A couple of questions ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok I can not stand it anymore... please tell me what is the volume or weight or how would any of you describe a "cord" of wood ?

Any of you using 1/2" chain what size file do you use ?

The above post are both correct. I was alway told 3 ranks cut to 16 inch lengths stacked 4 feet high and eight feet long. 4x4x8

Does this sound right?

If you want to know the approximate cordage of your own wood pile, I guess you could multiply the 3 dimensions and then divide by 128.

so how many cords of wood is this??

244688845-XL.jpg

128 cu ft stacked is correct, most states have laws on this enforced by the division of standards, get their number of a gas pump and call to check it out.

Later,

a cord is 128 cubic feet of space filled with stacked wood. its not 128 cubic feet of sold wood. it includes bark and space between the sticks, and mouses nests etc. according to maine law a thrown cord is 180 cubic feet of 16 inch wood and 190 somthing cubic feet of 20 inch wood.

also a cord is a cord. if i sell you a cord of 8 foot wood, you cant cut and split it, then tell me i shorted you. you bought a cord of 8 foot wood and you decided to make it smaller.

the thrown cord measurements save you haveing to stack the wood to sell it. you can just measure your truck body so you know how big that is, then just let the wood fall in from a conveyor or throw it in if youre poor.

I'm guessing photo, which is too cool, was done with photoshop. I know I could do it in photoshop a lot quicker than if it was done for real! LOL!

-Mel

if my stove took 8ft logs it would be easier to figure...and save me lots of time on cuttin...but splittin would be a biotch!

Latest posts

Back