70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run it yet OP?
I'm scheduled to pick it up today, but I plan to comment on my impressions of it sometime next week after I get to use it.

I ordered a 20" and a 24" bar for it. I really prefer a 24" bar, but the videos of European loggers make smaller bars look more nimble, so I wanted to try that also.

Does anyone know what size bar makes a 1-to-1 ratio with bar oil and fuel for the 572xp? For example, both my old 462cm and my current 661cm run out of oil and gas at the same time if I'm using a 24" bar and chain.

Any thoughts on that for the 572xp?

I find it interesting a 661 didn't cut it, something must have been off on that particular saw. Also surprised the venerable 461 wasn't in the mix somewhere, but for Husqvarna a 592 would be the ticket on the big bar wood. Me? Money where my mouth is , I have a 572 but run a 565 in the inclimate weather with a 28inch B&C in hard wood. It's not as "snappy" as my 572 or built 372 derivatives, in fact it feels sluggish at time as compared to the HTSS built saws. But it's Stock, so no warranty issues, supportable by any Husqvarna dealer anywhere as I travel, pulls the 28 just fine with a little saw operator finesse, is slightly smaller than the other options. VERY little vibration, a BIG plus for me Very fuel efficient as well. I pick based on cost and how long I can be "productive" on a given day with the saw. In any weather or situation. A 565 Just works for me. Stock. BUT in today's online boosted climate on everything has to be "spec sheet" smart or ported, it doesn't fit and those who have to have the buy the online numbers and builds won't like it at all. I would buy another and one for backup :) Prolly will. Best all around saw in my 50 plus saw stable. A Younger version of me would prolly pick something more in line with the newest saw released or porting "fad" of the day, bigger, snappier, and certainly more powerful. :)

SO in the "Action Speaks Louder Than Words" approach to explaining why, two video's ( Had posted these before, but this is a different context and relevant )

My world first, and then a "travel" job done with the 565 second. AND I'll ALWAYS take the 565 on the "travel" jobs because I can't mess around with a saw on the road. Remember I Have a 572 as well, so there is a conscious decision process here. And a Stihl 461 would fit here as well for me, love those saws too.

Traveled a few states away to get large Ash tree's down.

Glad he said skip, mynold 562xp was hands full with a 24" full comp, chisel in hard woods. Can't imagine it pulling a 28".
That's why i asked Sean , a buddy of mine has a New Stihl 400 & it pulls 28" semi skip but not in narly hardwoods . I have not ran a 562 . A fresh square ground skip tooth is really aggressive in the cut . Makes a distinct difference within chain speed . I would like to run a 562 xp against a Dolkita 6100 in hardwood .

I find it interesting a 661 didn't cut it, something must have been off on that particular saw. Also surprised the venerable 461 wasn't in the mix somewhere, but for Husqvarna a 592 would be the ticket on the big bar wood. Me? Money where my mouth is , I have a 572 but run a 565 in the inclimate weather with a 28inch B&C in hard wood.
Hey weimedog, I love my 661! But if I primarily have only a 50cc saw and a 90cc saw, I wanted something in between. The Echo CS590 that I have is primarily used by others when we do storm debris, and that means I'm almost always lugging the 661 around.

I was curious, you said you prefer the 565 on the road instead of the 572xp, why is that? I believe they are both autotune and probably similar in reliability, or is that not the case?

Thanks!

That's why i asked Sean , a buddy of mine has a New Stihl 400 & it pulls 28" semi skip but not in narly hardwoods . I have not ran a 562 . A fresh square ground skip tooth is really aggressive in the cut . Makes a distinct difference within chain speed . I would like to run a 562 xp against a Dolkita 6100 in hardwood .
Yeah I've found my 400 is very at home with a 20" and pulls a 24" very well. I did a bunch of black cherry and honey locust with the 24" bar and was impressed with it. It did much better then my 562. Anything bigger then the 24" bar I jump up to the 390xp so I haven't had an opportunity to run a larger bar on either the 562 or 400.

Hey weimedog, I love my 661! But if I primarily have only a 50cc saw and a 90cc saw, I wanted something in between. The Echo CS590 that I have is primarily used by others when we do storm debris, and that means I'm almost always lugging the 661 around.

