A Big Skagit Yarder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this up on the hill today. Sorry for the quality, I was quite a ways away and zooooooooming. The pickup hood was my tripod.

Well, I guess I can't just post the pictures anymore. There they are and you'll have to click on them

Thanks Patty. BTW how does one pronounce Skagit?

(Is that your last name in the image tags? If soo better remove it.)

Ska you pronounce the a like magic
so it is Skajit. The g is like a J.

It is also a river in the northern part of the state. I tried to zoom in on another unit that was being cut. I could see the snow poofs as the trees went down, but the cutters must have been wearing camo. I couldn't find them with my Zoooooom. It looked like a fine and miserable day for cutting--east wind and poofing snow. They were not bucking or limbing so it wasn't too bad. I guess.

Pipe

My sympathies; we parked the pipe a couple of years ago when a Madill swing yarder on rubber came available cheap; never looked back. Harder on cable, but with one less $50k a year hooker needed....who cares?

A BIG plus is not having to keep the #%&*@ engine (and hydraulics) in that carriage running. And no more lost bells to try and find with a metal detector.

Big Skagit Yarder

Saw this up on the hill today. Sorry for the quality, I was quite a ways away and zooooooooming. The pickup hood was my tripod.

Well, I guess I can't just post the pictures anymore. There they are and you'll have to click on them

Thanks for the pics, do you happen to know the yarder? Is it a 739? or possible a BU 98? The carriage looks like a Bowman.
I've been admiring yarders for 35+ years. Thanks again, post more if you have them please.

I learned, when standing on the landing and the yarder is bringing in a turn, don't look up. Those tubes wobble all over the place and look fragile.

They really feel wobbly standing on top of the tube while bringing in a turn. Did that twice I think.
All about trying to find where and what was sawing the skyline. Wish I had a picture.

Also climbed up the inside of a Mark V Berger tube to rethread a broken telescoping line. While standing I might add. They look pretty flimsy inside where no one can see.

Apparently a logging outfit that is supposed to work this tract for us has a BU 99. Whenever they get it up and going I will try to snag a few cell pics. They'll be running a half mile across a draw and yarding out some nice ripe ~140 yr old fir. Not spindly, dense, high desert fir either.

Latest posts

Back