880 vs 3120 stock (YAEVTT)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get to run them more, so in a way smaller saws are more fun.

Since I got a couple 7900s, there is no other small saw I would rather run. In a way it took some of the fun out it.

I maintain you should get a Pro Sharp. You will wonder how you lived without it!

Unless you are redprospector and can do such an amazing handfiled square! As I sharpened up a 156 dl chain tonight in prep for war tomorrow, I was again in awe of how purty the teeth he hand files are.

My Swingarm does real good for me.....Most of the call I get is for round ground...

I bought the white after having the salmon and then went to blue......

I thnk that is a natural progression, me too. Although I will say that the salmon that Silvey ships with the grinder is far better quality than the aftermarket salmons I've seen.

Where did you buy your blue wheel? I bought a couple more blue wheels today just in case this dealer ever quits selling them. They are the only place I've found so far and I am spoiled by those wheels.

Last edited:
I thnk that is a natural progression, me too. Although I will say that the salmon that Silvey ships with the grinder is far better quality than the aftermarket salmons I've seen.

Where did you buy your blue wheel? I bought a couple more blue wheels today just in case this dealer ever quits selling them. They are the only place I've found so far and I am spoiled by them.

Madson's

M99 I think ....

I missed this thread somewhat but the discussion was quite interesting, a good read at least. Althoug Bill hasn't put the 880 really in the wood yet, I just would like to say this :

- Bill's report about his findings seem to be very honoust and his attitude towards the dealer was very fair imo, I hope he got rewarded for it. My kinda customer :clap:

- Lakeside is not only a good tech (that's what I think at least, LOL), he's a d@mn good salesman too. My kinda salesman :clap: I believe Stihl owns him a couple beers for this effort

just hope the 880 will do fine and we got a fine example how a good deal is made.

Now back to topic...

hi bill,
i only made it to page 16 before i couldn't take it anymore and just had to put my 2 cents in. i just bought a 3120 with a modded muffler and ported cylinder. i got it from mike rupley; he modded the muffler and some Dean guy did the porting. it had never been used, but i am not sure what year it is. the sticker on the bottom says it is an 07, but don't know if that is the year of manufacture. anyway, some other guy said that his doesn't do what u describe. mine doesn't either...or at least not as bad as it sounds like urs does. i'd like to have the RPM tested and see where the limiter kicks in. 9K like urs or the 12K that H claims. i mill with it and keep my chains really sharp and run a 36" bar...i do have to be getting a really good bite to stay off of the limiter. sometimes i'll just let off the throttle just a hair to keep it from "popping/hammering" like u described. but i have also bucked up wood with a 24" bar and it just blasted throught the wood without rev limiting at all. some side by side tests would be good! i'm in VA so can't help ya. i am going to get slammed for this, but here goes anyway...don't listen to the Stihl-ers. don't give up on this saw yet. maybe u have a lemon or something that can be fixed...another thought is this...this saw has sooo much power that it is only natural that it easly reaches max RPM unless ur REALLY giving it a workout. when i am cutting Locust and it limits and i back off the throttle and it is still cutting like a beast i think on the bright side...that i am going to get a lot more life out of the saw because i don;t have to run it at it's limit. don't super modded hot saws get tons of power from smaller saws, but have shortened life spans? like pulling a loaded trailer with a semi lazily pulling it's tiny load vs pulling with a ford ranger screaming all the way, pushed to it's limit. i'm trying to rationalize u out of ur disappointment with the saw...maybe so i don't feel like the saw i have is inferior to the S-word 880. i may catch a lot of shyt for this too, but germany started 2 world wars. what has peace loving sweden ever done? -nick

Ok...Having followed this thread...

here is what I want to put it to bed...