I was curious, you said you prefer the 565 on the road instead of the 572xp, why is that? I believe they are both autotune and probably similar in reliability, or is that not the case?

Thanks!
Unless there was a std carb option I'm pretty sure they are autotune saws.

Unless there was a std carb option I'm pretty sure they are autotune s

Unless there was a std carb option I'm pretty sure they are autotune saws.
Your right Sean , the 555 & 565 are both pro grade auto tune versions , not quite xp grade , damm close though for the $$ . Both 572 & 576 xp versions were offered in Auto or Non-Auto tune version's . I had a Non Auto tune for 3 yrs . Nice saw , a little boxy & heavy but a good big timber firewood saw .

Yeah I've found my 400 is very at home with a 20" and pulls a 24" very well. I did a bunch of black cherry and honey locust with the 24" bar and was impressed with it. It did much better then my 562. Anything bigger then the 24" bar I jump up to the 390xp so I haven't had an opportunity to run a larger bar on either the 562 or 400.
Yeah 28 " better left for 70 cc & up , unless your a pulp cutter .

390 is a proven commodity along with 576 in their respective class .

390 is a proven commodity along with 576 in their class .
Actually Sean , between a MS361Stihl with muffler mod & the higher price point of the 390 Pro grade saw & either the MS400 or 565 or 555 its all about the price point & saws intended usage . If fire wood bucking is the primary use then the 361 or 555 & 565 are more than capable , as were the old MS 360' s & 460 Ranchers . Two different build of saw however both efficient within filling the woodshed . Its when you get into production felling & limbing that benefits of the higher priced MS400 562 or 572 get the nod in my opinion when a little lighter and better balance is a priority . I have seen a lot of muffler modded 361' s & 357 xp's back in the day doing a lot of dual purpose work 88 + cc Class saws 390 xp were not usual in the fire wood service around here . Out West in B.C. or Production felling out East sure lol.

Actually Sean , between a MS361Stihl with muffler mod & the higher price point of the 390 Pro grade saw & either the MS400 or 565 or 555 its all about the price point & saws intended usage . If fire wood bucking is the primary use then the 361 or 555 & 565 are more than capable , as were the old MS 360' s & 460 Ranchers . Two different build of saw however both efficient within filling the woodshed . Its when you get into production felling & limbing that benefits of the higher priced MS400 562 or 572 get the nod in my opinion when a little lighter and better balance is a priority . I have seen a lot of muffler modded 361' s & 357 xp's back in the day doing a lot of dual purpose work 88 + cc Class saws 390 xp were not usual in the fire wood service around here . Out West in B.C. or Production felling out East sure lol.
Roger that. Can't argue your point. Honestly i cut a lot of wood with my pm605 and 359 before I got newer saws.

Glad he said skip, mynold 562xp was hands full with a 24" full comp, chisel in hard woods. Can't imagine it pulling a 28".
He is cutting western softwood IIRC. Totally different game as a 60cc class saw will not pull a 24" with any kind of authority in hardwoods.

I loved the 5 Series 353 (50 cc) , 357 (58 cc) xp 359 (59 cc) & then their big brother 365 in the 70 c.c. class . I have seen a lot of 359 ported into scary hot saws !
I actually have a 365 on the shelf, it's technically not mine. No idea when the owner is going to come and get it. It's a nice all around saw, I should really run it again here soon.

Thanks!
The 555,562,565,572 were/are onl offered with Autotune. The 576 had a carb version & Autotune version, I have both v ersions of 576. Also have several 562's tweaked by me, a 572 and of course the 565.

To the question, EVBERY one wants a "number" to define bigger, badder, better. Sometimes there isn't one. The Reason is nuances, nothing that pokes me in the eye. At first It was I found myself just going for the 565 over and over, didn't really think about it. Then after a 7 month period of a brand new 572 just sitting folks kept asking "why". I boiled down to two very subtle things. The feel that it's smaller and lighter, which really it isn't that much smaller OR lighter! But because of the low top it does feel that way. And the way the power is delivered, not as snappy and a little less on top than the 572, but it pulls hard enough to run the 28. A little more "forgiving" power, might be a lower RPM and wider power band. The 572 definitely has more raw snap and power. And it's ( the 565) really fuel efficient and a little less vibration although that can simply be the statistics of manufacturing. But the one thing was I can run that 565 all day where the other saws seem to wear on me more. So I kept picking it up.... then it lived in the truck.. then it was the only saw I would run for a while until reason and the hobby bit again. So while not something I can quantify, the illogical "like/dislike" based on esoteric things pushed me to the 565. How is that :)

