A coversation with the Sheriff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rofl

As I got older and settled down...quit breaking laws... I noticed I have begun to lose touch with my old friends. Funny how that works out.....

sheer coincidence

I know in New York they now have a law in place about transporting wood whether you buy it or not. It seems they are very concerned that diseases and bugs (Ash borers,etc.) are being spread across the state.

...This seems to be a grey area. I called the Sheriff and OSP and was told it was officer interpretation by one, and said that you only need a permit to transport harvested unprocessed forest product from public ground issued by the over seeing agency by the other...

Now for a really gray area...but not really...or is it? I have a half acre lot that has a TON of trees on it, I recently cut 2.5 cords of firewood from it just by doing a little bit of cleanup...and there is plenty more that I will be cutting in the next couple of weeks.

"A permit isn't required officer, as it is my wood from my private property..."

hummm, I dunno what to think here.

The deputy is just doing his job but we should be able to move wood a few miles down the road without jumping threw government hoops and hurdles too.

Last edited:
i saw one here in TN

we got some new billboards asking to not move firewood. ill get a picture when i remember where i saw it. had a picture of a bug on it. john t

Yesterday as a matter of fact.didn't notice a bug but I was trying to watch the road.

How's life been treating you, Ian ? Anything new your way ?

Nah, quit cutting wood early summer, have about 3 year's worth in the shed and have run out of places to put it.. LOL

I cut most of it at night out of the city park. Amazing how quiet a chainsaw can be if you just route the exhaust to a bucket of water. :greenchainsaw:

Ian

Sounds to me like in Oregon, you're GUILTY of a crime

To put this in perspective, in Oregon you are guilty of a crime if you pump your own gas.

until you can convince the dooooosh bag cops otherwise.

So, because they are doing the job we pay them to do, in enforcing the laws that are passed by the people we elect, they are douche bags?

How's that work? In a grown-up, non-spoiled-brat kind of world, I mean.

I can't find the law, but was told a few times that in Oregon, one needs a permit to HAUL any type of wood. The law is mainly to stop stealing of cedar and logs. More recently curly maple (music wood) has been added to the list.

We have a law here in the north of you that you need a permit to haul cedar and maple. It can be enforced. It was explained that if you are hauling off your own land, you go to a sheriff's office and they will have the paperwork.

I have hauled a lot of maple firewood and have not been stopped. Usually, if they see it is cut into firewood lengths, there's no need to be stopped. It is obviously not going to be sold for music wood, which may rival or have surpassed cedar when it comes to getting stolen.

I guess if they want to check you out, it makes for a good excuse.

Don't know how many of you responders know how the cedar thieving used to be, and the Tweakers now look for maples. If you see a little areas of moss hacked away on maples, that usually means somebody's been looking to steal some and checking for the indicators of it being curly grained. Maple is easier than cedar to steal because the desired size is easier to pack out of the woods.

Last edited:
Don't know how many of you responders know how the cedar thieving used to be, and the Tweakers now look for maples. If you see a little areas of moss hacked away on maples, that usually means somebody's been looking to steal some and checking for the indicators of it being curly grained. Maple is easier than cedar to steal because the desired size is easier to pack out of the woods.

Right. No gripe here, I just could not find the regulations. Public harvest regs are enforced fairly diligently around here. The harvest limits are just a little bemusing, given the dire need for thinning and fuels reduction in the forest. Seems they could figure a way to kill a couple birds with that stone.

Remember when Pacific Yew bark was the hot commodity for thieving. before a synthetic of the cancer drug Taxol was created.

Just an observation, but it seems that many of these laws are in states where liberals enjoy plenty of power and/or there are many people. I feel fortunate to live in a place that hasn't gotten to that, YET!

I just saw the other day that my county is the 16th least stressed in the nation. I knew I lived in this boring place for a reason.:hmm3grin2orange:

Just an observation, but it seems that many of these laws are in states where liberals enjoy plenty of power and/or there are many people. I feel fortunate to live in a place that hasn't gotten to that, YET!

I just saw the other day that my county is the 16th least stressed in the nation. I knew I lived in this boring place for a reason.:hmm3grin2orange:

That could very well be. Or it might be the relevance of the commodity to the region. I see your mighty Cornhuskers trashed the once (sorta briefly) mighty Huskies. :cheers:

That could very well be. Or it might be the relevance of the commodity to the region. I see your mighty Cornhuskers trashed the once (sorta briefly) mighty Huskies. :cheers:

The commodity of this county is cheap labor. We have many manufacturing plants in this county and they are doing ok, except for the one that closed.:monkey:

We are seeing people come here from many different states and so far it has been pretty good for the town. Housing market is doing well. Especially rentals.

Bad thing about the game is before hand, Locker is a Heisman candidate and possible first draft pick. Now "...he's not that good..." "He was just pressing..." LOL Pelini has got that team performing at a high level, that is for sure. I'm glad that Texas beat the double Ts, we want them to be undefeated when the come to Lincoln on Oct 16th. They have beat us like 8 out of the last 10 times and we won't be playing them after this year so hopefully we'll get a chance to beat them twice this year.:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back