A Video of Bill cutting a big mo--f-----er tree with the 880
and at the end him to have a big smile on his face!!!!

hi bill,
i only made it to page 16 before i couldn't take it anymore and just had to put my 2 cents in. i just bought a 3120 with a modded muffler and ported cylinder. i got it from mike rupley; he modded the muffler and some Dean guy did the porting. it had never been used, but i am not sure what year it is. the sticker on the bottom says it is an 07, but don't know if that is the year of manufacture. anyway, some other guy said that his doesn't do what u describe. mine doesn't either...or at least not as bad as it sounds like urs does. i'd like to have the RPM tested and see where the limiter kicks in. 9K like urs or the 12K that H claims. i mill with it and keep my chains really sharp and run a 36" bar...i do have to be getting a really good bite to stay off of the limiter. sometimes i'll just let off the throttle just a hair to keep it from "popping/hammering" like u described. but i have also bucked up wood with a 24" bar and it just blasted throught the wood without rev limiting at all. some side by side tests would be good! i'm in VA so can't help ya. i am going to get slammed for this, but here goes anyway...don't listen to the Stihl-ers. don't give up on this saw yet. maybe u have a lemon or something that can be fixed...another thought is this...this saw has sooo much power that it is only natural that it easly reaches max RPM unless ur REALLY giving it a workout. when i am cutting Locust and it limits and i back off the throttle and it is still cutting like a beast i think on the bright side...that i am going to get a lot more life out of the saw because i don;t have to run it at it's limit. don't super modded hot saws get tons of power from smaller saws, but have shortened life spans? like pulling a loaded trailer with a semi lazily pulling it's tiny load vs pulling with a ford ranger screaming all the way, pushed to it's limit. i'm trying to rationalize u out of ur disappointment with the saw...maybe so i don't feel like the saw i have is inferior to the S-word 880. i may catch a lot of shyt for this too, but germany started 2 world wars. what has peace loving sweden ever done? -nick

You need to back to page 16 and read on. :cheers:

hi bill,

Yep, read on. Since you are in Va, I don't recommend you going by Tom's. You will trade that 3120 and get the 880 also.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

hi bill,

Edit: Warning warning post is very long, and perhaps no new information. Advise the squirrely to skip this post.

I read this post just now, after starting at the bottom and reading the next few replies to this post.

I hear and understand you on a couple levels. I really haven't put the new saw to wood yet this morning (although I couldn't resist going out fairly late last night and firing it up with a long bar just for fun).

So I want to reply before I have more trigger time on the 880 and therefore I don' tneed to get sidetracked by a more detailed comparison of performance (which fundamentally is being done in pursuit of a machine for MY personal style. I have a mix of Stihl and Husky, and althought probably at least the more vocal AS members tend to have a pro Stihl bias (sorry guys) I don't think I do. (ANd I have a few dolmars in the mix as well.))

I know there are many folks (most?) that think I'm crazy (sorry Andy(s)) to even consider the non "standard" big saw the 880.

As I've said throughout this post, the 3120 is a really amazing saw. Way smooth for it's size, very civilized with great throttle response. Feels vey good and natural to me in my hands, due to motor response. Refined and sophisticated to operate (mostly).

There were two surprises for me with the saw:

The good news: I don't know if the newest version of the saw is optimzed (timing?) or not, but it is an INCREDIBLE torquemaster. From right off the throttle and then quickly up, the saw chain wants to move, regardless. That is both very nice in starting big cuts, and sustaining them. And I didn't exagerate at all when I said even with a 50 inch bar buried (both chips or noodles) it takes a non natural effort on the dogs to slow the saw. I could lean with nearly all my might and the saw wouldn't even hesitate. It is astonishing, actually.

The bad news: That extreme force is the only way to be able to utilize the power of this saw, as it is limited so low it not only eats kind of slow without this pressure, the whole time I am using it the limiters makes the saw miss/hammer away. And you are right, I could simply let off the throttle and keep the rpms below the limiter and it still had enormous torque. In fact I started to instinctively do that,and considered just doing that and accepting it. But saws aren't jetted for that, and I missed the kind of control and feedback I get with a non limited saw for a more efficient cut. And then I would grab more throttle and the hammering would begin. Not sure I am making sense here.