I find it interesting a 661 didn't cut it, something must have been off on that particular saw. Also surprised the venerable 461 wasn't in the mix somewhere, but for Husqvarna a 592 would be the ticket on the big bar wood. Me? Money where my mouth is , I have a 572 but run a 565 in the inclimate weather with a 28inch B&C in hard wood. It's not as "snappy" as my 572 or built 372 derivatives, in fact it feels sluggish at time as compared to the HTSS built saws. But it's Stock, so no warranty issues, supportable by any Husqvarna dealer anywhere as I travel, pulls the 28 just fine with a little saw operator finesse, is slightly smaller than the other options. VERY little vibration, a BIG plus for me Very fuel efficient as well. I pick based on cost and how long I can be "productive" on a given day with the saw. In any weather or situation. A 565 Just works for me. Stock. BUT in today's online boosted climate on everything has to be "spec sheet" smart or ported, it doesn't fit and those who have to have the buy the online numbers and builds won't like it at all. I would buy another and one for backup :) Prolly will. Best all around saw in my 50 plus saw stable. A Younger version of me would prolly pick something more in line with the newest saw released or porting "fad" of the day, bigger, snappier, and certainly more powerful. :)

SO in the "Action Speaks Louder Than Words" approach to explaining why, two video's ( Had posted these before, but this is a different context and relevant )

My world first, and then a "travel" job done with the 565 second. AND I'll ALWAYS take the 565 on the "travel" jobs because I can't mess around with a saw on the road. Remember I Have a 572 as well, so there is a conscious decision process here. And a Stihl 461 would fit here as well for me, love those saws too.

Traveled a few states away to get large Ash tree's down.

Just built a 460, Hyway bigbore at 54mm/82,5cc and no base gasket. I absolutely love it... but it's a nightmare to start up. I made it in purpose of milling spruce with a 20"/24" bar with an Alaskan mini mill.
I can barely pull it over one single turn without the decompression, it seems to kick back most of the times and it pulls the start handle out of my hands with such force it rips the skin of my hands in the shape of blisters.
Thats a brand new OEM Stihl MS460 crankcase to begin with, got plenty power to spare when running though...

The 555,562,565,572 were/are onl offered with Autotune. The 576 had a carb version & Autotune version, I have both v ersions of 576. Also have several 562's tweaked by me, a 572 and of course the 565.

To the question, EVBERY one wants a "number" to define bigger, badder, better. Sometimes there isn't one. The Reason is nuances, nothing that pokes me in the eye. At first It was I found myself just going for the 565 over and over, didn't really think about it. Then after a 7 month period of a brand new 572 just sitting folks kept asking "why". I boiled down to two very subtle things. The feel that it's smaller and lighter, which really it isn't that much smaller OR lighter! But because of the low top it does feel that way. And the way the power is delivered, not as snappy and a little less on top than the 572, but it pulls hard enough to run the 28. A little more "forgiving" power, might be a lower RPM and wider power band. The 572 definitely has more raw snap and power. And it's ( the 565) really fuel efficient and a little less vibration although that can simply be the statistics of manufacturing. But the one thing was I can run that 565 all day where the other saws seem to wear on me more. So I kept picking it up.... then it lived in the truck.. then it was the only saw I would run for a while until reason and the hobby bit again. So while not something I can quantify, the illogical "like/dislike" based on esoteric things pushed me to the 565. How is that :)
Sometimes how it feels in the hands is all that matters..

LAST post on this I promise! But trying to show the environment and how the smaller saw worked in a typical late fall early winter job. SO this was Last fall with that 565 so around 7 months in with that saw and at this point, realized it was the one I choose over my other saws...it was COLD and the snow started falling, but life must go on. Real time video of life with that 565 :) ALSO relevant because in this one I took down a healthy cherry with around a 30inch diameter base where I cut, had to cut the root flares off, and did the work with the 565 with a 28inch bar and chain so folks can see how it pulls that combination.

Latest posts

Back