8 tooth 2186

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If you've ever wondered how well a stock 2186/385 will pull an eight tooth rim in hardwood, I tried it today. The answer is, not worth a hoot. It pulls it totally out of its power band and it falls on its face. Amazing what one tooth will do.
(14 % higher gearing)

Originally posted by Mike Maas
That's interesting. Was this saw modified at all? I feel the 046 runs better with an 8 tooth in hardwood.

I picked up my 046 yesterday and before I left asked the owner of the shop his opinion about putting an 8 tooth sprocket on it. He told me to leave it alone.:rolleyes: Any time I ask him any questions about adding/modifying parts, he stresses to leave it alone. Could that be so he's not liable for my mistakes, or maybe so I don't void my factory warranty?

By adding another tooth, what is the benefit? More torque? More speed?:confused:

-Mike-

I would reason a larger sprocket would tend to decrease the torque(powerhead torque would be the same but diminish quicker with increased fps chain drag)but increase chain speed.

Perhaps a shorter bar and/or smaller kerf chain would be beneficial,if it does not defeat the owners intended use for the saw.

Rick:confused:

Last edited:
What is the depth guide/ raker clearance on the chain you are using. Unless you are coming down hard on it I would think a saw tha size should swing an 8 tooth judging by my 365 Husky.

Frank

I run my MS460 with an 8 tooth and a 20'' bar and it cuts ALOT better that way in hardwood.

Thats the first thing i do when i get a new saw, put an 8 tooth on. been using them on my saws for 24 years and aint complaining yet.

I have tried 8 tooth sprockets in the past also, some times it helped a little sometimes it didn't. It didn't work in this case.

It was new Windsor chain cutting a one year off the stump Ash log with a 24" bar.

Hello Tony
Lighting strikes the same place twice.Has that hardwood been sitting in front of the saw shop for 3 years. We had 2 demonstrator 2186's in March/April after the 2 460's pistons failed. I mostly buck at the yard or landings(only because the fallers think I am a crazy falker with a 044HB that will rock their new 066's). I love the 2186 and so do the lead guys with a 7 at the stump but 8 at the yard. But in Wisconsin a 28" bar is long. Seth

Not 3 years, but ya, its a hard one. The 2186 just fell on its face with the 8 tooth. I put the 7 back on and it straightened right up. The saw had had the back handle / tank unit smashed and repaired by me. It is also possible there is another factor that I have not learned of as yet. I am waiting for feedback from the owner. He has other 2186s, so I'm sure there will be some side by side trials.

I run an 8T with 24" 3/8" on my 111S with no sweat, but then again, I could probably run a 10T.

Hi Tony, I`m also a little curious to know how this saw stacks up against the guy`s other 2186s. The 2186/385 doesn`t seem to be the strongest saw in it`s class in stock form, but you are describing weaker performance than I have seen.

Russ

Not that I'm comparing apples to apples, but...

When I switched to an 8 tooth sproket on my 385 G, I noticed that the raker depth made a big diiference. I've been running an 8 with a 32 "bar lately and I can't complain. I think if I went bigger, I'd switch back to the 7. The 8 with a 20" bar cuts like a beaver on crack.

This is a hard Ash log. There may also be some as yet undiscovered issues from the damage; That is I may not have found everything. If it does not measure up to its sister 2186s, I will hear about it.

Interesting. I just dug up this thread while doing a search. I'm surprised that a 2186 would stumble over an 8 pin. I'm running an 8 on a Husky 268 w/24 inch bar-nooo problem! I do run skip chain on everything 20" and over.

I'm going to experiment with a 9 tooth .325 sprocket that is the same size circumference as the 8 tooth 3/8 drive sprocket using a 16" bar on an 044 i'm setting it up to cut pine 8x8. Here we go any comments or opinions?

<p>Hi Sawyer<p/>
<p>I run a 9-tooth .325 on a hopped-up 044 with a 24" bar no problem. I even run standard sequence Stihl 23RS chain and it just keeps pulling and pulling.<p/>

Some of the differences that are getting mixed in here pertain to the hardness of the wood being cut. Just look at the addresses.

All I claimed in my original post was that in my particular circumstance an 8 tooth pulled the saw out of its comfortable power band. New chain, about year old Ash.

Also keep in mind that a loggers expectation of performance is different from most amatures.

Back