Bottom line for me with this saw is that if it had been rev limited say at 11,000 I would have kept it and been very happy. Or if I milled, as I think the motor along with the aux oiler would be great.

Note: I haven't run an earlier 3120, so I don't know if they have the same torque, and to me that is a 64 dollar question yet.

Anyway, I want to be clear in that my issue with the 3120 is that with compromises Husky has made to keep them from seizing, the current flavor doesn't suit MY cutting style. Give the saw full throttle, and the hammering begins.....hated that.

(Lakeside, close your ears) I was really tempted yesterday to come home with the 880 but keep the 3120 and have someone put a different coil and flywheel on it, but then it would be non rev limited which I didn't want given it has a fixed jet. I could have found someone to put in the adjustable jet, but then Ive crossed into a time and resource involvement into a saw that I don't want to do. I've already spent too much time this week on this saga.

So my disappointed with the (new one anyway) was that it was so smooth and powerful and refined, yet it drove me crazy and I didn't like using it for my work. (I already know it is way smoother than the 880.) If the earlier ones that are limited at 12,000 have the same torque curve (anyone know if the new green coils chained the timing any given they knew they were going to be force to run slow?), it is still of possible interest to me.

(Okay to open an ear or two.)

So thanks for the your feedback on the 3120, I hear you all the way. The 3120 still has some magnificent quaities that should not be lightly dismissed. And I would have really valued being able to run yours and mine side by side to see if mine was any worse than typical. I couldn't help but at least wonder if my particular ignition was limiting lower than most. I taped a tach to it during one test, though, and it seemed under certain conditions I could see 9,600 so I am guessing it was the same. Pity.

Edit: I guess I feel the need to admit that I am very demanding and particular about how tools suit me in my workflow. It's a strength and a weakness, maybe. For example, I found the way the limiter worked very distracting and therefore a bad thing. The next guy might just accept it and make the necessary adjustment in style. I only make those sort of adjustments after I've concluded I have no other choice.

Last edited:
Quit procrastinating and get out in the COLD and cut same damn wood! (I'm staying inside - warm - until the frost is melted.. if it does).

oh,.. if you had kept both saws I would have thought (or confirmed) you a nut! Heck, they would only get 10 hours each per year. I should have rented you mine, or sold you my homey 775G, or an 076AV that has your name on it lolol

Quit procrastinating and get out in the COLD and cut same damn wood! (I'm staying inside - warm - until the frost is melted.. if it does).

oh,.. if you had kept both saws I would have thought (or confirmed) you a nut! Heck, they would only get 10 hours each per year. I should have rented you mine, or sold you my homey 775G, or an 076AV that has your name on it lolol

I'll be out there within a half hour. Got one of each length chains resharpened, and one of the bars already to go. Luckily, 135 dl on the 41 ES and 156 dl on the Cannon 50 work fine, same as the Husky.

Just letting a little time go by this morning before I start shaking the world up.:chainsaw:

P.S. Confirmed. And how many lbs of iron in the form of machines have you brought home lately? ;)

Last edited:
Agreed!!!!!!!!

Actually I am kidding. My sense is that she is a pretty serious and accomplished cook. I just don't quite understand how anyone could not like cold pumpkin pie. With whipped cream if you must.

Doubled up on the Whipping Cream!!!!!! MMMmmmmm Lucious!!!!:cheers:

O.K. guys, He's gone.

someone whip up a quick poll - will he

- like it?
- not like it?
- hands tingle?
- take it back?
- buy two more Huskys to restore the universal constant?

Wasn't really sure if anyone could stand more, but I thought probably a report was in order from first day with new 880.

I don't have time to organize this posting, so it will be a bit all over the place (as usual?).

