a deal i am unsure about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Reaction score
was browsing the local craigslist and found a guy wanting to trade a ms660 and a ms200t for one 3120 husky. i have a couple 3120's and was seriously considering it so sent him an email requesting pics. i have way more use for a 3120 then the other 2 but i know i could flip the 2 for a nice profit but then again i could also do that with the 3120. i've never owned a 200t but have owned many 066's and wasn't all that impressed with them. has the 660 changed any from what the 066 was? i use the 3120's all the time and getting rid of one would mean i would not have back up if the one a kept had issues. if the guy gets back to me i will post pics of the 2 stihls. i am so hesitant i am almost scared. opinions on this deal would be great. if the 2 saws are in really good shape i may even be able to flip them and buy another brand new 3120 if need be. somethings telling me to not do it but i think it may be just because i haven't seen pics yet. hopefully he replies soon so the butterflies go away.

You know the condition of the saw you have now. Unless there's profit enough to cover a repair on the traded for saws I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

Listen to your gut. Its way easier to say "i could of had that deal" insted of "I got screwed on that deal"
I had a chance for a 088 stihl for 450 once but it smelled a little fishy so i got outta there.

Given the fine lineup of Husky saws in you sig, no way would I consider making this trade. Also, your gut is telling you something. Walk away from it.

Last edited:
ive this 3120 up my other one

you guys are probably right. just got home and checked email. he replied saying he will get some pics to me tomorrow afternoon. murphy's law says if i give this 3120 up my other 3120 work saw will start giving me issues. the only thing that will get me is if he sends a picture of a brand spanking new ms 660 and ms 200t. it will be hard to pass up because i could sell them if i wanted and just go buy a brand new NOS 3120. i know where there is 3 right now for $1200 just because they've been sitting on a dealer shelf for to long.

you guys are probably right. just got home and checked email. he replied saying he will get some pics to me tomorrow afternoon. murphy's law says if i give this 3120 up my other 3120 work saw will start giving me issues. the only thing that will get me is if he sends a picture of a brand spanking new ms 660 and ms 200t. it will be hard to pass up because i could sell them if i wanted and just go buy a brand new NOS 3120. i know where there is 3 right now for $1200 just because they've been sitting on a dealer shelf for to long.

Tomorrow?? O ok.
That fish hook has some bad bait on it

Tomorrow?? O ok.
That fish hook has some bad bait on it

hahahahhh i hear ya. trust me i am not gonna get ripped off. i am not new to the game and this guy will not be sending these saws to me and i will not be sending my saw to him. he lives a few hours away and he says he will come to me to make the deal. if the saws ain't damn near brand new he can forget it. i will just tell him no. i will most likely not go for it because the 3120's are the most used saws i own. the only thing is i already have a buyer for the 200t. he is my bud and will pay what i want for it. the only way it will ever happen is if that 660 is brand new. i know i can sell it and go pick up a virgin NOS 3120. i'm not thinking yay some stihls i can own, i'm thinking yay some stihls i can sell to go buy a NOS 3120 and still have a couple bucks in my pocket. that way it will just be like i traded my older 3120 for a new unused one. just a little work selling the 660 but i'm sure i can get a buyer for it in short order too. i will post pics when i get them and let you guys know how it works out. the butterflies are still going off right now but my 3120 is sitting where it's supposed to and it ain't going anywhere unless i want it to.

Well if the 660 and 200T are like new, it isn't likely he would be willing to trade them for a used saw. If you need the saw you have, best not part with it. Maybe he'll sell his saws for cash and then you can work a deal without shorting yourself on vital equipment.

Sometimes even NEW saws are problematic. You KNOW what you have now.

That being said, Smart trades are a good thing.

Good Luck.

For what some people are paying for 200T's you could buy two 3120's
and then you have the MS660 to do with what you want. Sounds like a
good deal if the 200T and 660 are decent saws.

Lee

For what some people are paying for 200T's you could buy two 3120's
and then you have the MS660 to do with what you want. Sounds like a
good deal if the 200T and 660 are decent saws.

Lee

how much is a 200t worth? i know i could get $800-$900 for a ms 660 thats in wicked shape around here but the 200t i was thinking only about $300-$350. 2 3120's for selling 1 200t. just doesn't make sense cause those 3120's ain't cheap. cheaper then an 880 but still not cheap. i'm talking a NOS 3120 here. not used. i went over my current 3120's and they are tight so i know they will last especially because they will both have modded carbs with the high speed adjust. i'm interested to know what the 200t's are going for. i used to own an 009 and i hated that saw. i swore i would never get another stihl top handle again but this interests me.

how much is a 200t worth? i know i could get $800-$900 for a ms 660 thats in wicked shape around here but the 200t i was thinking only about $300-$350. 2 3120's for selling 1 200t. just doesn't make sense cause those 3120's ain't cheap. cheaper then an 880 but still not cheap. i'm talking a NOS 3120 here. not used. i went over my current 3120's and they are tight so i know they will last especially because they will both have modded carbs with the high speed adjust. i'm interested to know what the 200t's are going for. i used to own an 009 and i hated that saw. i swore i would never get another stihl top handle again but this interests me.

People are payin stupid money for new 200T's.
Upwards of 1200.00+. If this one is clean you
might see 800.00 plus.

Lee

People are payin stupid money for new 200T's.
Upwards of 1200.00+. If this one is clean you
might see 800.00 plus.

Lee

wow and where would i sell it for that kind of money? here in the trading post? i got a lead on another 3120 for $500. may just buy that and trade it to the guy that way my known good saws are safe :D

Who doesn't have pics of their saws at a moments notice?

Photo0540.jpg

stumping002.jpg

I would worry that the saws may be stolen, but it is probably nothing and is a legit deal. Do you use the 3120 for milling or felling old growth timber? Down in the lower 48 a 660 would be a better choice for felling and the 3120 would be better for milling, I run a 066 and it is usually too much saw for what I am cutting, a 441 is actually better suited for type of timber here in the PNW. If I had 2 3120's I would make the trade if the other saws were in great condition, then I would keep the 660 and sell the 200t, them little buggers are best for the fearless in the tops of trees.

i still haven't heard from the guy but will email him back right now. my 3120's are mill saws and i wouldn't use them for anything else. 390's and 660's are the top choice around here. just can't justify carrying anything heavier.

0k guys i got pics now. i'm thinking i'm gonna stay away from the deal because they are not as clean as i thought they would be. they look good but my 3120 is alot cleaner. still may buy that 500 bucker to trade him though. i will upload pics later when i'm at my laptop anyways to see what you guys think. would be cool to have a couple stihls in the line up but i'd probably just end up selling them. we'll see what you guys think later. i'm hoping to get them uploaded around 8.

here are those stihls. i got some more pictures but can't stay up all night uploading. luckily for me my new internet dish is getting installed wednesday morning so i will be able to upload pics without all the stress. i like these 2 saws and i'm sure they would clean up nicely but i like my 3120 more. if i get that other 3120 i will trade it for them. i'm offering the guy a generator for it so it won't cost me nothing if he goes for it. i will know more tomorrow or the next day.

278593d1360561048-stihls-007-jpg

278594d1360561383-stihls-008-jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/chainsaw/278600d1360558825-stihls-005-jpg

Last edited:
You answered your own question.

why trade a saw you have a use for in exchange for two saws you wouldn`t use and could only sell for the same amount selling the saw you already own would bring.

think with your dipstick Jimmy.

Latest posts

Back