getting soem other parts for the saw too. so should i get a 7 or 8 pin for the 36"? also if i get the 38 pin should i go 1 extra dl on the chain?

No need to change the chain length, but I would stick with a 7 pin if you plan on using all 36" of that bar.

7-pin if you plan on milling big wood with it, 8-pin for firewood/bucking shouldn't be a problem. I'd say to get an extra DL or two for an 8-pin, but often with chain loops that long it's possible to get away without it, though it will probably be a bit of a chore to get the chain over the tip of the bar. My 25" is made for 7-pin and I can BARELY get it over the 8-pin I run now.

So how's that 066 treatin' you so far? I just keep going down to the basement to find something to do with my saws... Everything here's under 2'+ of snow, it'll be 2-3 months before I can use any of them for much. This winter's been one of the heaviest snowfalls in recent history here.

brad i havent really put any time on it. theres a wicked rattling noise coming from the clutch area. im ordering a new clutch and drum now. i tried the needle bearing but it didnt make a difference. i cleaned up that jb patch and got a stihl oil cap. that husky cap was leaking like a pig lol. saw starts and runs fine from what i can tell so far, other than the rattling noise. i might take it to a tree job tomorrow just to take her for a spin real fast :)

i did try it on a petrafied log i have had in yard for a while now. i couldnt believe the power that thing has.

I'm with Romeo on this. No need too get any more drive links for an 8 from a 7, but and this is a big butt, If you are gonna use the saw for milling (I'm assuming due too 36" bar) then stick with the 7 pin. Based on where you live, you muct be thinking of milling for a 36" bar? If not and your just using the saw for felling/bucking, get a 24" (28" max) and then run the 8 pin. Saw will balence better and you'll get allot more use out of it. :cheers:

I use 114DL 7pin with my 36"bar. 84DL 8pin with the 25" bar..My clutch is new still makes alot of noise,ding ding ding.:cheers:

well honestly i dont have any plans on milling as of yet. it seems i come across 4ft diameter trees more often than you would think. so basicly im getting the big bar for that. i hate passing up free wood just cuse i dont have the bar to get it. no i dont "need" it but i just wanna be prepared i guess lol.

well honestly i dont have any plans on milling as of yet. it seems i come across 4ft diameter trees more often than you would think. so basicly im getting the big bar for that. i hate passing up free wood just cuse i dont have the bar to get it. no i dont "need" it but i just wanna be prepared i guess lol.

I hear ya Husky, but I'm just saying that you don't need a 36" bar too cut the occasional 4 footer. A 24" or a 28" will do the job (from both sides) just dandy and be allot handier for all around use. Just my opinion but think it over. You'll get a heck of a lot more use out of that saw with a 24"/28" cutting that nice Conn. hardwood than hauling it around with a 36". Quite a bit cheaper too. :cheers:

just ordered the 36" bar for the 066 from the dealer. im getting soem other parts for the saw too. so should i get a 7 or 8 pin for the 36"? also if i get the 38 pin should i go 1 extra dl on the chain?
I put an 8 pin on my 460 with a new b/c was a tight fit but went ok just put the rim on at same time. figure once the chain streches a little won,t be a problem

A "pinging" noise coming from the clutch is completely normal, if that's what you're hearing. My 660 makes a lot more clutch noise than any of my Huskies do, so maybe you're just not used to it yet since you're new to the big Stihls. I think it might just be a byproduct of inboard clutches, as our 044 at work is the same way. If it's a true rattling noise though, I'm not sure. My 660 made a horrible sound like that after I first got it, because I took the clutch drum out to check it and didn't realize the bearing fell out before I put it back in, so it was extremely loose and rattled all over the place at low RPM - it was OK at high RPM because the clutch shoes held it solid.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and argue the other side of having long bars. I prefer to have two or three bar lengths for the bigger saws, because I'd rather spend the 5 minutes to swap to a larger bar than futz around making all the extra cuts needed to drop and buck a big tree with a small bar. Of course I grew up cutting a lot of 30"+ Douglas Fir firewood with only my dad's XL-12 w/20" bar, so it took us a LOT longer to get a load than it needed to. So while you may not get tons of use out of a 36" bar, it only takes a couple jobs where you need it to make you appreciate having it.

A "pinging" noise coming from the clutch is completely normal, if that's what you're hearing. My 660 makes a lot more clutch noise than any of my Huskies do, so maybe you're just not used to it yet since you're new to the big Stihls. I think it might just be a byproduct of inboard clutches, as our 044 at work is the same way. If it's a true rattling noise though, I'm not sure. My 660 made a horrible sound like that after I first got it, because I took the clutch drum out to check it and didn't realize the bearing fell out before I put it back in, so it was extremely loose and rattled all over the place at low RPM - it was OK at high RPM because the clutch shoes held it solid.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and argue the other side of having long bars. I prefer to have two or three bar lengths for the bigger saws, because I'd rather spend the 5 minutes to swap to a larger bar than futz around making all the extra cuts needed to drop and buck a big tree with a small bar. Of course I grew up cutting a lot of 30"+ Douglas Fir firewood with only my dad's XL-12 w/20" bar, so it took us a LOT longer to get a load than it needed to. So while you may not get tons of use out of a 36" bar, it only takes a couple jobs where you need it to make you appreciate having it.

I understand that logic B and it makes good sense based on where you live in BC. He's in hardwood country though and I was only thinking he'd get allot more use of that saw wearing a 24'/28" cutting all that lovely maple, beech,birch, ash, oak! He's a firewood guy so I doubt he'll be cutting much softwood :cheers:

I understand that logic B and it makes good sense based on where you live in BC. He's in hardwood country though and I was only thinking he'd get allot more use of that saw wearing a 24'/28" cutting all that lovely maple, beech,birch, ash, oak! He's a firewood guy so I doubt he'll be cutting much softwood :cheers:

Just had to throw that in my face, eh! All I have here is Birch (and other alder varieties) and Aspen as far as hardwoods go. Softwoods are all we use for firewood out here, and I cringe when I see big birch cut up to burn as they aren't all that common.

Latest posts

Back