880 vs 3120 (new stock, new stock) based on working with the 880 a few tanks

No real surprises. Behaves like my 066, just more so in all ways.
Not as much difference between this saw and my 066 and 395 with say a 32 inch bar, but worlds apart with both big saws with the 50 inch.

With no limiter I immediately forgot all about that problem, until now when I'm typing. That tells the story. The 3120 limiter was an issue from the very first moment I put the saw to wood when I got home. So that issue is non existant....as expected.

yes it made my sissy hands tingle, but I cut for longer today mostly non stop than I normally would with this saw and bar. I can live with the vibration level for this type of use (not in my main saws, though).Husky is much smoother and no problem - one of the biggest differences betweens the saws - besides the limiter.
no I am not taking it back (last saw was the first saw I took back and I would never take one back again,)
Yes, I do like it
It seems to eat tanks of gas WAY faster than the 3120, not controlled comparison, though. I even checked to see if I had a leaky gas cap, nope. Very thirsty WOT with big bar buried. (Maybe it has a smaller tank, I didn't check)
Side cover is much easier to deal with than 3120
I like the adjuster and inboard clutch better with the really long bar, more straightforward.
Louder than 3120, but throatier so most will like sound better.
Both saw's chain brakes worked fine, but I prefered the way the 880 was clearly in one position or the other. The 3120 realeses in a way that doesn't really clearly snap,so I had to check sometimes if the brake was on.
The Stihls definitely has more forward room from brake to dogs for levering in really lumpy big wood. Not a big deal, but nice.

Saw started and and ran great, like all my saws.
Running it was like running any big Stihl, very predictable and satisfying. With the noise and vibration I was aware of the saw more than my other saws or the Husky, but that is simply a matter of thinking like a Stihl man and getting use to that.
It pulled the 50 inch bar nearly as well as 41, just like the Husky. That is what these saws are designed for.

Plunge cutting (had to do end grain because didn't have big enough wood on hand to do other) actually was easier (even with bellied Cannon 50 with smaller tip) on this saw because of the higher rpm than the Husky. I think I could plunge a 60 incher, although a 72 might make me a bit nervous at first....
The bar is at a slight angle to the handle which makes accurate long plunging take more attention.

Liked the new style caps (my first experience with them) okay although one time I did not seat it in all the way and luckily noticed immediately (would have leaked). The Husky has the new green washers on the caps, and I liked those as well.

I think becaue of the reinforcing ribs in the cover of the 880, where as usually Stihl clears noodles much better than a Husky, the 3120 (half wrap only, cause husky full wrap crosses below) was even more open below. Both cleared chips fine, with no edge to the Stihl in this case (I was surprised, here.)

Can't think of what else to say right now, just a kind of raw but predictable experience and I got into the groove with the saw fairly quickly. The 3120 pulled the big bar a little stronger if I was aggressive which each saw, but I felt like the 880 got stronger even over a few (quick) tanks, and it may continue to get stronger yet. That will be interesting. I normally just let the saw find it's own way through the wood, in which case the higher rpm of the 880 usually prevailed.

So I like it and look forward to putting it to work. Is it perfect for me? Nothing is,but it is the real deal. Will I ever lust for another big saw? I am not saying....

I had pics of the 3120, so here are some picsof the 880. Plunged part way in to show, all the way, and pulled out to show bar (50 inch). I don't know if you can tell by the pic where the saw is plunged in all the way, but I found that vs a standard bar, plunging this bar with the small tip and wide belly yielded mostly side grain noodles vs the usual endgrain dust. Cause the bar is not just cutting at the tip as a skinnier bar.

Last pic is the 50 inch noodle test like before, where at times I intentionally stalled the saw in the cut, to compare max load to Husky.

I also cut lots off cookies off a 38 inch stump in the back, noodled up some big oak blocks, and basically cut anything that didn't' move. When I put it down and picked up the 7900 with a 28 inch bar to get another tree to play with, the 7900 felt like a fisher price toy (in a good way).

