a big sarcastic thank you to stihl!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all the dealers in your area are horrible, why not become one and take advantage of the situation? I would much rather read a thread about doing rather than complaining...
If i had the funds i would. I cant sell a dead bird to a blind kid in a wheel chair. Only person i will screw is my wife. But not in the bad way

It is a mixed bag. I have visited a lot of Stihl dealers and most I would be happy to do business with. Everything said in this thread is right.
There are great and terrible dealers, margins are pretty tight. Markups from Stihl to distributer to dealer to customer are pretty heavily in the favor of Stihl.
If anyone needs a good dealer in central Ohio I have several I would recommend depending on what you need.
My closest dealer sees me a couple times a week and I spend a decent handful of pennys there, parts wise they know their stuff and are helpful. Sometimes refer work to me and this week sent a guy to me who wanted a minty MS200T and would have no part of their new MS201Ts :) Occasionaly they call me for NLA parts, but thier 2 cycle service guy is a rube.
Next closest dealer is Gold all the way but friendly as a Bee Sting and would rather work on dirt bike than a chainsaw.
Third in town guy is an old friend but they are worthless as a dealer, never even return e-mails or calls, even if the e-mail includes a list of hundreds of OEM parts I want to buy.
Fourth in town dealer is almost 20 minutes away and they have the largest Stihl display in the world supposedly, only been there once very recently as it looks like a little hole in the wall from the street but they were friendly and helpful and turned me onto some out of town NOS OEM mail order dealers too.
They don't paint them all with one brush, but finding a good dealer is worth the time it might take.
DDave

Nice that you think so poorly of us Stihl techs. Way to cast a poor light over us that you don't know that leads people to believe that we're all uneducated and disrespectful. If you have an issue call corporate or the distributor. Until you've been to every dealership and dealt with every distributor you shouldn't say "Stihl is lying" or "Stihl are theives". More so you should say "I've had a $hit experience with locals". But how do you expect that to change until you've notified more than a sales rep? Sales representatives sell to the dealer's they don't get paid to memorize part numbers or even repair equipment. They are trained to understand the functionality of equipment and provide a bridge between warehouse and the shelves. If you've never run a dealership you could never begin to understand the stress involved with it. The stupid little phone numbers with customer service wouldn't appease you as they employ English speaking American citizens to help you. Can't expect change until you promote change.

Nice that you think so poorly of us Stihl techs. Way to cast a poor light over us that you don't know that leads people to believe that we're all uneducated and disrespectful. If you have an issue call corporate or the distributor. Until you've been to every dealership and dealt with every distributor you shouldn't say "Stihl is lying" or "Stihl are theives". More so you should say "I've had a $hit experience with locals". But how do you expect that to change until you've notified more than a sales rep? Sales representatives sell to the dealer's they don't get paid to memorize part numbers or even repair equipment. They are trained to understand the functionality of equipment and provide a bridge between warehouse and the shelves. If you've never run a dealership you could never begin to understand the stress involved with it. The stupid little phone numbers with customer service wouldn't appease you as they employ English speaking American citizens to help you. Can't expect change until you promote change.

In my first post I specifically retracted my negative comments with regards to stihl techs on this board and others everywhere who are up to snuff.

I apologize for painting with an incredibly broad brush and you're right, obviously every stihl employee everywhere isn't terrible at their job.

This was a cumulative reaction to a series of bad experiences spanning literally years.

When I said " reps" I was using the term loosely, not actual stihl sales reps but people in the shop that represent the company. It would seem the parts manager for a dealership should know what an impulse line is, or at least be able to locate it in the computer.

I have sent a letter to.stihl detailing.my bad experiences and the specific instances and locations when and where they occurred.

I.don't understand your quote about stupid little phone numbers and american citizens but my sarcasm meter is beeping

I have run and managed small businesses from 1 man operations to retail outlets doing 60k/month on $4 items. I understand the stress of running s business but that is no excuse for employing people with no or poor technical training combined with bad customer service skills.

Again I apologize for publicly slamming a huge group based on the actions of a few but my experience has shaped my viewpoint. I've always deferred to experts when I don't know the answer but I'm also pretty damn handy and good at research. You'll find me at the dealers as little as possible, and only to buy OEM parts I can't find anywhere else.

I do enjoy going to gerlachs in cottage grove mn i wilk keep doing buis with them for parts or purchase of equipment. They wont tell you want you have to buy to do a job they ask how can i help you. Parts is no problem at all to look up and they will sling out discounts if your in often. I cant say much good about other shops check of reviews for valley lwan n sport in lakeville mn if want some good laughs

There are a lot of good dealers around - but they aren't everywhere, and people mostly notise and talk about the bad ones. ;)

The quality of dealers and techs isn't always brand specific - but Stihls brand policy regarding IPLs, manuals and part supply is, and it sucks.

The fact that I can't sit down and order the parts I want on the web or even SEE an IPL is a big reason I don't own any Stihl units. I may eventualy. Who can say?

I can understand his frustrations......my local "Rural King" (chain store similar to Tractor Supply) recently started carrying a full line of Stihl saws and trimmers.

