A Curse or a Blessing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a long term perspective (the last 25 years), for the wages in the industry can vary widely year from year and I assumed you were much older. I don't think I know of a person who works in the bush grossing a $100k/year, even in a good year. I would guess that most would be lucky to make about half of that in the long term here in Ontario. But as you point out, you are your own boss, which some people can't put a price on. I've often felt, however, that loggers are under-paid, over-worked, and highly skilled professionals.
According to the local paper the mean salary for woods workers in WI was 37k. I don't know what that includes, but that is employees. I don't know the mean for the owner/operator. Even at what i make it still feels under paid. A typical semi load of logs pays about 600 bucks. Theres a lot of work, ugly situations, and equipment issues in every load. I typically average a load and a half a day. Two loads in better timber. When i got started i thought that would never be possible.

My point was maybe you wouldn't be making a lot less like you're thinking. 25 years ago i was in third grade. Not sure why thats relevant to what i said about last year. I cut 1.2 million board feet last year at an average of $115 per thousand board feet. After expenses i will be sitting right around that 100k. Nearly everything i own is paid for (other than the house). No i don't have a retirement fund set up yet (i don't really plan on retiring. What else would i do?), and health insurance can be a problem, but i live on my own terms. I refuse to be a fool dancing on a string. And when its my son's turn he'll be the one to hold the string.

Yah, that is what, $138k gross income? Sounds reasonable. You should start a KEOGH retirement plan though. Keep as much income untaxed as you can and invest it.

I would say the range for employees logging here in Upper Michigan is 30-60k with some benefits. Owner/operators have had a few good years lately what with fuel being down and not much in the way of production quota's.

Verso paper owns the two biggest mills here, and just filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. Hopefully they come out of it stronger and our industry continues full bore.

Latest posts

Back