7900 Dolmar or Makita upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPSElias

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want a bad a$$ saw have a Makita 6401 (HD Rental) it has served me very well I have gotten my money's worth out of the saw, but I want the bigger 7900 because I hear so many good things about it so I figured why not....now having 2 similar saw would be nice but I am curious should I buy another Makita and upgrade to a 7900, buy a new Dolmar 7900, or upgrade what I got?

I am mechanically inclined and have tuned R/C 2 stroker's for years so I know what the H,L and idle screws do....how ever I would need a tach to make sure that its RPMs are right....so what would you do?
savings is roughly $200.

personally i would keep the 6401 (for general purpose 18"bar action) and get a shiny new 7900 (for the bigger stuff wearing a 28"bar).

better a brand new red one, than a new one in an old blue suit...

good luck

Buy a new jug and piston

Call Tony at Amicks and order a jug and piston and base gasket. And never look back. Why keep a 64cc saw when you can have a good 79cc saw that weighs the same?
Buy the 79cc stuff.. and then buy a 5100 to replace the 6400.

+1

Call Tony at Amicks and order a jug and piston and base gasket. And never look back. Why keep a 64cc saw when you can have a good 79cc saw that weighs the same?
Buy the 79cc stuff.. and then buy a 5100 to replace the 6400.

Preach on brotha... :rock:

Well unfortunately I do/will be doing enough sawin to support a small and large saw but I would like to be able to swap bars between the 2 saws thats why I was thinking to stay in the 7900 family of saws. Intent would be to keep a 16" bar on the 6400 with the occassional 20" and keep a 20" on the 7900 with the occasssional 24"/28" bar once I get into the bigger stuff. I have an old 37cc craftsman that prolly weighs the same as the 6401 so I does not bother me to cut with it all day.

I just think that the 6401/7900 will be the best all around saws, can swap bars, and parts so I can get spares for one that will work for the other in the odd chance I have problems. but my current 6401 is a strong runner so I don't really want to tear it down.

Can never have to much power.

How often does HD sell these rental saws (6401's)? Is it on a regular basis or certain times of the year?

Are they typically abused and nearly worn out?

How do they price them?

Ask your local center

Most of them are not worn out, mine only had been rented 22 times. And those were 18 times to the same person (company). You can have the rental center give you an idea of what the saw has been through, and they can tell you if the top end was done for a lean seizure...

$205 up to $235 with 20 inch bar and new chain.

They are on sale around here all the time. We have7 HD rental centers within 20 miles of Hartford.

They are a good deal.

Jason

All good options

Well unfortunately I do/will be doing enough sawin to support a small and large saw but I would like to be able to swap bars between the 2 saws thats why I was thinking to stay in the 7900 family of saws. Intent would be to keep a 16" bar on the 6400 with the occassional 20" and keep a 20" on the 7900 with the occasssional 24"/28" bar once I get into the bigger stuff. I have an old 37cc craftsman that prolly weighs the same as the 6401 so I does not bother me to cut with it all day.

I just think that the 6401/7900 will be the best all around saws, can swap bars, and parts so I can get spares for one that will work for the other in the odd chance I have problems. but my current 6401 is a strong runner so I don't really want to tear it down.

Can never have to much power.

Lots of good advice already. But you know your needs and plans best. Your plan makes sense to me. Keep us posted.:cheers:

How much work would you think you'd be able to do with a 15 cc saw? Now, why go to such trouble to only gain an additional 15 cc's. Keep a sharp chain and you're not going to see a drastic difference. If you're just wanting to blow money, blow it on something you don't already have. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a new 6401 with the 7900 topend. It would be well worth it IMO.
I run 16"-32" on it, no need for a 6400 with the 7900 around, unless you are just wanting a back up saw.

Its for the extra 1.5 HP and the torque increase of the 79cc's plus I have a 16" and a 20" bar on the way and figure once I start clearing my back/side yard that it will come in handy to have the 20" bar on one saw and a 16" on and other so I can fell with the 20" and buck with the 16"...I know I could fell and buck with a 16" or 20" if need be but I figure this will keep me sawin longer as the chains will stay cool and sharper longer.

Sorry unfortunatly was the wrong choise of words....since I got the HD rental saw I have not been able to put it down I find things to cut now...I fear for the forest around my house.

HD will compile a list the begining of each month of what they will sell that month.

I did not get the history on my saw but I look over the two they had and the one I got looks to have less run time on it.

I have a new 6401 with the 7900 topend. It would be well worth it IMO.
I run 16"-32" on it, no need for a 6400 with the 7900 around, unless you are just wanting a back up saw.

Of course you'll say it will be worth it--you've already blown your money. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have both saws. The 7900 is a lot stronger than the 6401.

For the same weight, I agree that you should put the 7900 top end on the 6401.

Here's my plan: Use the 6401 until the top end dies, then replace the top end with 7900 gear. No need in wasting good 6401 parts b/c really, what are you going to do with that top end if you do change it out?

Of course you'll say it will be worth it--you've already blown your money.

Blown, I think not, long ways from that. Worth all $200 extra.

Space when you going to show up at a gtg so we can see your fine running saws. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back up saw would be great but its more of time efficiency instead of having down time to sharpen or change bars I just grab pull and go sawin.....

Plus I have never bought a new Saw and figured I liked the 6401 why not try its big brother. but I'm still torn maybe I will replace the topend and if I like it that much just pick up a 7900 to have a color variety, since I picked up the 6401 to see if I liked the HP/lbs/cc's of the saw thinking 12lbs might be heavy to saw with all day....and honestly my cira 1970's craftsman wore me down more....and I know the 6401 will do 90-95% of what I need it to do but I want a saw to do 110% of what I need.....did I mention I like power?

I also was thinking the same thing wait till the 6401 was weak and thats why I was like just get a 7900 and once the 6401 poops out make it a 7900 then I will have two....

My sawin season is kind of over so I am in no rush but if I rebuild I want to do it when I don't have the over whelming erg to cut all tree's down....good thing my bar is shot or I wouldn't be on the internet right now.

Man I love this site

DPSElias, go to the IND gtg thread and go near the last page and read about the 7900's I ran of the other guys at the gtg. With just a good muffler mod those things are unreal strong in hickory etc. Felt almost like a mild woods port compared to the other stock 70cc-79cc saws.

How often does HD sell these rental saws (6401's)? Is it on a regular basis or certain times of the year?

Are they typically abused and nearly worn out?

How do they price them?

They guy at the HD near me said every 3 years they get switched out, if they need it or not. The guy also said that the ones they have now, in service a year, have about 4 rentals on them each (they have 3). Mine wasn't worn out at all, still runs great, but I've only had it a season. It cost $235.
If it goes, and it is a cylinder/jug, it gives you the excuse to upgrade to the 7900!!

Cat4fun,
do you have any pictures of the muffler mod on the 7900? I haven't gotten to doing this saw(6401) yet and was wondering what other people have done so I can get an idea of what to do to mine.

Back