I agree with most sales people dealing in ignorance. Most Stihl dealers I have dealt with, did not deal with me, they sold me what they wanted. I went in for a saw to go along with my 034 and figured by specs the 290 was a close match. They sold it to me, I asked if it would run a 3/8 bar. No problem was what I was told, just buy the sprocket. So a bar, chain, sprocket 3/8 pitch $120 and $399 ms290 plus tax, could have bought me a real saw, but they made more money on me this way. I didnt know better, they must have known becuase I was pretty dissapionted. I dealt with another dealer that was smaller and easy to deal with but limited hours, so I went back to the ms 290 dealer, whom we bought tractors from, who always gave me the "farmers" discount with longer hours to buy chain loops, and same loops in the same box were $2.xx more always. The tractor dealer said the smaller dealer was stupid for selling to me too cheap. Small dealer sells to big buys and its corporate all over. those guys seem to see where they can pull all the extras out and people get hosed. I hate to generalize but out of 9 dealers in my region only 2 dealers seem to want to help. I get where the anamosity comes from, not epressed as diplomatic as it should be, and it would ruffle alot of good peoples feathers, but again I get where Pual is coming from. As Paul said, thankfully we good friends at arboristsite to help us get by. No hate mail pease, pease!

Seems to me if you find the best local dealer first then buy the brand they're selling, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation. Also a few good dealers on AS if the locals are stinkers. I've got it pretty good locally with top-notch Stihl, Husky & Echo dealers w/in a 10-minute drive. Service rules.

You are very right Phil. I can not stress enough what high calibre people ono as are. Glad I found this place. Again sorry if I ruffle good peoples feathers, not my intentions.

I must be lucky. My Stihl dealer, at Hardinsburg General Store, up the road is Mininite (spelling). He became a dealer 2-3 years ago. Actually, his son does the power equipment. I ask when they first took on the Stihl line who was going to do the work ,because the boys were pretty young. He said they were going to go to school. Well, I would highly recommend anyone buying from him. Nice, friendly, and has learned a lot in a short time. I would buy a saw from him if I liked to run Stihls. When I need parts I call and tell him what I want and he has always gotten me the right thing in a few days.
Dad said the other day sometimes it takes him awhile to get one fixed and they just can't charge the customer that much.
My Husky dealer is good too. I just call them on the phone with part numbers and they call when they are in. The boy up at Hardinsburg gets parts faster than the Husky dealer.

I'm a Stihl fan and I understand. :innocent:

Every time I see the current Stihl commercial on tv, I have to chuckle a bit.

BTW.....I own a BMW motorcycle. I've dealt with BMW dealers, and there's a lot of similarities between them and Stihl.
As I was reading through this post that's exactly what I was thinking ... Even the good ones still suck for repairs . I need to get a final drive bearing on my 1200gs replaced under warranty. Trailered my bike 1:45 to a "better dealer " they told me it was a big job and it would take 2 weeks to do . I have extra bikes so I left it . Got a ride to pick it up 3 weeks later[emoji27]. Made it almost 10 miles before something in the final drive just gave out . Had it towed back and I was talking to the "master tech" that did the work and he told me that he thinks the bearing he installed was defective . I watched as he pulled it apart 'waiting for my ride home' he used all horrible freight tools. He Told me look at all the metal in the oil , the bearing failed . I said if you look the ring gear is toast. After looking at it better there was a shim missing that I found still laying on the bench . After I lost my mind on the owner over the phone he hung up on me . The manager said they would have the bike going in 4-5 weeks because they only order when they get a big order .. And he tried to tell me he is helping me out because if I didn't ride it with a bad bearing the gear would not have been damaged . After I explained to him that I'm not totally retarded he gave me a loaner bike and 2 months later I got my bike back . Never never again . I'll pay for parts and do it myself even if under a warranty

Sent from my phone when I should be working

Stihl or Husqvarna dealers around me are great. I guess it helps to live in logging country. It's been said, but contact their bosses. If that doesn't work contact corporate. You'll be helping yourself and others around you.

Stihl or Husqvarna dealers around me are great. I guess it helps to live in logging country. It's been said, but contact their bosses. If that doesn't work contact corporate. You'll be helping yourself and others around you.

I could see a dealer being a better dealer in logging country. They might even have some first-hand experience themselves.

But, take a city like Phoenix, AZ., and if you're a dealer, you are more or less just running a lawn mower shop, even though you sell chainsaws.

What's wrong with being a lawn mower shop? Most dealers are that. Dealers can't survive on chain saws alone unless you're in heavy logging country. But even then, you need serious inventory of all the logging related accessories and gear. There's more money in that than the saws.

Dealers don't need to know anything about cutting a tree. They just need to know their products and how to service them. That's why we're behind the counter, and you're in the tree. If you want expert service, more than likely it's the shop that focuses on 1 or 2 lines that's going to have it (1 mower line, 1 handheld line). Having multiple lines of the same product is just redundant and becomes more difficult to give proper service, generally.

As I was reading through this post that's exactly what I was thinking ... Even the good ones still suck for repairs . I need to get a final drive bearing on my 1200gs replaced under warranty. Trailered my bike 1:45 to a "better dealer " they told me it was a big job and it would take 2 weeks to do . I have extra bikes so I left it . Got a ride to pick it up 3 weeks later[emoji27]. Made it almost 10 miles before something in the final drive just gave out . Had it towed back and I was talking to the "master tech" that did the work and he told me that he thinks the bearing he installed was defective . I watched as he pulled it apart 'waiting for my ride home' he used all horrible freight tools. He Told me look at all the metal in the oil , the bearing failed . I said if you look the ring gear is toast. After looking at it better there was a shim missing that I found still laying on the bench . After I lost my mind on the owner over the phone he hung up on me . The manager said they would have the bike going in 4-5 weeks because they only order when they get a big order .. And he tried to tell me he is helping me out because if I didn't ride it with a bad bearing the gear would not have been damaged . After I explained to him that I'm not totally retarded he gave me a loaner bike and 2 months later I got my bike back . Never never again . I'll pay for parts and do it myself even if under a warranty

Sent from my phone when I should be working

Wow....

Latest posts

Back