8 Pin on Super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asand1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I' not satisfied with the chain speed on my Homelite. With 140psi comp, will an SXLAO pull a full chain with 8 pin sprocket. I have a roller tip, 24" Windsor bar.

I own a bunch of these saws, great saw! I run 16" bars, that's it, I do know they were available up to that size but trying to pull a bigger bar and chain I would think it was already taxed at 20". They make one, but the stress may be more than she can take, premature clutch failures, overheating..

I' not satisfied with the chain speed on my Homelite. With 140psi comp, will an SXLAO pull a full chain with 8 pin sprocket. I have a roller tip, 24" Windsor bar.

You MIGHT be able to pull an 8 pin with a 16'' but that's a big MIGHT. Alot of the answer depends on what type of wood you're cutting.

The SXL is just not a big chain speed saw. If your pulling a 24'' and not bogging down too bad I would be satisfied with that myself.:cheers:

I've only cut stuff with an 18 on my 026, still havent really used this saw. I dont plan on cutting anything that i could bury the bar into. Just small diameter stuff. But who knows what i might have to block up? I'll just run the 7 pin and pack a lunch.

I have my dads super xl he bought in 1987. It has the stock drum and spur to run the chain. It run a 20" B&C for almost 20 yrs. I would say on a 24" bar I would run skip chain and it would pull good through the wood. Mine is at 136lbs of compression and with a 16" it rips through anything even using the dawg to dig in.

I've only cut stuff with an 18 on my 026, still havent really used this saw. I dont plan on cutting anything that i could bury the bar into. Just small diameter stuff. But who knows what i might have to block up? I'll just run the 7 pin and pack a lunch.

Your 7 pin will be faster on that saw, it wont be bogging as bad all the time.

I also think the 24" bar is too big for full time cutting even if it has a 7pin.

Your 7 pin will be faster on that saw, it wont be bogging as bad all the time.

I also think the 24" bar is too big for full time cutting even if it has a 7pin.

:agree2: I had a SXLAO, mine had a 20" bar on it and 148lbs of compression. In my opinion the 20" was max. They are a great saw, but not a speed demon.

Super xlao with .325 chain

Recently had an old Blue Super XL with a 16" bar, new .325 sprocket nose, with full chisel .325 chain and 8 pin rim. Had it running about 9500, and it did a fantastic job. The speed reminded me of a good running stock 028 Woodboss, except old blue had a few more decibels. :jawdrop:

4000fixed

Latest posts

Back