Well, I got me an 880.:chainsaw:

http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_1.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_2.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_3.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_4.JPG

Last edited:
Wasn't really sure if anyone could stand more, but I thought probably a report was in order from first day with new 880.

I don't have time to organize this posting, so it will be a bit all over the place (as usual?).

880 vs 3120 (new stock, new stock) based on working with the 880 a few tanks

No real surprises. Behaves like my 066, just more so in all ways.
Not as much difference between this saw and my 066 and 395 with say a 32 inch bar, but worlds apart with both big saws with the 50 inch.

With no limiter I immediately forgot all about that problem, until now when I'm typing. That tells the story. The 3120 limiter was an issue from the very first moment I put the saw to wood when I got home. So that issue is non existant....as expected.

yes it made my hands tingle, but I cut for longer today mostly non stop than I normally would with this saw and bar. I can live with the vibration level for this type of use (not in my main saws, though).Husky is much smoother and no problem - one of the biggest differences betweens the saws - besides the limiter.
no I am not taking it back (last saw was the first saw I took back and I would never take one back again, I would just eat it and deal with it myself)
I do like it
It seems to eat tanks of gas WAY faster than the 3120. After that pattern, I even checked to see if I had a leaky gas cap, nope. Very thirsty WOT with big bar buried. (Maybe it has a smaller tank, I didn't check)
Side cover is much easier to deal with than 3120
I like the adjuster and inboard clutch better with the really long bar, more straightforward.
Louder than 3120, but throatier so most will like sound better.

Saw started and and ran great, like all my saws.
Running it was like running any big Stihl, very predictable and satisfying. With the noise and vibration I was aware of the saw more than my other saws or the Husky, but that is simply a matter of thinking like a Stihl man and getting use to that.
It pulled the 50 inch bar nearly as well as 41, just like the Husky. That is what these saws are designed for.

Plunge cutting (had to do end grain because didn't have big enough wood on hand to do other) actually was easier (even with bellied Cannon 50 with smaller tip) on this saw because of the higher rpm than the Husky. I think I could plunge a 60 incher, although a 72 might make me a bit nervous at first....

Liked the new style caps (my first experience with them) okay although one time I did not seat it in all the way and luckily noticed immediately (would have leaked). The Husky has the new green washers on the caps, and I liked those as well.

Can't think of what else to say right, just a kind of raw but predictable experience and I got into the groove with the saw fairly quickly. The 3120 pulled the big bar a little stronger if I was aggressive which each saw, but I felt like the 880 got stronger even over a few (quick) tanks, and it may continue to get stronger yet. That will be interesting.

So I like it and look forward to putting it to work. Is it perfect for me? Nothing is,but it is the real deal. Will I ever lust for another big saw? I am not saying....

To be fair with the 3120, here are some pics. Plunge part way in to show, all the way, and pulled out to show bar (50 inch). I don't know if you can tell by the pic where the saw is plunged in all the way, but I found that vs a standard bar, plunging this bar with the small tip and wide belly yielded mostly side grain noodles vs the usual endgrain dust. Cause the bar is not just cutting at the tip as a skinnier bar.

Also the 50 inch noodle test where at times I intentionally stalled saw, to compare max load to Husky.

I also cut lots off cookies off a 38 inch stump in the back, noodled up some big oak blocks, and basically cut anything that didn't' move. When I put it down and picked up the 7900 with a 28 inch bar to get another tree to play with, the 7900 felt like a fisher price toy (in a good way).

http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_1.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_2.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_3.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_plunge_4.JPG

Isn't the rule about plunge cuts that you need to be in the same zip code as the tree..............:cheers: :cheers:

Isn't the rule about plunge cuts that you need to be in the same zip code as the tree..............:cheers: :cheers:

I'd like to try a 72 incher some time to plunge, but if I am going to sticking it into such a skinny piece of wood then I don't want anyone watching the firsttime.

It is a fun saw, and grew on me every tank (which was not very many minutes per tank.) A MAN's saw....hehheh

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back